“Exactly as advertised”

The Forum
Winnipeg, Canada
“Exactly as advertised”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

If you're looking for a good place for children this is not the place. This is your basic room to sleep in and spend the day elsewhere.

Converted hospital into hotel rooms and seems to be associated with a religious mission of some sort.

Staff is friendly and accommodating and the rooms were very clean.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tibear33

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I am not exageratting by any means when I tell you that this is an OLD converted hospital... AND on top of that it is some sort of religious mission institution. I booked this supposed 3-star hotel for a business trip and literally had a panic attack upon entering the room (my heart seriously started racing and I was shaking.)

Upon checking in, I was presented with an agreement not to smoke or drink in or near the hotel- I don't smoke and was alone on a business trip so I had no intention of drinking, so I signed the agreement but found it very odd. I walked through the hallway upon exiting the elevator and it looked exactly like a 1980's hospital ward. I got to my room and it was evident that this was an old patient room. They had added a full-sized bed, a mini-fridge, and a tv and now it was supposed to be considered a hotel room. The bathroom was horrendous - sterile, ceramic, and tile - exactly what you would find in a 1980's hospital.

I immediately called the front desk and asked for a refund, they told me I had to contact the website I booked through. The website rep tried to help me, but when she spoke to the management they told her the billing person would have to make this decision and they would not give us an answer. I am not sure if they will end up refunding me, but I got the hell out of that place ASAP! I booked a 4-star hotel for just a few more dollars and thanked God for not having to stay there for the night. I was literally terrified of that place- it is beyond creepy and weird and as a young woman traveling alone on business I could not risk staying there. I meant to take pictures but I couldn't get out of there quick enough and forgot to take them in my haste!

STAY AWAY!!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Travel4Biz518

Travelers are raving about these Pompano Beach hotels

West Grove
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have stayed here every time I come down to visit my elderly Aunt. I only stay 1 night. It is clean comfortable enough and everyone has been very pleasant. I would not recommend this for vacationers because this is a no frills place. It used to be a hospital and now it is a Christian Center. I like it for my purpose, it fits the bill for a good price. For utility it is fine, for vacations I expect more luxury.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank JPat40
Crystal River, Florida
Reviewed January 18, 2013

We got to the hotel, noticed it had a weird layout and seemed to be part of some sort of Christian conference center, and inside there were bible quotes all over the place. We had only planned on a one night night stay, so we decided to take our chances. We checked in and went to our room, which had two double beds, not the king bed that we reserved. I called the desk, and was told that you get what is available, so I went to the desk, was told the same thing until I pushed the issue, the they pulled someone else's resevation and wanted to switch our room with theirs (I assume they were hoping that the other people wouldn't care that they weren't getting a king bed), but by this time my wife and I were so aggravated we asked for a refund, upon which we were told that we had to contact Hotels.com since we booked through them. We called them and they called the hotel and were told that they tried to accomodate us, but we refused. Anyway, after a few calls to Hotels.com, the hotel has told them and us that they will not refund our money....mighty Christian of them in my opinion.

Room Tip: Do NOT go to this hotel, even a free room is not a good value!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank billf155
Endicott, New York
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Come on For 79.00 you get a clean room, and gets you in the area you want. And the money is going to Catholic Charities. Give me a break. Bottom line if you were going on a vacation with kids, you would want more out of the hotel. Pools, etc. But like us, we were only there to sleep. It was fine.Close to 95, 2 exits from Pompeno,close to beach. Got off the cruise ship and got to stay closer to friends for a great price. Will use it again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Absolutely horrible experience. Checked in and checked out within 1 hour because I had no idea the hotel was actually inside of a large office style building / old hospital and would not appear to be a hotel at all. It was a mix between a hospital, office building, and small section at the end of a hallway with some rooms they refer to as a hotel. The wifi (internet) did not work on my phone or on my computer. There was hair left on the shower floor and the room had a foul odor. The bathroom was tiny and disgusting - far from what you would expect in a hotel. I found out later that this used to in fact be a hospital which explained a lot. I checked myself into a Courtyard Marriott about 15 minutes away in Coral Springs for $100 more and stayed in a real hotel with no problems and a very pleasant experience. I had no problem paying for the first night at this hotel since it was a last minute cancellation due to the horrible condition of the hotel and the fact I didn't want to stay any longer than I already had. I didn't even unpack!! However, I figured they would in good faith do the right thing and refund me for the additional two nights that I was not staying. Nope. After waiting to speak with Carma, the manager, and allegedly the only person who can handle credits/refunds/and complaints (5 days of "she is on the other line", "she is with a guest", "she is out of the office", "she'll call you back", etc), I have given up!! I have never had a difficult time speaking with a manager about an issue at any hotel before. I have been unable to reach Carma (954-784-1111 ext 1007) since 11/04 (it's now 11/11) and in my opinion, unacceptable, unprofessional, and a poor way to run a business!! Do yourself a favor and find a different "hotel" or just choose the Courtyard Marriott which is fairly close and in a much better area.
*11/14: Update: Carma finally returned my calls, however, claimed she never received any messages other than 1 voicemail, claims I never checked out, claims there are no problems with the property, and lastly, refuses to give any refund towards my 3 night stay that I checked in and checked out within the first hour of being there. What a joke this place is!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank Rich B
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I booked this room through "Cheap O Rooms", I had to travel from Daytona Bch Fl to Pompano for my Grandfathers funeral service. The price was great, so I booked it!!
When we arrived (thank God for GPS), I was amazed with what I saw from the outside, the rate was so cheap, I had not exspected such a big beautiful building.
Only after reading these reviews did I realize this was a converted hospital, still not a big deal.
The tv was an old school tv, and the remote control was broken, I went to the front desk, they gave me new batteries, although I knew when I went down there it was not what it needed. The lights on the remote were lit, if the battery was dead, that wouldn't be the case...still not the problem.
When I checked out and arrived at the funeral, I realized I left a black dress there. I called the next day (Monday 11/12) and let them know I had left it. The woman who took my first call confirmed that they had my dress, and then, rather than take my information, she transferred me to the "secretary" to leave my information.
I called back to check on the dress, and the process that wold be needed to return it. The same woman (Vikki) I spoke with Monday said they did not have it. I reminded her that we had spoken earlier in the week and that she already confirmed that they did. I then get the "supervisor" on duty who again told me they didn't have it. I went over the conversation I had on Monday, as well as the message that I left on the vm I was transferred to.
She asked me the size of the dress, the name on the tag of the dress...are you kidding me??? I told her I was unsure of the size, it could be this or that, adn the brand of the dress!!! Yeah, alright!! She ended up disconnecting the call. I am certain that the maids, or the desk clerks, or the SUPERVISOR (and I use that term loosley) liked and kept the dress. Pathetic!!! Abosolutly PATHETIC.
Messages from God are all over the hotel, and what a pleasent ora that gave, but to steal my dress, now that isn't very Christian now is it?
Honesty and customer service are the most important qualities I look fo rin anything, this place failed there, and I will never stay there again. What a huge disappointment!!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Cheryl C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pompano Beach
Universal Palms Hotel
Universal Palms Hotel
#88 of 128 in Fort Lauderdale
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,358 reviews
Extended Stay America - Fort Lauderdale - Cypress Creek - Park North
Extended Stay America - Fort Lau...
#27 of 37 in Pompano Beach
Beachcomber Resort and Villas
#3 of 37 in Pompano Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,320 reviews
Sands Harbor Hotel and Marina Pompano Beach

Been to The Forum? Share your experiences!