“dual personality”

Wyndham Palm-Aire
Ranked #7 of 38 Hotels in Pompano Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Stayed at the Areca Building in one of the renovated rooms.

Pros:
- the decor was great as well as the appliances and the furniture.
- 1 bedroom lock off is huge which is awesome
- if you're a gambler, the Isle Casino is just outside the property (but you still need a car to get there)

Cons:
- location is nowhere near the beach or any of the other sister properties (concierge told us about 5-10 minutes away, it was more 20-30 minutes)
- looks like they rushed the reno of our unit like paint smudges on door handles/cupboards,plastics on the carpet edging --- normally this isn't a big deal but the worst part for us was the master bedroom toilet which screeched every time you flushed. The screeching went on for over 10 minutes after you flush so we ended up using the hallway bathroom instead (hopefully it's a minor fix so this problem goes away)
- gifts from the timeshare presentation were difficult to redeem --- we've sat through a lot of these and we go by the gift recommendations by the concierge. This time it was an epic fail so we lost half a day sitting through their owner upswell presentation for nothing. Not fully Wyndham's fault because the cruise company they recommended cancelled the dinner cruise at the last minute and their dinner voucher redemption is through dinningdough.com which is a pain in the [--] to search and make your redemption so we ended up paying out of pocket anyways
- restaurants close at 6pm!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank bazingga_08
ClubWyndham, Social Media Team at Wyndham Palm-Aire, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. We are glad to hear you enjoyed the unit space and amenities made available during your stay. We are sorry you had to spend even a minute of your vacation dealing with maintenance issues in your unit. We also appreciate your feedback in regards to the renovation work that has been completed. Our goal is to provide satisfactory unit quality for all our guests. Please rest assured we will address these concerns moving forward to ensure we are offering the best units available to our guests and to avoid any future maintenance issues. Again, thanks for reaching out.

There are newer reviews for Wyndham Palm-Aire

Reviewed November 25, 2013

-It was easy to book over the phone.
-With the discount, average nightly rate was under $80 dollars.
-The Location is not on the beach, but I did not want to sacrifice comfort, cleanliness, and covered garage parking over having a beautiful view at other price comparable rundown beachfront properties.
-I could not afford to pay $100-$300+ a night at the night at the Beach Comber or Holiday Inn Resorts and the like. I chose this place for convenience of location, which complimented my trip which comprised of business and pleasure activities.
-Saving money elsewhere would take me further inland towards loud trains and freeway noise.
-I had a studio suite on the 4th floor with a balcony view of the street directly below where the main entrance is located. I could see the front corner of the parking garage and a partial view of the marina to the left. In front of me stood tropical foliage and hotels. To the right were the much larger beach hotels and a scant view of the ocean which was almost visible during the day.
-I Did not use the hot tub in the room and I did not pay to have daily maid services.
-The room was clean, and my bed was comfortable. The bathroom was clean and well stocked with towels and the usual soaps and shampoos.
-The kitchen and other appliances are modern and updated. The counters were sticky and the floor was not sufficiently cleaned. Tiny sugar ants were everywhere on the counters, I could not find where they were coming from. A gecko somehow found it's way into my room as well.
-I could not be bothered with the issues concerning the pests. I chose not to complain because I didn't want to be switched to a worse room and have my family pack and unpack, go through the trouble of switching rooms, or smell bug sprays and chemicals, and possibly lose what little view we had. On the other hand we could have been moved to a one bedroom apartment upstairs, but not worth the hassle when some of us are on vacation.
-The concierge is sub par and fake. Choose another line of work if you cannot be even a little compassionate. One belonging to this trade should enjoy being hospitable. Corporate reads these reviews and should act accordingly to remove what is hurting their business, undeserving staff. Or at least educate them on proper hospitality.
-Another thing that was annoying, besides the front desk, was the second desk area "customer help, concierge, trip planning, time share trap meeting, coercing, and whatever else they tried to sell desk." Front desk herds you over to another line to speak to a person trying to get you to go to a time share meeting. I was tired from 9 hours of driving, all I wanted was to get to my room. I had to speak to this customer concierge person in order to get my parking pass and the blue wrist bands to use the sister hotel amenities. I had to stand there for 15 minutes and listen to this person try to haggle a time with myself and my family about times we were to show up to certain meetings. Please do not be tricked into wasting your vacation time here. It is not worth the boat ride or the free snacks. I declined everything and they still insisted, even after I told them I would be engaged during every one of their meeting hours. I wish these people were not so pushy. No is no.
-I stayed for 6 nights. My family bathes daily. I went to the front desk to ask for extra clean towels. They would only give me one set per day. We are two women and one man, and require at least two 2 large size towels per person. This young lady, not a manager, refused to give me any more than 3 large size towels, and 3 face towels. I thought this to be very funny, the rationing of the towels per day. I also asked for extra sugar for our coffee. I received 6 bundles of coffee creamer and sugars. That was fine I guess.
-I have stayed in much worse conditions. The parking garage was what made my stay. Free parking and my car covered from the elements and off the streets gave me peace of mind.
-Wifi is free also, and was slow but tolerable.
-I would stay here again because you cannot beat the price for what you get. Times are hard these days, you gotta save where you can.

Room Tip: For budget nice views... Ask for a room with marina views that face main entrance driveway. No nois...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank sarangheorangee
Reviewed November 21, 2013

We booked this resort as a result of a timeshare my parents have. The facilities are nice for a family with young kids - the pool is great with a slide, there are various activities, and it has a sister share by the beach, which we took advantage of once. The things that really take away from the resort is the staff and service. Literally, every encounter with the staff during our stay was met with attitude, indifference or just plain rudeness. We travel frequently and this was by far the most unpleasant, across the board staff/service we've seen. The staff never smiled when we encountered them either in the hallway or when we needed information, and the deli staff scowled or barked responses each and every time. It honestly took away from our whole stay, and I wouldn't want to stay here again other than the fact that the kids liked the pool. The location is also pretty inconvenient as whole, unless you're solely going to play golf nearby or go to the horse track. It takes a minimum of 20 minutes to the beach or Ft. Lauderdale, if there's no traffic (which is almost never).

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank liltravelbug
Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

Numerous problems with our suite in Areca Palm building. Overheard staff saying contractors had not signed off on rooms after renovation. Our bed collapsed the second night and it took 4 phone calls to get it fixed the next day. Toilet overflowed because we did not have a plunger in the suite. Maintenance unclogged it and used our towels to clean up overflow from floor. Called housekeeping to have the floor mopped. Housekeeper arrived and Sid she did not see any "poopie" on the floor and left. Floor was never sanitized! Following us a list of all issues we had:
Coffee maker timer broken
Ironing board cover missing
Broken soap dish
No trash can in kitchen
No hot water first night
Drain clogged in master shower
Safe wouldn't work due to bad batteries
Bed collapsed
Toilet overflowed
Floor not mopped after toilet overflowed
No carpet sweeper in unit
Dishwasher drain clogged
Room not ready when we arrived at 6 pm even though check in was at 4 pm
Garbage disposal not working properly
Room not ready for occupancy. Not properly inspected.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank slimebag
ClubWyndham, Social Media Team at Wyndham Palm-Aire, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. We sincerely apologize for the many issues you encountered during your stay including maintenance and cleanliness in the unit. We take the safety and satisfaction of a guest stay very seriously. Please rest assured that we are looking into this issue. We will be taking action to ensure that this not an issue for future guests. Again, thanks for taking the time to reach out.

Reviewed November 15, 2013

I have never written a review before but I feel I need to warn about the terrible service that received here. The check in was uneventful, we unpacked our bags and went grocery shopping. When we returned to our room to put away the groceries we discovered a huge cockroach infestation. Every time I opened a cupboard they scattered, it was disgusting!
The worst part was how they dealt with it. I called down to the desk and informed them of the problem and that we needed to be moved immediately so they didn't get into our luggage. They said they would send someone so we packed up all of our stuff and waited over an hour, at which point we called down again. They said they were busy and would send someone as soon as possible. We walked all the way to the main building to get a cart for our luggage and groceries so the bugs didn't get into them. a couple hours and several phone calls later we were finally assigned another room. No one came to help us move, so we hauled all of our stuff to a different building, only to discover that the room that they gave us didn't exist! I wish I was kidding but this is true.
I called to the front desk again and after waiting on hold AGAIN they said to come to the main desk to get it sorted out. So we hauled all of our stuff to the main building (groceries melting) and waited for yet another room assignment. Finally we got another room (which actually existed this time) but it was set to have renovations done part way through the week so 3 days later we had to pack everything up and move yet again. so 2 full days of our vacation were spent moving from building to building which was very disappointing.
What was most disappointing was how little they seemed to care and how unhelpful they were. I could have excused everything else if they had been more accommodating during the very frustrating experience. Im sure like all of the other posts they will respond with some contrite apology about how this was unfortunate but happens, but as far as im concerned bad staff is bad staff. Then they called everyday to get us to go to a timeshare presentation! Its too bad they weren't as concerned about our stay as they were abut trying to sell us a timeshare.

Room Tip: check cupboards for roaches before unpacking!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Tamara P
ClubWyndham, Social Media Team at Wyndham Palm-Aire, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Hi Tamara,

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback regarding the lack of Count On Me service at our resort. We take the safety and comfort of each guest very seriously. Please rest assured that we are looking into this issue and would be happy to further discuss your comments with you. Please email WVROnlineCare@wyn.com. Again, thank you for reaching out.

Reviewed November 9, 2013

stayed 2 this resort on october 8-15 in a 2brm deluxe suite while staying there woke up one night scratching an itching went 2 the next rm where my mom slept an ask her if she had cortisen cream i then not knowing about bedbugs not knowing the symthoms so the morning was my chec out date woke up 2 bliters on ams an leg so i spoke 2 the housekeeping supporvisor he dont think is bedbeds but he saw the rash i encountered on my skin i couldnt wait around cause i had 2 catch the nex flight out wen wyndham contact me i will tell which room i stayed in has the bed bugs soon 2 be infested...........

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
6  Thank lisa s
ClubWyndham, Social Media Team at Wyndham Palm-Aire, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2013

Hi Lisa,

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. We take the safety and comfort of each guest very seriously. Please rest assured that we are looking into this and will be taking action to eliminate the issue for future guests.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

We booked a deluxe one bedroom suite. The room was spacious and clean. They replenished towels when we requested them but a mid-week cleaning is not included. The wireless was not working in our room and had to be rebooted. The pool was small but adequate and no lifeguard. The big pool was a nice long walk from our room. Activities are limited and a revised activity schedule would have been nice for the days that it rained. We also found their recommended restaurants to be mediocre and nothing to write home about.

My wife and i always take massages while on vacation. The Soleil Spa is not an Elizabeth Arden Red Door Spa. They give you a robe but no slippers and there is no water or fruit prior to or after your massage. The real disappointment was that although there was a steam room, the temperature was not high enough. The sauna was not working and when I reported this, the staff was completely unaware that it didn't work.

Time shares are known for their come-ons to get you to attend a presentation. Club Wyndham is no different. However, the pressure to purchase was relentless. A presentation, a push by our sales consultant, her supervisor and the closer manager. Even the individual who supposedly was giving you your gift, gave you a sales pitch and then you saw another person for your actual gift. NEVER AGAIN WILL I STAY AT A WYNDHAM BECAUSE OF THE INSENSITIVITY OF THEIR SALES STAFF.

The Wyndham Palm-Aire provides adequate value but if you have traveled extensively, this is a place to avoid.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has been recently updated. The location is a good distance from the beach durin...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Paul M
ClubWyndham, Social Media Team at Wyndham Palm-Aire, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. We are sorry to hear that your stay did not meet your expectations. Our goal is to make each guest feel at home with a kitchen and laundry. Because we have condo-style units, certain hotel amenities such as daily housekeeping do not exist. We strive to provide this information to the guests through our website and confirmation letters. We apologize for any confusion and will work to better communicate this through additional channels in the future. We also apologize for any issues regarding your Wi-Fi service. As you know, we have many resorts which house a large number of guests and their wireless devices. We are working to better the wireless connection at our resorts but this process will take some time. We are disappointed to hear your interaction with our resort staff did not meet your expectations. We know that while on vacation it is important to be treated well. We sincerely appreciate the feedback and will be taking action to ensure that this is not an issue for future guests. Again, thanks for taking the time to reach out.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pompano Beach
#2 of 17 in Pompano Beach
Wyndham Royal Vista
Wyndham Royal Vista
#13 of 38 in Pompano Beach

Been to Wyndham Palm-Aire? Share your experiences!