“Understated Value”
Review of The Forum

The Forum
“Understated Value”
Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

When we checked in, we were surprised at the comfortable quarters. The single king sized bed
was one of the most comfortable beds I had ever slept in. Plain furniture but adequate for storage.
Small shower stall but water was strong and effective.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Magicmanpete

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 15, 2014

I booked a room over the phone, easy and quick, and was able to check-in the same day. The front desk staff were friendly and knowledgeable about the area when helping me with directions. The beds were comfortable and the blackout shades made it easy to snooze, even well into the afternoon. The free breakfast had a decent selection, but get there fast because it can go quick. The bathrooms were very clean, but only come with soap, no shampoo or other toiletries. The only minor problems during my stay were the shower size, which is pretty small, and the TV channel selection. There was only a handful of available TV channels and most of them weren't very entertaining (mostly news, no movie channels). The Forum is also an alcohol/smoke free building, which didn't affect me, but if you're a drinker/smoker, you'll have to do it somewhere else. Overall, I enjoyed my stay and was a great place for an affordable price. Thanks, Forum!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Ben W
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed December 17, 2013

This "hotel" used to be a hospital 20 years ago and still looks like it. It has all the coziness of a 1970s Nursing Home. My biggest complaint was there was NO HOT WATER IN THE SHOWER! I let it run for 15 minutes changed the handle from left to right and it was still ICE COLD.I moved the bedside table to plug in my phone and there was a quarter inch of dust and a used condom package on the surge protector which had about 5 things plugged into it. The lighting in the room was industrial flood lamps in the ceiling like you would find in a warehouse. The television was a big old tube type from about 1985. The furniture was old, ugly, and worn. The carpet was the thinnest ugly brown commercial carpet typical of a cheap motel. The bed was comfortable however when I pulled back the cover I found a nasty curly pubic hair on the sheet. The bathroom had all the allure of a truckstop on the interstate. The hallways are linoleum. There are pictures of smiling third world orphans on the walls in the room, makes you think of those UNICEF commercials used to guilt you into donating a dollar a day for a starving child in the Third World. This hotel is attached to a Missionary church and apparently is mostly used for the members. I was advised no smoking or alcohol was allowed in the room and had to sign a waiver stating I would not bring any into the room. Oh and did I forget to mention that this place has all the charm of a nursing home, I was fully expecting a nurse to check in on me during the night.I would only recommend this "hotel" to someone I intensely dislike.

Room Tip: My only tip is to run and choose another place to stay.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank cigarman2010

Travelers are raving about these Pompano Beach hotels

Outer Banks NC
Reviewed November 23, 2013

My 3rd stay; always clean; always nice, helpful people in front, although not always speedy. There were some issues with our key card, but I think it was because we checked in after midnight. The room was spacious, clean and very comfortable, and yes, the bathroom was a little small, but not overly so.

My suggestion to them would be to go ahead and break out the dollar to offer shampoo, with an option for conditioner and/or lotion. They could charge 50c a bottle for extra stuff; there'd still be a small profit if they buy in bulk or @ Dollar Tree, and it's not going to be much of a money maker anyhow. I had my shampoo left over from another hotel, but regretted not having conditioner. Oh well; it's certainly not a deal breaker for me.

Again, it was clean - and peaceful and very pleasant. Room was quiet, even though kids were running around in the hall near the lobby -- no problem with kids as long as they didn't keep me awake! I saw no bugs, no dirty anything. Breakfast was fine and sufficient; pancakes, cereal, bagels & cream cheese, toast, fruit, oatmeal, coffee, 3 kinds of juice, choice of fat free, 2% or regular milk, oatmeal ... muffins. There are probably things I forgot to mention. If you need eggs and bacon or sausage, well, you might just stop at the nearby Publix grocery store & pick up what you need to put in the refrigerator overnight and microwave in the morning. Most of us can do fine without those for a day or two. Personally, I don't want the meats anyhow; I do like an egg many days, but wouldn't pay an extra $10 or $20 for a hotel to get a mini-shampoo and egg, since it's worth a dollar or less for both!

As long as you can handle them not having shampoo & a continental breakfast, this place is great! It really is a peaceful atmosphere, which I love. I also like the Christian emphasis -- for anyone who is disturbed by it, or by the vague ex-hospital atmosphere (I didn't realize the first time I went there that that was the reason it didn't seem quite like your standard hotel; I just figured a Christian retreat center would have a different atmosphere) - but if these things bother you, well, I guess this just isn't the right place for you. Personally, I think if you're Jewish or Muslim or Hindu or Buddhist or Jain (my apologies to any religion I'm forgetting), you shouldn't be expected to hide it, so let's let Christians express themselves too. If the focus - and this weekend the emphasis seemed to be on missions -- bothers you in any way, I do think you should be made aware ahead of time so you can go ahead and make other arrangements.

It's interesting; the first 2 times I signed something saying I wouldn't have alcohol or smoke there; no problem at all since I didn't want to anyhow. This time, we had to sign that we understood there would be a $250 fine if we DID smoke or drink on the premises. We kinda wanted to have a glass of wine, so my husband drank his before coming. Not sure about the emphasis on not-drinking for Christians, since the communion service (with wine) was a part of it from the start, (the Last Supper & earlier), but it does mean we shouldn't be bothered by drunk and noisy people like in many other hotels, and I do appreciate that. And doubly the no-smoking part. I kinda wonder if some of the complaints are from people who didn't like the missionary atmosphere & had to find something else to complain about. No, nobody asked me if I was a Christian or preached to me, but there was a slide show on the wall near the elevator that told me what groups were meeting, when church services were (not on the nights I've been there), other things going on, like a suggestion to wear a purple ribbon against domestic violence -- and even spa services!

I liked the cheery kids on our walls holding pictures and signs in there native languages - I saw Russian-like, Bengali-like, & one I couldn't identify. Nothing was creepy at all. My husband was a little weirded out by the converted-hospital idea just at first, but then said this is the best place for us to take a short weekend-getaway. The no-amenities thing wasn't right; Just 2 small soaps - & a coffeemaker with 2 kinds of coffee, the usual additions pack that goes with it, and plastic water glasses, styrofoam coffee cups. I'm keeping a mug in my car for microwaving.

Oh yes, OUR room was a bit on the chilly side. It wasn't until we were ready to leave that we noticed the thermostat was set below 60 - no problem, fine with a sheet & a blanket was available, but try finding your thermostat and adjusting it before complaining. If the thermostat in your room takes too long to cool down, I'm sure they'd find you another one assuming it's available.

A young girl was there with her mother, planning to rent a space for her sweet-sixteen birthday party when I was leaving - sweet!

Again, if you're OK with a place that's a little different & unashamedly Christian -- and bring your own shampoo, unless they start taking my suggestion -- this one is the best of the not-too expensive bunch. I don't think you'll find anything else that's halfway this nice for under $75. (Had a $49 coupon for the Budgetel and decided to drive 20 or so min more to the Forum).

Kudos to the Forum! But please consider adding little individual shampoos w option for conditioner & lotion. Thank you for a clean, comfy and calm space!

Room Tip: I can't rate swimming pool or room service, as they likely don't exist. The 3 rooms I was in...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sarita989
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed November 14, 2013

I Stayed there during layovers on my way out of the country. The place is ok but you will need to order food for delivery as the surroundings are not safe at all.

There are other, better choices around the airport that have restaurant withings waling distance in safe areas.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Repe P
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed November 3, 2013

We checked in for one night from Saturday to Sunday. The room was fine, clean and lots of space. The beds are comfortable, seem to be new mattresses.
The breakfast was free and that's exactly what it looked like. There was 5 different kind of cereal so if you love that kind of breakfast you are in the right place. It was 45 min before the cafe closed but there was almost nothing on the table. No bread whatsoever, about 6 cinnamon bagel, and like 7 muffins. That's the best they could put on the buffet table. Some fruits and empty milk bottles. I asked one of the employee to get me some regular bread. She was way too busy to prepare her own breakfast and as she left, never came back. Than several more employees showed up for the breakfast what is suppose to be there for the guests. Maybe that's the hotel's specialty. Get what you can before the employees take it!

• Stayed November 2013
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I had people coming from out of town to stay at this dump and I should have done more research. My poor mother and father in law really were uncomfortable here along with the rest of the party and when we told them we wanted to check out and not have the rest of the nights billed to us they actually put up a fuss and when I tried to explain that we dont mind paying for that one night but not the rest they said we needed 24 hours to cancel. Horrible experience and made my wedding weekend dampen by having to shelf out money twice. Learned my lesson and never going to cheap out again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
#3 of 38 in Pompano Beach
Sea Cove Motel
Sea Cove Motel
#28 of 38 in Pompano Beach

Been to The Forum? Share your experiences!