“What you get is what you expect”

Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Plantation
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Plantation
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I think the hotel needs renovation, but in general you find at a very affordable price a clean and excellent room for 5 people in a room with great spaces. You will like the amount of electric outlets in convenient places to charge all your electronics. The morning breakfast is just ok, and the space to eat is rather small.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at a quiet zone and close to the elevator
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank MPM_WORLDWIDE
julieaston, General Manager at Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Plantation, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Dear MPM_WORLDWIDE
Thank you for taking the time to review the Residence Inn, I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and our spacious two bedroom suite met your needs. We have just completed the gatehouse/lobby renovation and are currently installing brand new stainless steel appliances to all our suites. I know they will make a big impact. We look forward to seeing you again.
Julie Aston

Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for three nights and was not happy with my experience. Issues I encountered:

1. This is an older Marriott property. Some upgrades have been recently made, but I felt the rooms showed their age. Older bathroom and kitchen in our room. The hallways also always smelled like stale food odors.

2. The place was crawling with kids. I don't hate kids, but I did not like staying in a hotel with loud kids in the pool area and screaming kids in the hallways.

3. Only went to get breakfast the first day and never wanted to return! The breakfast area was over run with people, there were no plates available and most food was gone. My husband also did not enjoy getting shoved out of the way by two kids who then took the last of the muffins.

4. Service we encountered was sub par. We discovered that the room did not have sheets for the pullout couch so we had to request those. My husband also asked for an extra blanket for the pullout couch bed since we were not provided a duvet for that bed and the front desk person gave him a hard time about it. Very silly and annoying!

5. Housekeeping service was also an issue. The first day we were gone all day and found the housekeeper cleaning our room at 5:30pm when we came back to the room so we waited by the pool while she cleaned.

The next day housekeeping knocked on our door at 9am and also at 9:45am while we were eating breakfast. Both times we asked that they come by later. We were out of the room after 10:30am for most of the day, but the room never ended up bring cleaned.

Overall not a great stay at the Mariott Residence Inn Ft. Lauderdale.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank burningrivergirl
julieaston, General Manager at Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Plantation, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2012

Dear burningrivergirl
Thank you for reviewing your stay at our property. During the holiday season we are definitely more of a leisure and family oriented hotel, many families being larger and with children. Over the holidays families also like that we have the kitchen to make food during their vacation. Based on this the breakfast and social and general feel of the hotel is very busy with more than double the normal amount of people calling us home. This kind of environment is not for everyone and so during this time this hotel may not be completely suited to your needs. I am sorry you did not feel like you received the service we at Marriott pride ourselves in and hope you will continue to use the brand in the future.
Julie Aston

Reviewed December 19, 2012

I was in Ft. Lauderdale for a couple days on business and stayed at another Marriott property. I decided to stay an extra week with Marriott reward points at the Residence Inn Plantation and couldn't have been more pleased! According to marriott rewards, I've stayed 100 'reward nights' and this was by far the best experience I've had. While Marriott is my brand of choice (when priced right), I've never felt as 'at home' as I did with this property. Didn't get her name, but the gal that checked us in was exceptionally nice and personable, the room was very clean with everything you could possibly need and larger than my first apartment. The entire staff really seemed to enjoy their jobs, which is hard to come by. I arrived on a Wed which was complimentary dinner (BBQ night) which featured excellent burgers and hot dogs along with drinks and some sides. I've seen reviews about the construction, but I didn't hear anything. My only drawback was housekeeping. The hotel advertises housekeeping service up to 3pm. I left my room most days around 1:30 and my room wasn't made up (don't really care other than having the trash pile up). All in all, a great experience and I highly recommend!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank corylong
Reviewed December 16, 2012

We stayed here for one night prior to leaving on a cruise. The location is about 10 minutes away from the Fort Lauderdale airport and very easy to find. There are lots of shopping options and places to eat nearby.

The property was in good shape, part of the lobby was still under construction on December 8. Our room was clean and quiet and all of the staff was very friendly. The included breakfast was very good as well. We'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jessica W
Reviewed December 15, 2012

I stayed with my husband and sister and friend here before a cruise. I did my research before hand and was able to use my Marriott points for the stay. We checked in and at first were given a room that was already occupied but at the right moment a nice young man on staff bringing towels up came up and called the front desk on his radio for us. We had to go back to the lobby to get new new keys but the new room was a bit of a upgrade. We were booked for a suite with a sofa bed but the new room had two proper beds and full kitchen. A few minutes after we got in we got a phone call checking on us! The staff was great and very helpful.
Breakfast in the lobby was quite good but we got there a bit late and there wasn't much fruit left but otherwise there were lots of eggs and bacon and French toast and cereal and it was all excellent.
The renovations in the lobby didn't impact us at all and was barely noticeable actually. The room was nice, the tile in the bathroom looked new and the room was comfortable. The AC in the room was loud and I woke up when it kicked on but it didn't stay on long and it did the trick to keep it cool.
I would definitely recommend staying here. We took a cab to the Sawgrass Mills Mall about 20 min away for dinner and shopping and we walked to Walgreens across the street.
I can't say enough how friendly the staff was. We enjoyed our stay and would stay again for sure.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank tbrider28
Reviewed December 4, 2012

I stayed one night on Dec 1, 2012. The lobby was under renovation. Not sure if this was the reason, but the front desk attendant had me pull a scratch-off card from a bowl that awarded me an additional 250 Marriott Rewards points. Later in the afternoon, a gentleman delivered a plate full of cookies to my room with a note that informed me I was the Guest of the Day, awarding me an addtional 500 Marriott Rewards points! The room was clean and adequate for my overnight stay. I'll definitely be staying here when in the area.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Booked a two bedroom (room 309) for the family (2 adults, 2 children) - fantastic rate of USD150.00 per night. Was a bit concerned about the reviews saying there was construction on site. Did email Marriotts and they confirmed the construction and suggested that I contact the hotel directly if I had further concerns - I did not do that but did check on other hotels nearby in case we arrived there and it was not suitable. Arrived from a late flight and check in was seamless, friendly and welcoming, acknowledged that I was a Marriotts reward member. Arrived to a clean and fresh room, everything as advertised online.
Day 1 - no construction noise and went to breakfast. All staff greeted us and made us very welcome. Breakfast was perfectly adequate and included scrambled eggs, bacon, fruit, yogurt, selection of cereals, pastries and breads, coffee, tea, juices. This was included in the room rate for 4 persons.
Three evenings a week management puts on a drinks and eats evening for a couple of hours - wine, beer and a canape is available at reception - although we did not partake we did observe the offerings and again part of the room rate.
We also observed free popcorn served at reception when we returned from shopping. 24/7 they also offer fresh brewed coffee, tea and iced water infused with lemon.
Each day was the same - great breakfast, friendly staff. The day before last we went to breakfast and we were greeted with the staff in hard hats as they had boarded up the breakfast area and they were directing us to where breakfast was being served. Although it was a bit congested it was all perfectly fine and the what was amazing was that the hoarding was put up with no inconvenience to guests.
Housekeeping was great - kept our room clean, tidy and fresh! Paul Mitchell products - my daughters were impressed!
On our last evening our room card key stopped working - went to reception and they apologized and sorted it out in seconds!
Everyone we came into contact with including pool cleaning staff etc were super efficient and friendly.
This is perfect for families - we will definitely be returning. This is one place that really does offer value for money and the staff are exceptional. Just excellent!

Room Tip: Stayed in 309 which was two bedroom had access to the car park which was great when returning from t...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family