Surf Rider Resort
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$192
$179
Marriott Hotels
  • Beachfront
  • Pool
Sea Steps Suites(Pompano Beach)(Great Value!)
$85
The Palms On Ocean(Pompano Beach)
$79
$154
$119
$214
$125
Shores Resort(Pompano Beach)(Great Value!)
$75
Sea Horse Motel(Pompano Beach)(Great Value!)
$99
Sea Cove Motel(Pompano Beach)
$105
$58
Surfside Resort(Pompano Beach)(Great Value!)
$169
Hotwire.com
All reviewsmurphy bedhalf bathwalk in closetliving roomacross the streetnice stayrent beach chairsdressing areafront desknice patiogood sizehot tubfirst floorwasher dryermakeupunitshuffleboard
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 17, 2011

I stayed here May 7-14 with some friends. We are all young guys in our teens/early 20s. For us, this place was perfect because it was a basic resort and we got a cheap rate through my grandparent's timeshare. The beach access is very convenient being right across the street. Also, there is a bus stop right in front of the resort, which was helpful for us since my brother took our car with him to the Keys for a few days. This resort has a very nice pool with an 8-9' deep end (nice!) and it has 2 shuffleboard courts and a tennis court. We had a one bedroom condo and it was extremely roomy. Even with the murphy bed down, there was still plenty of room to move around, and we fit a full size air mattress on the bedroom floor without a problem. The murphy bed is a very nice feature. The staff was super friendly. What we didn't like was that the whole living room has a tile floor. Also, everything inside seems outdated. But since we were a group of young guys, we weren't looking for frills so it wasn't a big deal! They did not have wi-fi at this resort. Also, we killed 10 cockroaches in our room during our week at this resort - not a big deal to us (this IS in south Florida!), but some people might have a problem with this. Also, our room did not have a patio. Only a few rooms had patios or balconies. Despite the negatives, everyone staying at the resort seemed to be having a great time hanging out at the pool! We definitely enjoyed our stay! I would recommend this resort to anyone who is looking for a cheap vacation with no frills. The pool and beach are nice and if you are like me, you will spend most of your time there anyway. And definitely take a day trip to go snorkeling at John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park in Key Largo!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
7  Thank sal42
Reviewed April 7, 2011

My family of four stayed here for 5 nights. They only give you enough towels for one each person to use once. They only replenish your towels once a week. They expect you to wash them yourself in the coin operated machines inside your unit. Why would I want to do this on vacation? Also, there is no maid service daily so be prepared to take out your trash daily. If you don't, ants will come. Also, the drain stopper in the shower had to be pulled up to use the shower. You don't even want to know what came up with the drain stopper. The murphy bed in the living room was very uncomfortable. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank kitty60745
Reviewed December 26, 2010

I had a great time at the Rider not because of the amenities (pool was great, coin-op washer dryer in room, beach close by, etc.) but because Howard kept things lively and interesting, He was the most helpful person there - although others were polite not too interested in going out of their way to make your stay more pleasant. Negatives, had to change rooms because of non-working ac (assured that it was) had little help with moving despite the fact that I was traveling with two elderly people, smoking area was too close to office and pool area, and I didn't have a car (not their fault). Met some other very interesting people along the way. All in all I would go back if Howard is still there! KC
PS: Could have used frames under twin beds and a tv in that room.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank casey0234
Reviewed July 31, 2010

First off the ad never mentions how far from the beach it actually is. Beach access yes but far walk & can't even see the ocean or beach from the nicer condo's towering in front. We asked for a 2 bedroom condo for 4 adults, got to our room to find a queen bed in 1 room & 2 twins in the other. Went back to office to ask for a room with 2 queens & was informed all rooms are the same but there is a larger wall bed. Came back to room to find the wall bed in the middle of the living room. On top of that our room smelled strongly of cigarette smoke & was SOOOO hot!!! Turned the air down but still didn't cool off & NO fans to turn on. Called to have a maintenance man come to check it out. A knock on the door revealed a Jamaican man with a mouth full of gold teeth & dread locks. We didn't know whether to give him our wallets or invite him in to check out the air. He came in & immediately started repeating "this air conditioner is brand new. People been stayin here for 3 weeks. Then he proceeded to turn our air back up!!!! & said he would tell his manager! A little while later he came back & repeated what he had already said, therefore I told him he was being very rude & could just leave. So he stood there arguing with me about how he was not being rude!!!!! So all in all this place is horrible!!! Too far from beach, rooms hot as Hades, old fashioned, horrible ammenities, & RUDE staff!!!! Please for your family or friends sake stay somewhere else trust me!!! I rarely complain when it comes to the beach but this is by FAR the WORST place I've ever stayed. Even have to pay $1.50 to wash your clothes in your own room!!!

2  Thank Gagrits83
Reviewed April 1, 2010

I actually own this timeshare, and didn't know what to expect. But, expectations were well over met !
I was in room 307 (third floor with balcony). Only 2 units in this entire complex has one.
The other unit is 207. Overlooks the pool and hottub area.
The BBQ is also close by, just down the steps, and you're right at it.

The room itself, you might think your in an apartment suite. It's HUGE !
Master bedroom is the average size of a living room, with walk in closet and bathroom/shower/bath. Has it's on TV and DVD player as well.

2nd bedroom aslo has it's own bathroom and walk-in shower.
Coin operated washer/dryer is also in the suite.

Wifi Internet actually worked from the balcony. I spent evenings on it, surfing the net, drinking beer, and smoking (we didn't smoke in the room, as you should not, out of curtisity to others).
No need to, anyways, with that large balconey, with patio furniture.

Living area is very cozy, nice furniture, with full kitchen, which is also nicely sized.

Beach is about a 2 min walk, accross the street, and thru a private path.

Now, the "negatives", not the right word, but inconviences:

The A1A street, to cross over to the beach can at times be busy. I personally never had a problem crossing it. But, for slower walkers, I guess it can be a challenge at times, since nor a crosswalk or traffic light is available.

Bring your own coffee, even coffee filters (but I heard, the front desk has filters, and you just need to ask).
Dishwasher detergent is provided (in the kitchen cupboard), but no liquid soap for hand washing dishes. No big deal. MY aunt, just used some of the powder stuff, instead for the small dish-washing.
Electrical switches.... didn't find out what they were for. I don't think a few of them worked.
So, you had to turn on the living room lamps manually. As well as the one in the 2nd bedroom. But, also no big deal.

Positives:
I found staff and guest super friendly.
You wanna do a day tour or anything, they are more then helpful. Even tell you what not to waste money on, and whats better.
Like, once I asked for a snorkel tour. Frontdesk, told me not to waste my money. Pompono Beach has great snorkelling. Just go to Walmart and buy goggles.

You'll never get approched for any timeshare meetings.
No one bugs you at all.
The olympic size pool they have is awesome, so is the hottub.
I always did my last swim at night, and soaked in the hottub, before heading in for the night (or balcony internet).
Walls are solid and soundproof. Never heard a peak from other guests !

All in all, my aunt and I really enjoyed this place.
Even though it's not as fancy and and modern as the Wyndham up the street (where we also stayed). We much more like Surfrider.
Just for the fact, suite was larger, and view was better, and was much more convinent walking down a few steps, then to be in a highriser, waiting for elevators.

MY aunt and I would highly recommend this place. Esspecially if you get room 207 or 307. The best out of the bunch !

Oh, and if you can make it, go to Stingers Pizza on Saturday night.
They have live outdoor music, and dance.
And actually so does the Greek place south of the Resort.

If you want more info, or even consider staying in room 307 for my week, give me a shout :)
You won't regret this place.

Just don't expect a hotel and hotel services.
It's more like a condo rental. Which I prefer, anyways.

• Stayed: December 2009