“A big disappointment”

Cuisines: Delicatessen
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Takeout
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed February 7, 2014

We were very disappointed with our breakfast at Toojay's. When we walked in we thought we were going to have a great experience. The cases were loaded with all kinds of the usual deli items, and we planned to get some bakery for our breakfast the next morning.
First of all, we waited a long time before anyone even greeted us. When our waitress finally came over she was efficient and helpful, but sitting over 5 minutes in a fairly empty room before anyone even said good morning wasn't good.
When we ordered I asked if the corned beef hash was made there, and she told me it was made in the commissary, and it was very popular. We ordered the hash and the potato pancakes as a side dish. The hash was terrible. The corned beef was pureed into a paste and had very little flavor except salt. The potato pancake turned out to be shredded hash browns and onions in a small thick patty that was deep fried. It was so thick and crunchy that it was nearly impossible to cut through and even harder to eat.
Needless to say, we didn't buy any bakery to take out.

Reviewed December 19, 2013

Our first experience at Too-Jay's and not favorable.
The Reuben sandwich was a disappointment.
The rye bread was very good but the corned beef was was dry, chewy and tasteless.
The corned beef was wrapped around the sauerkraut causing it to be difficult to chew.
Some of the corned beef appeared to have been either grilled or left under a heat lamp.
Certainly not moist and freshly sliced.
Sandwich did not come with a pickle - had to request it (should be expected in a deli!)

1  Thank traveler1468
Reviewed December 16, 2013 via mobile

They have some very amazing cakes . Everything in the deli case looked so fresh and tasty. Clean and bright. Great spot for family dining Our waitress was very friendly and did a great job. A very relaxing meal with great service. Just what I was in the mood for

Reviewed November 9, 2013

Husband had the Chopped Salad - we counted 12 ingredients but are probably missing one or two - it was wonderful - HUGE portion, fresh, delicious, generous portion of Blue Cheese Dressing - great value - no complaints.

I had Egg Sandwich for $5.49 - came with side order of home fries - again - delicious and great value.

I also ordered a cup of Matzo Ball Soup - and this is where we were let down - it arrived piping hot, but instead of being in matzo ball broth, it was in full blown chicken soup. I do not like chicken soup, I don't eat chicken, and if it had been put on the menu as such (matzo ball in chicken soup) , I would not have ordered it. I wanted Matzo ball soup! I'm sure lots of people love it this way - but I don't. If I order Matzo Ball Soup, that's what I want - not chicken soup loaded with chicken.

I ate some of the matzo ball itself, but left the rest of it (all the vegetables and pieces of chicken) - so I'd say most of it was left in the cup. When the waitress (Erica I think her name was) came to take it away, I said to her I didn't care for it - that I had wanted Matzo Ball Soup in what I assumed would be the broth and this was full of chicken and vegetables. She said no, it's in Chicken soup. I said that it should be written that way on the menu (that it's Chicken Soup) - and she said very sharply well, if you'd called me over earlier I could have strained it for you. I'm not sure whether she was being sarcastic or not, but the thought of having someone strain my soup and then hand it back to me gave me the creeps. No way. Plus it would still be chicken soup, not matzo ball soup. I said no thanks, but was really turned off by her response - plus the fact that she still charged me for it. She should have just deducted it off the bill, as she took most of it back to the kitchen with her and knew that I was not happy. I thought she was quite rude actually - and I'm fed up that she still charged me for it. Having said that, everything else was GREAT, good value, large portions - quick service - we will definitely go back but I won't get the soup again, that's for sure.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

First time I visited this place and went for lunch. Got there right before noon and just walked in but shortly afterwards saw people were waiting in line. The chicken noodle soup was excellent (a tiny drop of salt made it perfect). The pastrami and the rye bread may have been the best I've had. The whitefish salad platter was so good and plentiful. Service was excellent. Our waitress Amy was very pleasant. Really can't wait until I'm in the neighborhood again so I can try something else.