“Great stay, Great Staff”

Renaissance Fort Lauderdale-Plantation Hotel
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Plantation
Charleston, SC
“Great stay, Great Staff”
Reviewed October 3, 2008

My recent stay at the Renaissance Plantation hotel was just lovely. I was there with my family and we had a wonderful time on our trip.

The hotel was easy to find and the lobby area is very pleasing. Check in was quick and the rooms were comfy. Our last day we spent a lot of time out by the pool and found the area to be clean and well kept. It was what you would expect from a Renaissance but also with a level of service that is not so expectable anymore.

I will most likely be returning to the area and will have no problems staying there again.

• Stayed September 2008
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Hebrew first
NY, NY
Reviewed August 24, 2008

My experience here was amazing. Check-in was prompt. The employee who greeted me at the front desk knew me by name throughout my stay. The food at the restaurant was outstanding. The pool and whirlpool were very nice and not busy at all. The exercise room had all the needed equipment. The room itself was comfortable. I had no negatives at all. This hotel is top notch and I would happily recommend to anyone.

• Liked — service, location
  • Stayed August 2008
1 Thank NYCandworld
USA
Reviewed July 18, 2008

On the morning I checked out I mistakenly left a dress in the closet of my room. I discovered the mistake the next morning and called immediately. I was promised a call back and didn't receive one. I called again in the afternoon and was told that unfortunately they did not have my dress. I asked if another guest had checked into the room and I was told that no one had occupied it since I checked out. Since the dress was no longer in the room, and no guest had followed me, it was obvious that the dress left with a staff member who had room access. I asked to speak to a manager and did finally speak to the director of room operations who kept telling me how good their track record is with Lost & Found. All evidence to the contrary. It was obvious that the staff member who had my dress wasn't going to come forward and admit taking it so I'm out a nice dress and any trust I would have had for this property. If you choose to stay here, don't leave anything. Obviously the staff believes in "finders keepers."

• Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank qbchica
LaVelle75, Director of Sales & Marketing at Renaissance Fort Lauderdale-Plantation Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2008
Dear Customer,

I was only recently made aware of the negative experiences you encountered as our guest at the Renaissance Plantation Hotel. Please accept my most sincere apology for the problems relating to your missing wardrobe item.

I assure you that what you experienced was an exception and not the norm of our daily operations. We take great pride in our customer service record and the importance of ensuring a trouble-free stay. I regret we fell short of delivering a positive experience, and will use your feedback to retrain our associates who dropped the ball to make sure such failures do not happen again.

We value your business and the trust you place in us. I hope that you will be willing to give us an opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel. Please call me directly the next time your travels bring you back to the area. I would be delighted to personally take care of your reservation details and I look forward to meeting you.

Alice Land
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed June 19, 2008

We stayed at the Renaissance Hotel in Plantation to visit some relatives we had nearby. This hotel is beautiful inside and out. You check in to a beautiful lobby and a nice font desk. We go into the room (316) and its spacious and spotless, The beds were very comfortable and very good bedding, the bathroom was also clean and in good condition. They have a mini market in the lobby which is also very convenient, and a very good restaurant. We didn't get to check out the pool area because we left very early but i'm sure it was nice. If your in the Ft. Lauderdale/Plantation area you should definitely stay here!

• Liked — Nice Area and Clean Rooms
  • Stayed December 2005, traveled with family
2 Thank JM11traveler
nc
Reviewed June 4, 2008

having been in the Travel Industry for many years and having had the plesaure of staying at some of the finest hotels in the world, I think I am in a postion to judge. Having said that, the Renaissance in Plantation Fl. is by far in the same league as any fine hotel i have been at. From the moment I checked in to the moment of departure, the staff in this hotel would go out of their way to be friendly, courteous and professional never making you feel like it was ingenuine. The restaurant, executive lounge, gym, pool area, meeting facilites, etc were all in unbelievable condition. For a hotel more than 6 years old you would think it opened yesterday. There is absolutely nothing I can say that would come close to a negative. Even the location is wonderful. Right off the majore east west hwy 595, you can zip to the beach in arund 15 minutes, go to the casinos in under 10, shop at one of the largest malls in the country in under 10, catch a Marlins game in around 15-20. Additionally, you feel incredibly safe and at home. Marriott should make this their training center. If they could clone this hotel, they would elevate their standing to that of Four Seasons or Ritz and I am not exaggerating

• Liked — staff, pool,food,room,location
  • Disliked — having had to leave
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
3 Thank woody999
Florida
Reviewed April 4, 2008

We stayed one night in March 2008.
We were greeted at the front desk by a very personable and polite receptionist named Debbie.
The lobby was clean and modern with a great steel drum player entertaining in the lobby.
The room was clean and the bed very comfortable.
Our view was not the greatest, but ok for the short stay.

Negatives were - the TV needs to be upgraded to a flat screen.
The bathroom is small with one sink and a very tiny countertop.

The fitness room is not large but has all the equipment for a good workout.

We ate at the Bin 385 restaurant and it was very good. Our waitress was very helpful and competent. Food was excellent.

Overall, a pleasant experience and we will be back!

• Liked — Overall very clean and the staff were all excellent.
  • Disliked — Old style TV and small bathroom with only one sink.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Lottie001
Reviewed February 5, 2008

I stayed here for two nights for a business trip. Let me bore you with some details and let you make your own decision about this hotel when comparing locations and prices on your own . . .

Check in is 4 p.m. but I was able to check in when I arrived at 11 a.m. However, I was told I did not choose a room preference, so I handed them my print out from Travelocity asking for a king-size non-smoking room. They were able to accommodate this request. The front desk personnel was very pleasant and patient.

The room was set to 75 degrees when I checked it, while it was 80 degrees outside. If you are someone who likes your room to be very cold - I tried setting the temperature to 63 one day and I don’t feel when I returned that night it ever felt “cold.”

The room had a stain on it’s rug about the size of a dinner plate. The curtain to darken the room for the large window was torn off two hooks, so it wasn’t possible to block out the parking lot lights or morning sun.

The room was very quiet. I was three rooms down the hall from the exercise room, which had two TVs. I never heard it.

The first night I ran the tub to take a bath, and several hairs floated up from the drain.

Also, the bathroom door does not stay open. It cannot stay open – it will automatically close. The hair dryer was on its last legs, and vibrated in your hand and made the whirling sound on a hair dryer about to die out.

I also used the two glasses in the bathroom, and the two glass provided in the room, all in one night. I left them all together on the desk for housekeeping the following morning, so it would be noticed they needed to be replaced. They were not. All 4 glasses, two with the residue stain soda makes at the bottoms still there.

I checked out the coffee pot, and it was not glass – it was older silver (stainless steel?). I would not have risked using it.

This hotel is conveniently located from the Ft. Lauderdale airport. The directions are simple, so if you are unfamiliar with the area it would still be a breeze. However, look for the hotel off Pine Island Rd. and take what looks like the most logical turn to you. There’s no sign for an entrance, it was blown down in the last hurricane a couple years ago. The new hurricane codes in FL have made those signs too expensive for Marriott to have replaced it yet.

I got room service both nights in the hotel. The staff was excellent, very friendly, very pleasant and professional. However, one night my drink came up 1/2 after my dinner.

I hope this helps you when choosing a hotel in the area. If I was on a personal vacation, rather than business, I would have looked to leave this hotel and try to find something else.

I would never stay at this hotel again. It is highly over-rated, and I’ve staying in a local Courtyard by Marriott which is much nicer. The photos are their website are quiet deceiving, as the lake it overlooks is really a lake at the center of the business park the Renaissance shares with other buildings.

• Liked — Staff was pleasant and professional
  • Disliked — Highly - HIGHLY - overrated
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business