“Great place to unwind and relax”

Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Plantation
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Plantation
Chicago, Illinois
“Great place to unwind and relax”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

My son and I stayed here when attending my aunt's funeral. We had a 2 bedroom suite which was great. Not only was it roomy, there was space to sit and get some work done. The kitchen had an oven in addition to a stove, full size fridge, microwave and dishwasher. I have stayed in other Residence Inns and none of them had an oven. There were three televisions, one in each bedroom, and one in the living area. And there was a bathroom for each bedroom.

The pool was outdoor and was a nice size. It was heated and clean. Every morning a staff member straightened up, opened all the umbrellas and put towels on every lounge chair.

Breakfast was good, a nice selection of food, and the eggs were cooked well. I was not there during the week so I do not know how the manager's evening events were.

The location was fine, the hotel is kind of hidden by a Macaroni Grill if you don't know where it is. It was about 10-15 minutes from the airport. There is a mall right down the street and plenty of restaurants nearby.

This hotel had a very different layout than other Residence Inns, and you had to go outside to get from one area to another. I only found one elevator which surprised me, considering how spread out everything was, so I was glad I was on the first floor.

The room did not get cleaned until after 3PM. And the maid didn't appear to notice that at some point during the day the power went out because all of the clocks were flashing. I figured it wasn't our job to reset the clocks so we just used our cell phones for timekeeping and alarms.

There were a lot of bugs in the bathroom, but I am thinking that might just be a Florida thing?

Everyone was very nice, and the manager walked around at breakfast every morning to make sure everyone's stay was meeting their expectations. I would like to go back sometime when I can just relax and enjoy my stay.

Room Tip: Upper floor would probably be nice because those rooms appeared to have windows that opened so you c...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Ashleigh R, General Manager at Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Plantation, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear 23wearytraveler23,
I'm very pleased to hear that although you weren't staying at our facility for pleasure, you still enjoyed your time here. We greatly appreciate your feedback, and I do apologize for your clock not being reset, we will be sure to stay on top of this from now on. We look forward to seeing you on a return trip, and hope to make your stay just as enjoyable!

Ashleigh R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
United States
Reviewed May 26, 2013

My niece and I absolutely loved this hotel. At the front desk, Samantha checked us in early, which was a pleasant departure from having to wait an hour or more for a clean room at most properties! She was amazing and remembered my name each time I saw her (A++++ for effort Samantha)!

Our room was a two-bedroom, two bath split plan and it felt just like home. Everything was spotless and in place, fully equipped for a little getaway for the girls.

The pool, proximity to shopping and the local planetarium/observatory were our main reasons for picking this location. We checked in and immediately suited up for the pool.

The pool was crowded and noisy with female preteens, which wasn't too bad for the first few hours. We went away shopping and went back late afternoon, and this time there were boys there with water guns and the horse play made it impossible to relax.

The kids were jumping in and out of the jacuzzi with their toys, and on the way in and out were wreaking some good abuse on the what-I-imagine-are-pretty-expensive handicap/accessible bathing aids installed on the deck between the pool and the jacuzzi. They should have either protective shields around them when they're not in use or some type of parental education to keep their kids from breaking this equipment. It would be a shame to have such a nice treat for a nonambulatory person not available when they want it.

Every time I started to doze off I was awakened by water gun squirts or splashes from the kids. Ah well. It's a holiday weekend, after all.

Except for the early morning sleep interruption I had from some adult male revelers, all was smooth for the sleep zone in the evening.

We did not take advantage of the breakfast. We went and looked, but it was a zoo-animal feeding frenzy so we decided to skip it and headed out for a more tranquil atmosphere.

I highly recommend the property, especially during the week for business travelers. If the kid concentration we experienced is the norm, I highly recommend raising the rates to cover all the havoc they wreak on the property ;-)

Room Tip: Away from the noisy pool if you don't have kids and don't want to join in the revelry!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Ashleigh R, General Manager at Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Plantation, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Ms.Miler,
Thank you so much for your feedback, we're very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! We're sorry that some of our other guests disrupted parts of your stay, in the future feel free to let us know and we will do our best to take care of it! We look forward to seeing you on your next girls trip to Ft. Lauderdale!

Ontario, Canada
Reviewed May 9, 2013

spent one night here in mid April before departing from FLL. Front desk was curteous and helpful. Property is about 15 mins drive to car rental return at airport. One bedroom suite was convenient enough for our family of 4. Kids were a little cramped on sofabed however we were on a quick stopover. Located close to large shopping complex and many dining options. Pool and hot tub were clean, warm, and courtyard area was well maintained. Cannot comment on free breakfast as we checked out early. I would echo some of the previous comments with respect to the interior decor. We found the rooms and hallways to be dark and we did notice a strong deordorizer/carpet cleaning solution smell to the interior of the buildings. Overall we were satisfied and would return again for a short airport stopover.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Ashleigh R, General Manager at Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Plantation, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear Guest,
We're pleased to hear that although your stay with us was short, it was still comfortable. We appreciate your feedback, and as far the carpet odor goes, know that we are making improvements! We look forward to seeing you on your next visit!

Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I wasn't thrilled with this place but it was clean and centrally located. We stayed in a 2BR, 2BA suite which in and of itself was fairly nice. The room had a non-working fireplace and small kitchen and plenty of room. The room itself was clean but there was an unpleasant smell in this hotel, almost like heavy air freshner. If not for that, it would have been fine. The parking wasn't the most convenient nor was getting to our rooms. We had to walk through the lobby, out the door, and through the pool area. Free hot breakfast was included which wasn't bad with the usual scrambled eggs, sausage patties, pastries and muffins. There were fresh waffles, sausage gravy and potato pancakes as well. Over all not bad but the smell was hard to get around.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Ashleigh R, General Manager at Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Plantation, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear Guest,
We're sorry to hear that you did not fully enjoy your stay with us. We've looked into your comment about the 'heavy air freshener' smell and are working on improvements. We really do appreciate your feedback and hope that you will allow us to improve your stay on your next visit to Ft. Lauderdale!

Northeast
Reviewed May 5, 2013

The photo of this hotel shows a very sunny yellow building. And it is sunny and yellow -- on the outside. The inside is so dark. The hallways smell like dirty laundry. The carpets are filthy. If you walk around your room in white socks, they will be a dark grey on the bottom after a short time! The furniture is banged up. There were nasty stains on the sofa. There were even dirty bootprints on the bathroom floor. What was that from??

The breakfast area was recently renovaed (they should've spent the money on doing up the guest rooms instead), but they chose such dark colors -- made the place gloomier than ever. A dark interior isn't a big deal -- but a dirty hotel is.

The desk staff was curt and unpleasant and unhelpful. It's hard to understand the good reviews this place has recently received, because it is a pit.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel. Don't be fooled by the pretty pictures!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank DisneyWorlders
Ashleigh R, General Manager at Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Plantation, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
DisneyWorlders,
Thank you for your feedback on your most recent stay with us. Although I hate to hear that your time with us was less than perfect, I do appreciate you bringing your concerns to our attention. We have listened and are already working on improvements! This week we had every guest room carpet professionally cleaned. We have also added additional staffing for weekend breakfast to handle the high demands. I hope that you will visit us again soon, I can assure you necessary improvements are being made daily. Thank you again.
Largo, Florida, United States
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Great hotel. Rooms are big and clean with everything to make your stay comfortable. Stall was real friendly, always saying hi and checking to see if you need anything. They serve a hot breakfast that included eggs, sausage and even biscuits and gravy. With a group of 6 adults, the 2 room/2 bath room was prefect. We will all be back for our next visit.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Kevin,
We're so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we really appreciate all your positive feedback! We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Plantation!

Berlin, Germany
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We went to this hotel due to a recommendation of a friend and due to the good reviews we saw in tripadvisor, we were very happy during our 14 night stay in a suite. We recommend this hotel because it gives to guests more than what they ask for, I particularly liked the fact, that several days before my trip, Trish sent me an email asking if we had any particular request or need, this small kindness was the best start of our experience with this hotel and made the difference to other hotels we have been. Our requests were fulfilled and we were very warmly welcomed. The only thing that was not perfect was the arrangement of the sofa-bed, a couple of days the sofa-bed was not completely well done and the pillows were over the floor and the blankets not so nicely accommodated, but besides that I have nothing bad to say about this hotel. Breakfast was good with the possibility to prepare fresh waffles everyday and everyday the selection was changed. A particular thing I liked about this hotel is that not only breakfast is included, but also DINNER! three days a week, this was awesome because for the price of the hotel, an included breakfast and 3 x week dinner is great, I would rather request the residence inn ft Lauderdale at plantation to extend the itinerary of the dinner, because it is only until 7:30pm and this time is too early, maybe to extend it until 9:30pm o 10pm would be great, we couldn't make it a couple of times due to this. The pool has a jacuzzi besides it and for people with limited mobility, the pool offers two special elevators for handicapped. I want to congratulate for the good service and the well maintaining the personnel does to this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask with enough time what you want from a room (close to elevator, close to washing rooms, etc.)
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Ashleigh R, General Manager at Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Plantation, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Paul,
Thank you so much for your positive feedback and compliments! As an extended stay guest we're very happy to hear that we were able to be a part of your trip and accommodate your needs. Also, we will take into consideration your suggestion for the dinner hours! Thank you again, and we look forward to seeing you and your family on your next visit to Ft. Lauderdale!
Regards,