WINNER WONDERLAND

“This was a Quiet family friendly stay.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Royal Flamingo Villas

Royal Flamingo Villas
Ranked #7 of 36 Hotels in Pompano Beach
“This was a Quiet family friendly stay.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012

We chose RFV because the reviews and photos from TA. Quite frankly I was a bit nervous about going to this general area after about a month long search for a decent (price & accommodations) place to stay.
The staff were very nice. The housekeeper was there daily( except Sun) even though we declined service a few times. Someone mentioned that the staff entered your villa without informing you- not true. Even the guy spraying for bugs asked permission before he entered our Villa. By the way we saw NO bugs or mouse droppings ANYWHERE. The grounds are beautiful, and this includes the pool. The pool as well as the beach were not overcrowded, which was great because those were the children's main focus. The Villas are very clean and you have free wifi. By the way we stayed in Villa M, and there is a safe in the MB for valuables. On the beach, I didn't see the cute little cabana's but RFV did provide you with beach chairs if you needed extra or were without. Unfortunately there was litter on the beach, which saddens me. I've never seen litter on any of the previous beaches we have stayed on (mainly SC Beaches), except maybe chewing gum paper here or there. This beach had a lot of bottles and other plastic things.
The downs of our stay at RFV were the lizards... you couldn't walk 5 feet without seeing these huge/ fat lizards. The only safe spots from the lizards were INSIDE the pool and the BEACH, and they are NOT afraid of humans unlike the lizards I'm used to seeing. Also our Villa had a lot of GLASS furniture, not exactly baby/toddler friendly. The flat screens were great, but it was only 2 of them and we we had a 2BR Villa. So one bedroom was lacking. New electrical jacks/ covers would have been great as the ones in the Villa obviously are the same from when it was first built with layers of paint. Bathrooms were not the best/ biggest BUT THEY WERE CLEAN. Parking was free which is great!
Overall, the place was a great stay and my number one complaint were the lizards:) The eating areas were very close by. Sawgrass Mill and Boca R? Shopping areas are within 20-30 minutes away. Parking sucks, but Valet Parking was just 8 bucks at Sawgrass.
Warning: Drive at your own risk! Local drivers are terrible!

• Stayed June 2012
4 Thank Mekrstee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Coral Springs, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2012

My review is a little late as my family and I stayed here for last July 4 but I'm sure the review is still relevant. I rented out two villas for a week at the Royal Flamingo, one on the beach side and one on the intracoastal side. Overall, this was a fantastic hotel -- priced well, easy, unfettered access to the beach and exceedingly relaxing. First, the rooms. Now, this is where it can be hit or miss. As the units are individually owned, it's up to the owner to renovate when necessary and stock the unit with appropriate cooking equipment, linens, etc. So, the unit on the intracoastal side that I had was not great. It was dated and the available equipment was sparse. In addition, when we checked in, one of the tubs was clogged with a LOT of human hair. On the positive side, they came out immediately to fix the problem AND discounted us 2 days worth of rates! Excellent management, in my opinion. On the positive side, the other unit we rented (and another that friends of ours rented) on the beach side were fully updated, airy, plush and well stocked. So, when you call to book, simply ask management that you want an updated unit. If one is available, they will give it to you because, after all, they want the guests to have a great time so they will return. You may ask why I give the place 5 stars if my room wasn't that great -- the reason is that the grounds are so nice that we spent very little time in the room and, frankly, it was more than adequate for a laid back vacation. If you are looking for a luxurious vacation, this isn't it... I'll go to the Half Moon in Jamaica for that. The grounds are well manicured and taken care of and the pool is excellent. I understand that they were renovating shortly after we left so it's probably better now. The beach in front of the grounds was also surprisingly good. The weather was fairly calm so the kids could get in and have a great time and it was also much clearer than I expected. Even better, hardly anyone was on that stretch of beach. To the left and right of us, the beach was fairly crowded but only Royal Flamingo guests used oru stretch of beach and you had plenty of room. In my opinion, there's nothing worse than a crowded beach where you have to worry about the kids disrupting other people. One negative is that the cool beach chairs with the little canopies that they show on their site are not there. I don't know if they ever were but I would suggest that they remove those pictures as they are misleading. The one upgrade that I would suggest to the hotel is to add a little grill restaurant by the pool. If we were able to purchase a quick sandwich or burger, we would have been outside from dawn to dusk. Alas, because the place is bare bones with few amenities, you have to either prepare all your meals or eat out/get delivery. That's not all bad but having something on site would have been great. So, overall, I think this is a great hotel for the price and a fantastic way to bond with the family with little else to do but swim together, play on the beach and relax.

Room Tip: Ask them for an updated room!! And if you can, stay on the beach side... it just makes it much easi...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank AlphaMan
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2012

My dad's family lives in Pompano Beach, so my family has made the Villas our vacation home every summer since I was a baby, (33 years ago), so please forgive me if my review is a little biased, due to some of my most favorite childhood memories have taken place there. I love love love the Royal Flamingo Villas! It's like your own private villa on the beach. The kitchens are stocked with all your needs for a weekly stay as well as the furnishings are everything that you would expect in a tropical paradise. Our family usually gets one villa on the beach and one overlooking the pool. The villas are located by several restaurants within walking distance, and have all the amenities of home! You will not be disappointed!! Get ready for a very relaxing vacation/holiday!

Room Tip: You cant go wrong with picking a villa. We prefer the beach side, but the villas overlooking the int...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Tahmay
Coquitlam
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2012

the pros:
good location, good beach, clean villas, kitchen well equipped, the parking is free

the cons
no bathrooms at the pool or beach, long way to go if you are across A1A highway, no pool towels or beach towels supplied, no safes in the room, the office is only open 9-5 daily and the housekeeping was erratic, the villa decor was outdated, no barbecues unless you book ahead, no view unless you one of the few villas in the front row.

Room Tip: if you stay make sure you are in the front section, crossing the highway is difficult sometimes
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank lll121
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

Four ladies of a certain age, spent a week in a villa overlooking the intercoastal waterways. The perfect spot to relax.The villa was light and roomy and fully equipped , we spoke to the owner and a remodel for next year is on the cards . The staff were most helpful, the villa in an ideal position, the beach, sea and pool very inviting, a most relaxing place to spend time. The evening was spent having a sundowner watching the boats and yachts pass by waiting for the magnificent sunset. The charm of the place was most welcome. We walked to the local shops and restaurants and caught the local community bus to the shopping mall (no charge). It was a relaxing fun and wonderful holiday. I will certainly return with my husband as I know he would love it.

Room Tip: The Intercoastal side of the development is quieter,with beautiful gardens and space. It has the lat...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lynne60186299
Wheaton, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 29, 2012

My cousin and I stayed in Villa V right near A1A. Short, pleasant walk to pool, private beach/ocean or to intercostal for a cigar provided varied options. Ususally didn't bother to put on sandals! Spent most of our time "hanging-out" on private porch playing guitar and playing cards. Yet, ventured out occasionally to some of the top golf courses in South FL w/ the money we saved by staying in a one bedroom unit and not eating in restaurants.

Spartan dining? No-way. Kitchen was well equiped and grilled most nights conveniently just off porch. While an HD large-screen, cable TV was great for watching our occasional favorite sporting events and blue-ray DVD's movies, we mostly used cable TV and its theatre-style speakers for playing music provided by the cable provider. WI-FI allowed us stay in touch with business partners and clients.

Although we had only a 1 bedroom, a blow-up bed was more than sufficent, which was easily moved to the bedroom each morning. Our villa was tastefully beach-house decorated, clean and well-maintained. The grounds were attractively maintained, and interaction with other guests reminded me of being on a very small cruiseliner.

Office staff very friendly and responsive. Parking car immediately next to villa was an under-estimated convenience.

Road noise wasn't an issue, as porch was well-screened from the road with tropical vegitation -- actually had a dinner party on our porch one night w/ outside guests!

If staying in a high-rise box is not your thing, I highly recommend this 50's style, oasis-like blast from he past. Suggestion: Would like to see RFV add a hot-tub on the intercostal. Regardless, we'll be back.

Room Tip: Look a Villas if possible before selecting, or discuss w/ office staff the unique features of each v...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Thomas J
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2012

RFV is about 10 minutes north of Ft. Lauderdale, about a 20 minute drive from the airport. RFV consists of individual villa units straddling Rte A1A with the Atlantic Ocean (with a private beach) on one side of the road and the Intercoastal Waterway on the other. We had a unit with a great view of the Waterway which allowed for interesting views of the yachts motoring by. The units remind me of Old Florida, like places I haven't stayed in Florida since the 80's and have mostly disappeared to be replaced by hi rise condo units. The units with views are especially choice because of having a lot of space around them-- for us a whole lawn extending down the water, a BBQ area and the shuffleboard court (also turned out to be fun). I think the units directly on the road and in between would be less enjoyable and were a bit congested, but no more so than a condo or apartment complex.
The unit itself had a great kitchen with anything you could possibly need to cook, a reasonable sized living room with a smallish dining room and a large bedroom. There were wall mounted large screen tv's with a good choice of channels as well. The decorating/furnishings were a little dated, but that's not that important to me and it fit with the overall feel.
I gave only average for the service because oddly there was no service on Sundays and I was only there for a 3 day weekend.
I would definitely go back again, but only with one of the waterfront units.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Royal Blues Hotel
Royal Blues Hotel
#8 of 18 in Deerfield Beach
Ebb Tide Oceanfront Resort in Pompano Beach, Florida

Been to Royal Flamingo Villas? Share your experiences!