“Great beachside location, big room, but needed maintenance.”

Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Pompano Beach/Oceanfront
Ranked #7 of 38 Hotels in Pompano Beach
Chicago
“Great beachside location, big room, but needed maintenance.”
Reviewed June 13, 2011

I recently stayed here, and was generally satisfied with a large BUT. The location is right on the beach in a nice quiet part of Pompano Beach south of a very posh residential area. The room was large and well appointed, as I think this property has been recently acquired by Marriott (judging by the banners on the building). There are a bunch of nice restaurants within reasonable driving distance, and the breakfast buffet was good and high quality (but repetitive after staying there a week). The rate was also good for a beachside property.

The negative was that when I arrived, about nothing in the room worked. Several lamps were not working (bulbs), the cable TV was out, the shower had no hot water (shower control had been improperly installed), and the room door took all of my 200 pounds to open it. The staff quickly fixed all of these items when I called, but it is very disappointing to have to be a part of their maintenance process. All of these items could easily have been reported by the maid staff.

If in the area, I will give it one more try.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank arozylo1
Ron K, Director of Hotel Operations at Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Pompano Beach/Oceanfront, responded to this review, December 18, 2016
I do apologize that your previous stay with us wasn't an amazing one. We'd love to make it up to you and have your next stay with us as near to perfection as it can be. The Residence Inn Pompano Beach is wrapping up an extensive renovation project in early 2017 and the hotel is even more amazing than before. If you return to the area, please consider us your "newest" home away from home in the Pompano Beach/Fort Lauderdale area. We'd love to see you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 8, 2011

A bureaucratic boondoggle ensued over a credit card messed up not, by me, but by them. More than two months after my stay, they called to say my card had not gone through. They were unwilling to extend any type of restitution for what they were responsible for. I called Marriott customer Service to report this, but discovered that the franchisee of this place is Concord Hotel management. Obviously, they care only about "the bottom line", not customer satisfaction.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
I do apologize that your previous stay with us wasn't an amazing one. We'd love to make it up to you and have your next stay with us as near to perfection as it can be. Concord is no longer the owner of this property and the new Residence Inn Pompano Beach is wrapping up an extensive renovation project in early 2017 and the hotel is even more amazing than before. If you return to the area, please consider us your "newest" home away from home in the Pompano Beach/Fort Lauderdale area. We'd love to see you again!
Miami, Florida
Reviewed June 1, 2011

We went there from Miami to get out of the city while the "Urban Beach Weekend" was going on in SoBe. We had a great time. The resort was quite busy with weddings and other events. They had a bounce house and movies by the pool at night for kids which was great. They offered beach food and drink service at both pool and beach which was a nice touch. We rented water skis and my husband was able to enjoy a massage at the lovely spa. The room was great. Two bedroom ocean front unit with a fantastic view of the light house and Ft. Lauderdale skyline from both balconies. Staff was great and it was nice to have our windows cleaned by valet and water bottles being placed in the car before our departure.

Room Tip: Two bedroom ocean front worth the extra money.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Margaritagirl33133
dheinlein, Manager at Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Pompano Beach/Oceanfront, responded to this review, June 3, 2011
Hi Margaritagirl,

I’m so glad you and your family enjoyed your visit; it sounds like you had a great time and I’d like you to know it was our pleasure to have you stay with us! We look forward to seeing you again the next time you need a weekend getaway.

Take care,

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed May 31, 2011

I'll add my two cents as we also stayed over the Memorial Day weekend. Overall, I liked the hotel quite a bit, and my teenagers LOVED it. I travel very frequently, and I am very picky about hotels, normally opting for more higher-end properties when it allows. The hotel is far from perfect, and in a way I agree that it probably doesn't have that Marriott quality touch. I live in South Florida, so I am very familiar with the area, and most of the local hotels. I would definitely go back. With that said:

1. This is an older former condo that was renovated, so it does stray somewhat from the standard Residence Inn layout. Yes, I did notice plenty of signs of wear, mainly from it being an older bulding on the ocean. The furnisning are decent, probably in need of an updating, but not bad at all.

2. I think room type and location make a difference here. We opted for the two bedroom oceantfront. The living room with a sofa bed served as our third bedroom. The view was stunning from the entire suite. The living room had floor to ceiling windows, and the two bedrooms had furnished balconies. Even my teens were wowed with the view.

3. One of the bedrooms had bathroom/shower in the room, and the other bathtub/shower was seperate, off of the tiny but modern kitchen. This was nice actually if someone is using the livingroom sofabed as it avoids being "locked" out of the bathroom. Both rooms had one queen bed, and I think that is the only option in the two bedroom oceanfront suite. A king would have been nice...All three rooms had nice wall mounted flatscreen tv's, but the one in the living room had this odd giant cable protruding from the wall into the tv and neither that nor the electrical outlets had covers...not a big deal, but just one of those little things that adds up if you are picky.

4. The valet only situation at $19.00 daily is a joke. The front desk staff was hit or miss, with some being very helpful, others mediocre. The restaurant, Oceano was just ok. I have a feeling that Marriott doesn't run that operation. The Marriott website says it is just open for dinner, but I noticed signs saying now open for lunch, but as others pointed out, it closes at 9 weekdays anyway (I think 11 weekends). The service was very slow, and unorganized, and it did seem dead most times. I noticed one bartender, one server..both young girls in short shorts but that is a South Florida thing...and one older male waiter in traditional waitstaff attire. They also walked the beach/pool area serving drinks and food, and that hike to the beach would not be easy. They were friendly, and the prices were reasonable. Both hotels on either side of the Marriott offer outdoor tiki bar type places that seemed very casual with more of a local crowd. We had lunch one day next door at Christines Tiki bar at the Lighthouse Cove condo, and it was decent. It was outside, and had music, etc. So it was fun, but nothing special.

5. The pool area was just ok. It was small, with two seperate, side by side pools and a hot tub. It was very very crowded on one of the days we were there, and space was non-existant, and towels were hard to find. The other times, it was nice, almost empty. One of the pools was very cloudy, not sure why. To me, the beach there in Pompano is outstanding. It is huge, nice soft sand, and I always think that beach is very clean. Yes, you do see a few soda/water bottles about, but that is mainly from them blowing away from you , or people leaving them behind, washing up, etc. Nothing really the Marriott can do about that, and again, that is a very nice clean beach. I didn't really have an issue with the beach chair/cabana rentals. I think the cabanas are like $20 a day, but I didn't bother, and just used one of the many chairs sitting about on the beach. I think the Marriott rents out that service to the water sports business located to the left of the hotel. I used them to rent jetskis and take a banana boat ride. They were very nice people and I would recommend them.

So while this is not a 4 or 5 star property, the location is great for the beach, and for old Florida styple places to eat and shop, you have Lauderdale by the Sea a little bit south, and Deerfield beach a little bit north. Both are family friendly day and night, and have causual beachy places that you would look for on a vacation.

I imagine that Memorial Day is one of their busier weekends, and they should have staffed accordingly, making the restaurant and pool issues less noticible.

If you are looking for something high end, there are plenty of choices, from the Marriott Harbor Beach, The W, The Ritz, The Atlantic, etc.....

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank JRFLL
It’s great to know that you and your family enjoyed the holiday weekend with us; we’re glad to hear from you and appreciate your comments! You’re right in that we’re not your typical Residence Inn; we do offer meals other than breakfast, a bar, full service spa and gym with fitness classes. We hope you come see us again and try some of those amenities while you’re here!

Best regards,

Delray Beach, Florida
Reviewed May 30, 2011

I travel to FL quite frequently. While this hotel is directly on the beach, it has much that needs to be worked on. The rooms need better attention and care, housekeeping needs to do a better job of restocking towels, valet wasn't helpful at $19/day, service in restaurant needs to be improved 10x over and the pool wasn't clean and without enough towels. The room had a great view and the beach was great but otherwise, I'd pass on this property again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank liliam
dheinlein, Manager at Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Pompano Beach/Oceanfront, responded to this review, June 13, 2011
Dear liliam,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel; I apologize that we did not live up to expectation. We’re take your comments very seriously, as our goal is to exceed expectation with every guest, every time, and I regret that we fell short with your stay. Please know that we are working toward 100% satisfaction in each area you mentioned, and hope you’ll return to give us a second chance to “wow” you.

Best regards,

Kansas City
Reviewed May 30, 2011

Writing this while it stilll fresh on mind. we just got in from 4 days at TRIBM Pompano tonight. We love visiting this section of Lauderale. Minutes from Lauderdale by the Sea and the great restaurants/bars like Aruba's, Houston's, Blue Moon and Shooters. But we had our up's and downs here. We traveled with my brother and sis in law and reserved a two bedroom oceanview suite. So here is my observations;
THE GOOD
1. Great Front Desk Staff. Typical Marriott. Great customer service on point.
2. We had room 1011. Two bdrm with stunning views. Room worked for two couples but the main sitting area also served as bedroom #2.
3. Loved the comp breakfast. Powdered eggs but other than than, waffles, breads, fruits, milks, coffee, juices, cereals, etc.

THE BAD
1. Beach could use a bit more cleaning as could the hotel grounds. (power wash decks, pool area, etc.)
2. Any of their Especial evening meals. we stayed over Memorial Day and the "BBQ" was some broiled hotdogs and hamburgers for $19.95???
3. Parking. but they do a good job with valet. Some revues mention $20 a day. WE DID NOT EXPERIENCE this. tip well and you might just not pay either.

THE UGLY
1. HOUSEKEEPIING; terrible. the worst we've ever experienced. Even aftoer tipping well we were left with ZERO towels when we got back to our room to get ready to go out to eat at 5pm. Caused us to have to change plans.
2. THE OCEAN; had trash rolling in it all day long most days. DISGUSTING and unbelievable. I have video of my wife pulling syringes out of the water. True story.

So now it's up to you. great hotel but needs a bit more of the Marriott touch on it.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fishnjarhead
Thanks very much for sharing your experience fishnjarhead. I greatly appreciate your candor and would like you to know that I was very happy to hear the good, concerned about the bad and upset by the ugly. I feel badly that you had to change your plans due to the lack of towels and have addressed this with our housekeeping team. While we do our best to remove trash from the beach throughout the day, there is no predicting what items float onto our beach. That being said, I still regret the encounter. On the upside, the front desk was excited when I shared your review with them and hope you return so that they can thank you in person. You mentioned that you and your wife love this part of the area, and I hope you’ll return as well to allow us another opportunity to “wow” you in every aspect.

Yours truly,

Reviewed May 30, 2011

Located on the beach with 2 pools and one hot tub.
Rooms nice size, with full fridge, two burners and a convection microwave, washer and dryer in each room.
Now the bad: air conditioner was very loud waking us up on several occasions, with small child, so we finally elected to shut off making nights uncomfortable. Bed sheets were changed after 4 nights. Food at hotel is less than stellar and valet is a must at added cost of $12/day.
Still overall a good experience.

• Stayed May 2011
#8 of 38 in Pompano Beach
Beachcomber Resort and Villas
Beachcomber Resort and Villas
#3 of 38 in Pompano Beach

Been to Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Pompano Beach/Oceanfront? Share your experiences!