“Older Residence Inn - great staff but could use updating”

Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Plantation
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Plantation
Reviewed May 14, 2009

Staff was great, and might have considered staying there but because I left the other hotel in such a hurry I didn't realize how far away it was from where I was working. Thus I changed hotels again! The staff were great and I did appreciate my request for a quiet room. It was honored and did feel like I was in an area where I was by myself. That said it was an older Residence Inn and I like to stay in updated, newer hotels. The air conditioner was thermostat controlled and so at least it turned off at times. Breakfast was the standard Residence Inn Breakfast. The gym only had one elliptical in it so if it's in use I was out of luck. Did have a Macaroni Grill restaurant literally right next to it so getting food would have been easy. Moved further North where I needed to be located for work purposes.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Snoxall

Reviewed January 17, 2009

Our family stayed there overnight before our cruise left the next day. We arrived and proceeded to our shared suite where we were told a crib would be waiting for our 8 month old son. We opened the door to the room and there was indeed a pack-n-play waiting for us. It was not put together, and it was probably the dirtiest pack and play I've seen in my life. There were no linens of any sort to put on the pack n play either. Luckily I had a bunch of extra baby blankets so I could make-do. The furniture in the room was old and falling apart. I had to reattach one of the legs to the coffee tables as it had bowed inward. Our room was incredibly hard to control the temperature, we were either freezing or too hot. It is a very dated hotel and the amenities for the price are basic to say the least.
The evening front desk staff was condescending and unhelpful as well. The morning staff was much more amiable, however the housekeeper was waiting outside our room for us to leave. We felt like were shoved out the door without so much as a, "Come back soon!" gesture.
We defintely would not reccommend this establishment unless they got some major upgrades.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed October 25, 2008

We’ve stayed here a couple of times, since it’s very close to some friend we go down to see. We generally like it. It’s a nicely kept up-to-date hotel in a decent area, and the staff goes out of their way to be friendly and accommodating. The breakfast seems a little better than most, with scrambled eggs, sausage, and waffle makers (amongst many other things). The pool and courtyard area is nicely landscaped, with some really nice palm trees. They’ve got a couple of gas grills out there too. The place can be a little hard to find, it’s tucked in behind a Macaroni Grill.

On the down side, it can be a little noisy. We had one room next to the door to the pool, and could hear it every time it opened and closed. Luckily it wasn’t that busy. This last time we stayed, the stairs between levels (which are metal) were right outside out bedroom wall and we could plainly hear some kids running up and down burning off energy first thing in the morning. And, there is a basket ball court in the courtyard, so you can get a little wakeup call from that. But, get a room on the outside, or away from the court, doors, or stairs, and this is a very nice hotel.

When we checked out last time, I reported that the lock to the exterior door next to our room didn’t work (all the other locks worked for us). It wasn’t that big a deal, but they were on the radio as I headed out the door, and I saw the maintenance man going up to check it out as I drove away. They seem to take maintenance very seriously.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NO_Member_Name
Reviewed September 29, 2008

My boyfriend & I stayed at this resort in January of 2008 with another couple. We're all on the younger side, I'm 23, he's 26, and the other couple are both 20.

The hotel is in a decent area, very close to everything we needed. We checked in on time and our room was ready right away. Our room was definitely not as nice as other Marriotts I have stayed in in the past but we weren't too worried, we were only there to eat & sleep.

A/C in the room blew ice cold, we had a great view of the pool, and we didn't hear the other guests above, below or beside us. Free internet in the lobby.

The reason why I didn't LIKE this hotel, and will never stay here again, is the front desk staff. I have never, ever, ever encountered someone who was so rude. Not to mention the fact that he was friendly to everyone EXCEPT for us. I'm not sure why he seemed to have a "hate on" for us, but his entire attitude shifted whenever he saw us. We're young, but we're not rowdy, mean, obnoxious, anything like that! Because of the poor service, I'll never stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed April 15, 2008

This property gives you the usual Residence Inn amenities: free breakfast; sport court; good location; and a friendly staff. I think the area this property lacks is room cleanliness. Certainly it was not as clean as other residence Inns I've stayed at. Stains on the sheets, smudges on the furniture, and unclean bathroom floors detracted from the experience, and by the way, it isn't cheap.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed February 12, 2008

great location right across the street from huge mall.
Typical Residence inn as far as decor but the front desk staff were wonderful. They even helped by arranging for a van transfer to the cruise that was cheaper than a dirty taxi.

Stayed: January 2008
Reviewed January 30, 2008

We stayed at the Residence Inn two nights and had a wonderful time. The staff was very friendly and welcoming. We mentioned we were in town to see the Dancing with the Stars Tour to the front desk. The next day we had several employees asking us how the show was ... and we had only told one. Breakfast was very good with alot of selections. We did go to the barbeque one night and it was quite nice...dinner for free! The hotel is very convenient to several malls..Broward Mall and Sawgrass Outlet Stores (Huge!)and alot of restaurants. I've always been happy with Residence Inns and would stay here again.
A Holloway