WINNER WONDERLAND

The Forum
Lake Park, Florida
“Not what is seems”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

Was expecting a hotel with wonderful rooms with the picture the hotel shows. The rooms smell of dirty diapers, bed spread dirty, no restaurant within walking distance, located in the industry center, no swimming pool. Then come to find out the hotel is adjoined to a dialysis center for those who cannot drive home.

Room Tip: Pictures are not always true.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank Frank S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
North Dakota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2012

It was a one night stay, it is a remodeled hospital that has been turn into a motel. Had a few maintenance issues but nothing major. Staff was friendly. I don't know that I would give it a three star rating, more like 2 1/2.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank bs4u2c
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2012

Staying here was a unique experience. For Ft. Lauderdale, this hotel is very inexpensive. It was clean, and fairly well maintained. But....

I talked to the gentleman at the front desk, and he said that he believed that this was originally part of John Knox Village, a geriatric facility located adjacent to the "hotel". The building served as a geriatric rehab/hospital facility for John Knox. John Knox sold the building to Marie Green, who donated it upon her death to a Christian Missionary group. The group uses most of the building for various missionary functions, including a conference center; but decided to operate left-over space as a hotel. Since it is run by Christian missionaries, there is no smoking or drinking allowed (which was fine with me.)

The rooms are old converted hospital rooms. You can tell this because they are arranged in a circle around an open circular area, which was obviously formerly a nursing station. Our room had a flat-screen TV, new appointments, but there were some worn spots on the blanket and the bed was very soft. However I would come back here.

A breakfast was included. This consisted of frozen bagels arranged near two toaster stations, cream cheese, butter, frozen waffles, cereals, milk, juice and coffee. The breakfast area is setup like a cafeteria with some really retro furnishings - the kind you would have found 50 years ago in a dinner; but new and clean.

Beware that finding this hotel is difficult without a GPS. It is adjacent to I95, but you have to go on a number of local roads to get to an exit. Map it out first.

Overall, if you can put up with the weirdness, this is a good deal.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank froggy500
Sacramento, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2012

First of all, this hotel is run by a religious organization. There is a no alcohol policy which I have never encountered before.

The hotel is an old converted hospital and you can definitely tell. Be careful because the room doors don't always lock when you close them (you have to lock the actual door knob). The rooms are sterile feeling and dirty. We seriously contemplated checking out and going to a different hotel and probably would have if it weren't so late.

Hotel staff is rude and not friendly. Overall, the hotel has a creepy vibe and I would not recommned staying here.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank amybigone

Travelers are raving about these Pompano Beach hotels

Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2012

We were looking for cheap accommodation prior to going on our cruise in April 2012. I reviewed several sites prior to booking so was aware it was a no smoking, no alcohol, ex hospital converted to a hotel. The hotel was clean with big rooms, free WiFi and printing available. The staff were very helpful, our guy was dressed in a suit. For breakfast there was bagels, cereal, juice tea and coffee and fruit. Rooms had a small fridge and a microwave in them and a laundry was available. I can see how Lauren gets her comments it is very clinical and dark, my wife felt similar but having a man with her kept her fears at bay, the room at breakfast needs some music. There is other medical centers, child care, offices and churches at this site. For value for money it ticked our box and we returned after the cruise for two more nights. Yes it did feel different but we would return again. Reviews will vary depending on peoples backgrounds and expectations at the time.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing towards the beach as the views are better.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Jacksonville
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2012

First off, this place needs to openly admit online that they are a converted hospital. This hotel looks nice from the outside but it's in the ghetto. The front desk has to let you in at night and when you're walking down the halls there it's eerie. I went with my best friend because we were just booking something to sleep at last minute for a few hours before we went on our last minute cruise the next morning. We had drove all evening from Jacksonville, Florida to this hotel. We were both frightened upon coming to this hotel. There are hospital corridors, you have to press buttons for the doors in the halls to open. Not to mention there is such an eerie feel here. The lobby upstairs even looks like a hospital lobby. When we got to our room the windows are latched up just like a jail cell/ hospital/ insane asylum. The air was not fresh and smelled like a hospital. The showers had way too much pressure and would flood the bathroom upon showering and were the same lay out as a hospital bathroom; we were so frightened in our room we both slept an hour or two and slept with the lights and television on and we also showered with the doors open. It probably was just our girly imaginations but we felt like the place could've been haunted. Never again! The staff was okay and the other occupants we met, but the place in general was just spooky. A plus, breakfast was included so we had bagels and coffee and left for our cruise the next morning. (Our real date of travel was July 2010)

Room Tip: Spend more on another hotel!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Lauren B
Buford, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2012

Three days ago I saw this hotel and was excited it looked really great, but since my mom and I did not know where were going to be locations wise we just kept it in mind. We started searching for a hotel earlier this afternoon, and saw that it still had rooms available. I booked a room for the night through Hotels.com. When we got to the hotel the front desk gentleman couldn't help us. He went to ask his manager which we had to wait about 25 min for her just to make an appearance. Then she just told us they are overbooked and it’s the websites fault and that she's calling them right now, she was kind of rude it felt almost as if it was our fault, how was we to know they didn't have rooms? About an hour later she finally got to a point of she's moving us down the road to an extended stay. I checked on my phone about the reviews on the extended stays in the area, the one just had really bad reviews, in a bad area...ect. when I asked her if it’s this hotel she didn't answer me, I told her I saw the reviews online, and she said not to pay attention to them she has 'walked' many guests over to this place before and no one has ever complained, and that they were save there( we are two females alone). She gave me her card in case anything was wrong to contact her again. When we got to the hotel the front desk clerk didn't really know what was going on as if the lady from the forum did not explain well what happened. We went out for dinner when we got back there was a cop car parked in front of the building (not in a parking space, like if it was just a routine check-up or anything) there was also numerous 'dodgy' people hanging around. This hotel is a downgrade from the forum also about $40 cheaper she did not offer to refund the difference and acted as if she was doing us a big favor. When I called her to ask about the money difference and the down grade, she got very offensive and downright rude, she kept saying it’s not her problem, all I asked her was what steps to take. I then called hotels.com explained what happened and asked them from who can I claim the $40 I was helped by a gentleman, and transferred. The lady I ended up speaking to was very helpful, I explained to her that I don't feel safe in this area, plus I don't understand how we got downgrade and why the woman was so rude, she apologized then changed us to the Marriott hotel, even thou it’s across the street ( it has about a half mile 'drive-up' to the entrance) it has a safe parking area, and is a nicely up kept hotel, no cops in the parking area and no dodgy people. I'm thankful to hotels.com for the help, and really disappointing by the Forum, I was really excited for staying there. I'm just sad that they pride themselves as a Christian hotel but the manager's attitude was everything but Christian. It seems like she tried to benefit at our expense, on a situation that should not even have occurred.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Carlien T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pompano Beach
Universal Palms Hotel
Universal Palms Hotel
#77 of 127 in Fort Lauderdale
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,268 reviews
Sheraton Suites Cypress Creek Ft. Lauderdale
Sheraton Suites Cypress Creek Ft...
#63 of 127 in Fort Lauderdale
Fort Lauderdale Marriott North
Fort Lauderdale Marriott North
#18 of 127 in Fort Lauderdale
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,243 reviews
Extended Stay America - Fort Lauderdale - Cypress Creek - Park North
Extended Stay America - Fort Lau...
#25 of 36 in Pompano Beach
Fort Lauderdale Marriott Pompano Beach Resort & Spa
Clarion Inn Fort Lauderdale
Clarion Inn Fort Lauderdale
#64 of 127 in Fort Lauderdale

Been to The Forum? Share your experiences!