“A Blast”

GreenLeadersSilver level
philadelphia
“A Blast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2008

me and my friend were invited to stay here with another couple OMG we had a blast the room was amazing a four bedroom suite on the 10th floor the kitchen and dinning area was huge the pools were really nice all of the rooms are a good size and we had two hot tubs and two balconies in our suite i would stay here again the shopping area is in walking distance but you have to rent a car and drive to the beach the resort is nice we was enjoying the room South beach is were i always go for vacation so we took a ride there it was a 25 min drive thats were you have to go if you want to party but there is a strip in Ft. Lauderdale with night clubs i read a few of the other reviews before visiting this place and they were incorrcet some one said there is a shady area "THE HOOD" near by but it was not that bad and they have good food there also there is a local bar Cheers about 10 mins up the road from the hotel the food there is good and they are open until 4am the casino hardrock cafe is nice to, the hotel has 3 outdoor pools one with a water slide all of the pools were big theres plenty of parking and the staff was very helpful this place is a must do! dont be fooled by the negative reviews. (sorry i dont have photos i'm still not that advanced yet)

• Liked — the hotel
  • Disliked — the beach is not in walking distance
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
Southwest Gulf Coast, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2008

Booked the place as we had to burn a week before we lost it. Nice large two bedroom for the two couples in our party. Right across from the Pompano Race track and the Isle Casino. About 10 minutes to the beach. We used it as a launching pad for day trips in south Florida. The place was clean, stocked well and appeared to be recently updated. There were two minor problems that were attended to right away. The hot tub was cold and the pool was colder. The gym was nice and they seem to have activity's planed, but we did not take part in any. We were there basically to sleep.

• Liked — Large and clean, recently updated
  • Disliked — Wished it was closer to the beach.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
Mount Juliet, Tennessee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2008

I had 2 separate stays at this resort in the course of 2 weeks while traveling on business. This is a time-share resort that books vacancies to the general public. It sits next to a golf course/country club and across the street from Pompano Park, a horse racing/casino venue. The rooms are large. I stayed in a 2 bed-room, 2 bath suite which had a king bed in the master and 2 full-size beds in the second bedroom. The master bath had a whirlpool tub and a separate shower, with 2 vanities/sinks. There was a full kitchen as well as a washer/dryer in the room, and a dining table with 6 chairs as well as two bar stools at the kitchen island.

On my first visit, as I stood in line for check-in, I heard some guests in front of me complaining about being asked to wait for their rooms to be ready. When I checked in, I had no problem. However, when I got to the room, I found ants in the kitchen. When I reported this issue, the management did come and "take care of it." My suite faced Pompano Park, which has a very large parking lot with bright lights that stay lit all night long. Thankfully, the light-blocking drapes did help with that. I was dismayed to discover that the resort sits close to a fire station, and they responded to many calls during my stay (with sirens blaring in the middle of the night).

My second visit represents the bitter end of a short-lived relationship. This resort makes it a point to tell you that check-out time is 10am. Check-in is not until 4pm. Knowing this, I made sure not to arrive until after 4pm for my second visit. The lobby was full of unhappy people. I soon found out that the rooms were not cleaned, and while the staff was checking in guests, they were not giving them room keys. Some of those guests had gone grocery shopping before checking in, and now had no way to keep their perishables cold. South Florida, with a temperature of about 80 degrees. I waited 2 and a half hours before I received a room key. Some waited 3 hours. At one point, a couple came to the front desk in their swimsuits with towels wrapped around them, stating their room keys no longer worked. They were informed that they had failed to comply with the 10am checkout time, and they had to ask to be allowed back into the room to collect their belongings. I complained to the assistant manager about my wait, who told me the manager was out helping clean rooms, and that she would get back with me in a moment. I never saw her again. I finally went to the front desk, and asked them if one of the 2 nearby sister facilities might have a clean room that I could tranfer to. It was at this point that I finally got a room assignment and a key. At no point did I hear from the manager, get an apology, or get offered any discount or upgrade. I was tired and upset, and it was now 7pm. My room was clean, and this time it was on a different side of the resort, facing the swimming pool. It didn't take me long to discover the welcoming committee, those pesky ants! In the kitchen and crawling all over the island. So I spent the first hour of my stay cleaning and getting rid of them. I could still hear those sirens from my new location as well.

Best advice I can offer is if you're going to stay here, do not go grocery shopping before you've checked in, be prepared to wait a substantial period of time for your room, bring the ant-killer, and make sure you get your things out of there by 10am! As for me, I will never stay at this location again.

• Liked — The spaciousness of the suites
  • Disliked — ants and wait times
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank mamasaid
Medford, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2008

I called the resort a few days before I arrived at Palm Aire, and I explained to the operator that my mother walks with a cane, so she can't raise her leg to step into a tub. The operator said she needs a handicap unit because it comes with a walk-in shower. I asked if I can reserve a handicap unit now, and she said they have plenty of handicap units in the new buildings and that I should just inform the clerk at check in. I had received a pre-registration form in the mail. The form asks if there is any occupant that requires assistance in the event of an evacuation. I checked the box "yes". This is an important factor later on in my review.
We arrived at the resort at 3:30 pm. When I checked in, I asked for a handicap unit. I was told there were no units available. I repeated the information the operator told me. They said there are regular rooms available, but I would have to wait for Housekeeping to clean the handicap unit. I asked if the regular units have walk in showers, because I would take that unit. They said the regular units do not have walk in showers. We ended up waiting 1 1/2 hours for the room to be cleaned. Housekeeping kept telling the front desk that it would take 20 minutes more. Why did it take so long to clean the room? Why wasn’t it ready by the 4:00 check in time?
We were placed in one of the newer buildings--Sable Palms. The unit had 2 bedrooms with a small kitchen but it had everything you need. They also give you a small basket filled with complimentary Crystal Light lemonade, 1 pkg of Popcorn, 1 pkg of regular coffee, and 1 pkg of decaf coffee. That was a very nice touch. The master bedroom is a nice size with a king sized bed, but when you walk into the master bathroom, it is tremendous. There is a jacuzzi tub and a sink. If you continue to walk, there is a separate room for the toilet, WALK IN SHOWER and another sink. You read that right—there was a walk in shower. I wondered if my walk in shower was only because my unit was a handicap unit. However, I later found out that all master bathrooms had a walk in shower. We wouldn't have had to wait 1 1/2 hours to check in if I had known this. I loved the complimentary bathroom amenities - mouthwash, shampoo, conditioner, facial and bath soap and body lotion. They are all by Bath & Body Works. The quality of the soaps and body lotion were really awesome. The second bathroom had the walk in shower, but it only had a curtain and this curtain only went 3/4 of the way to the floor. There was a lot of space for water to splash on the bathroom floor which is exactly what happened. My mother really hated that shower. The dining area, living room, second bedroom with 2 double beds were very nice. There is a balcony with a small table and 2 chairs.
At check-in, I had to go to the Concierge Desk to pick up a parking pass. At this time, your concierge will tell you that you should attend the Wyndham survey meeting. They will tell you that RCI is now owned by Wyndham and the meeting will inform you how your membership will change. She guaranteed me that it was not a timeshare presentation and that it would only take 1 hour which included breakfast. I informed her that I am married, but I am not traveling with my husband. She put the invitation in my mother's name. Our appointment was Tuesday morning at 11:00 a.m. It just so happened that it rained our entire vacation, but Tuesday was a bright sunny day. The daily shuttle to the beach is at 9:30 a.m., so we missed the bus. The lousy breakfast consists of coffee or tea and one small muffin or defrosted Lender's Bagel. What a joke. The representative began his presentation, and he said that at the end of the presentation he is going to try to sell my mother something. I informed him that the Concierge guaranteed that he would speak to me. He asked me why and I told him that my mother would not understand all his information. I informed him that the Concierge told me that it was not a timeshare presentation and he has 1 hour, including the breakfast portion to present us with the information. He spoke to his manager, and he returned. He told us that he had good news. We didn't have to continue with the meeting. I asked him if we are still going to get the $50 Visa card that was promised, and he said no. I told him that I missed the shuttle bus on a beautiful beach day to be here, so he is going to make his presentation in the remaining 40 minutes and at the end, I am going to collect the $50 Visa card. He was visibly affected by my attitude. We just started talking about sight seeing places in Ft. Lauderdale. At the end of the hour, we were brought to another department where of course, they tried to sell us on a Discover pkg. It costs $2,999 and that money is held in escrow, so if you decide you want to convert to their points system that money will go towards the purchase price. I asked how much the purchase price will be, and she said $12,000! I told her that she doesn’t need to continue because I am not interested. I guess she was shocked by my bluntness, but she brought me over to the Gift Department and I received my $50 Visa card.
The resort had several activities. On Monday, there was an Orientation Meeting. A nice continental breakfast was provided and we were informed of the activities on site and other sight seeing or sporting activities that were available. I ended up using my $50 Visa card to pay for the Jungle Queen BBQ dinner cruise because the resort offered a very good discount. The resort has a miniature golf course that is free, ping pong for free. We played Deal or No Deal and I won a $10 discount towards any resort activity. I used it towards the Animal Show. It costs $6/ea. I feel it is worth $3/ea, but it was free for me. It is geared towards young children. They have free Bingo every morning. They have a wonderful spa, and a great gym and resort guests have free access too. They also have an aerobics instructor 3 times a week. She has a fantastic Zumba class and she does an awesome job.
I would have given Palm Aire 4 stars, but at 1:30 a.m. on Wednesday morning, the fire alarm went off. A recording came on to evacuate the building. Remember, I had filled out the Pre-Registration form asking for assistance in case of evacuation. We were on the 10th floor. My poor mother had to walk down 10 flights of stairs. She was disoriented at that time of the night and she was extremely frightened. When we finally reached the Exit door, we had to walk through shrubs and grass. Why are handicapped people placed on the 10th floor? Why are we subjected to walking through shrubs and grass to evacuate the premises? Why did I bother filling out the pre-registration form? There was absolutely no communication with us. We were just sitting on the lounge chairs by the pool. Two hours later, we saw Security Personnel and we asked if it was safe to return to our room. We were told that the Fire Department arrived and determined that there was no fire, but the Fire Alarm sounded again, so people had to evacuate again. The Fire Department came again and was pretty sure that there was a short in the alarm circuitry. The Security Guards said that we can take a chance and return to our rooms, which we did. We got to bed at 3:40 a.m. and the fire alarm continued to go off. This made the following day a very tiring one. I had wanted to go to the beach, but I could not wake up in time for the shuttle because it departs at 9:30 a.m. We never received a phone call to ask about my mother's safety. We never received an apology either. For this reason, I have to give this resort 3 stars.
Except for the fire alarm fiasco, the staff had been absolutely wonderful to my mother and I. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. My only complaints were the check-in process and the evacuation disorganization.

• Liked — Bathroom amenities, miniature golf and other on site activities. Across the street from horse racing track and casino
  • Disliked — Check in process and lack of organization during fire evacuation.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2008

I had a 2 bedroom condo, booked thru sky auction.. The main problem was the jacuzzi in the middle of the floor. I banged my knees on it going to bathroom in the middle of the night . Another party told me he had the same thing happen to him. Rooms were very nice. Time share people were pushy, but I laughed at their antics and got away from them with my gifts. Some sets of elevators were having problems and repairman could not get them fixed, an elevator in back of building would get stuck. I believe it was because of being overloaded. The Pompano Park Casino and Racetrack is right across the street.
Their are several good restaurants in the area..

Stayed February 2007
1 Thank Starbuck777
Warren, Rhode Island
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2008

Check in was VERY slow( two people ahead of my wife and I and it took more then 1/2 hour). Grounds are well maintained. Room was large and very clean. The Fountain Palm building was being repainted , but a rather dull color for the hallways. Door jams were left unpainted, yet in need. Room furniture and appliances are showing age and wear, but still acceptable. I needed a closed caption remote for the tv and was delivered in minutes. Light bulbs in entrance and chandiler were burnt out. I believe these are things that should have been seen and taken care of, like the unpainted areas, yet are not being done. All areas are very clean. Pool is large with sufficient lounges but the water is VERY cold, even children did not stay in very long. Every day at least two telephone messages about "survey meetings"... time share sales!!!Overall and satisfactory stay , but certainly not a five star.

• Liked — Easy access to major highways.
  • Disliked — Check in time and check in staff.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2008

It's a beautiful resort. It has all the amentities it advertises it has and is very well maintained with very good security. Our 2 bedroom suite was lovely. The 1 immediate problem was we had no towels at all when we arrived and had to go get our own.

The next problem was that they told us they wanted us to take a "survey" which will only take 1 hour and they promised it was a survey that we fill out and there will be no sales pitches - they just really want to know what we think of their place. So my husband and I agreed we could spare an hour to do this survey. It was all lies. They look you in the eye and lie through their teeth. There was no survey and it did not take an hour. And all it is is high pressure sales. We finally got out of there after 2 hours but that was only by becoming extremely angry. They all play dumb, like they just can't believe we were lied to. There are only 2 ways you get out of that room - you either sign on the dotted line or you get angry and walk out. They even admitted their job is to keep you there for "as long as it takes".

Even if you were interested in buying a time share, how could you possibly trust them or anything that comes out of their mouths. They have no integrity.

It really is a lovely place as long as you don't get conned into their sales pitches because that will put a damper on your time there.

Stayed October 2008
#11 of 36 in Pompano Beach
Wyndham Santa Barbara
Wyndham Santa Barbara
#1 of 16 in Pompano Beach

Been to Wyndham Palm-Aire? Share your experiences!