“ANTS!!!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Plantation
St. Petersburg, Florida
“ANTS!!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

I am still angry about this hotel. When i got to the room, I noticed ants all over the place in the vicinity of the coffee maker. I went back to the desk, waited in line, and informed the clerk of the ants. I even showed him (I brought the coffee tray down with me with ants still on it). He offered to send up a maintenance person to spray, but I told him NO; we cannot tolerate the spray and requested another room. He said ok, by the time I got the key for a new room and returned to our room, someone had already been there and sprayed. My father has COPD and is sensitive to chemicals. I told the person at the front NO Spray and they did anyway. So we moved to another room, and this one had MORE ants than the first one!!!!!! This time i did not dare say anything for fear they would poison us there too with the spray. This hotel is a disgrace!!! - beautiful old building, but maintained poorly.

Room Tip: Check your room for ants... these are Pharaoh ants and very small to detect.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank regnadkcin
Ken H, Manager at Sawgrass Inn & Conference Center, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
On behalf of the new Management Team and Staff at the Quality Inn Sawgrass Conference Center we would like to thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to post your comments about your recent stay. We are currently making improvements to the grounds, pool, landscaping and service operations. We do take all comments seriously, appreciate your honesty and we want you to know that we are working diligently to improve our product and our service.. Please feel free to contact us at Reservations@QualityInnSawgrass.com.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Stamford, Connecticut
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2012

I was in a hurry when I booked this hotel and used my points. I never checked the reviews, lesson learned-always check before booking. I travel often and stay in many hotels each year. THIS ONE WAS THE WORST. When driving into the parking lot there was garbage on the ground and debris from all the trees surounding the property. It wouldn't have been difficult to blow off the parking lot to make it look decent. Our room was suppose to be a no smoking room, It had been smoked in. We called the desk to let them know our concern, all the front deck said was that they would make a note of it. The carpets were dirty, the walls were dirty, the bathtub had a reddish film on the tile in the bath tub area. With in 10 mins. I was back down checking out of this scummy hotel. I also wrote Choice Properties to let them know of the problem. I did get a nice "form" letter back and they returned the points to my account

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sklpsycho
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2012

The hotel service staff was friendly and helpful. Definitely need a car to get to any major attractions but the shuttle to Sawgrass Mills was convenient and accomodating. The pool area was great, the room comfortable. Denny's is right next door as is a little mini mall in walking distance. If you are looking to relax, this is a great place...oh, they advertise a happy hour but it really doesnt exist, the buffet breakfast in the morning was terrific.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Tiffany M
St. John's, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2012

A group of eight of stayed here (April 2012) for two nights after our cruise, and i suggest you look elsewhere. It may be cheap but as the old adage goes, you get what you pay for!!! The rooms are dated and stink.....the carpet is stained and disgusting, there was hair all over the bathroom, the front desk service people need to learn some manners as well. This place is awful, and I will bnever stay there again. The grounds were dirty and the pool was awful.... dirty bandaids floating in it, dead snakes, paint peeling off pool and full of mildew!!!

Room Tip: Do not choose this hotel period!!!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Tanya B
Mount Desert
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2012

We stayed here in March of 2012, after flying all day we just wanted a comfortable place to stay, being in the hotel business myself I felt this chain would be affordable and sufficient for our needs. We only needed to be in Florida over night before travelling on. When I walked into the hotel there was only 1 person at the desk and we ended up waiting over a half an hour in the lobby to check in. Once we finally got the key to our room we walked through an outdoor area littered with trash, climbed a flight of beer soaked stairs and entered our room that housekeeping hadn't even finished cleaning. There weren't any pillows on the beds and the entire room smelled like mildew. Needless to say i complained to the manager and was offered another room which didn't seem nearly as bad until we entered the bathroom where there was no hot water, the tissue box was empty and there was hair in the shower. The ONLY redeeming quality to this hotel was the manager was willing to himself come clean our room. Sorry to say I wouldn't stay here again for free...

Room Tip: Spend the extra money to stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Taylor F
Fort Worth, Texas, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2012

This Hotel was worse than ever in my 22 years of business travel. I cannot believe this place is allowed to operate and do business in the community. dont let the lobby fool you, the rooms and bathroom are filthy and the grounds are a mess. i spent 4 hrs and just left.

Room Tip: dont book this...if you do cancel or be prepared to sleep in filth.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Traveler4life66
Longmont, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2012

I stayed here in February 2012 and was very disappointed. First, the air conditioner would not cool the room despite being on full-blast for two hours. The front desk was hardly sympathetic but I eventually got another room. The rooms have a dank/moldy smell to them, the mattress was old and lumpy, and the tile was cracked in the bathroom. This may have been a nice hotel in the 1980s but it is severely lacking in maintenance and upgrades. Don't be fooled by the fancy "Sawgrass" name. I'd highly advise looking for something more clean and modern, and only wish I had read the reviews here before staying here.

Room Tip: If you are forced to stay here, avoid the west-facing rooms at all costs; they are in direct sun and...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JoeS4128
Also consider these accommodations in or near Plantation
Sawgrass Grand Hotel
Sawgrass Grand Hotel
#4 of 4 in Sunrise
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Ft Lauderdale - Plantation
Doubletree by Hilton Sunrise - Sawgrass Mills
La Quinta Inn & Suites Ft. Lauderdale Plantation
La Quinta Inn & Suites Sunrise
Staybridge Suites Ft. Lauderdale Plantation

Been to Sawgrass Inn & Conference Center? Share your experiences!