Renaissance Fort Lauderdale-Plantation Hotel
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Plantation
Reviewed February 5, 2008

I stayed here for two nights for a business trip. Let me bore you with some details and let you make your own decision about this hotel when comparing locations and prices on your own . . .

Check in is 4 p.m. but I was able to check in when I arrived at 11 a.m. However, I was told I did not choose a room preference, so I handed them my print out from Travelocity asking for a king-size non-smoking room. They were able to accommodate this request. The front desk personnel was very pleasant and patient.

The room was set to 75 degrees when I checked it, while it was 80 degrees outside. If you are someone who likes your room to be very cold - I tried setting the temperature to 63 one day and I don’t feel when I returned that night it ever felt “cold.”

The room had a stain on it’s rug about the size of a dinner plate. The curtain to darken the room for the large window was torn off two hooks, so it wasn’t possible to block out the parking lot lights or morning sun.

The room was very quiet. I was three rooms down the hall from the exercise room, which had two TVs. I never heard it.

The first night I ran the tub to take a bath, and several hairs floated up from the drain.

Also, the bathroom door does not stay open. It cannot stay open – it will automatically close. The hair dryer was on its last legs, and vibrated in your hand and made the whirling sound on a hair dryer about to die out.

I also used the two glasses in the bathroom, and the two glass provided in the room, all in one night. I left them all together on the desk for housekeeping the following morning, so it would be noticed they needed to be replaced. They were not. All 4 glasses, two with the residue stain soda makes at the bottoms still there.

I checked out the coffee pot, and it was not glass – it was older silver (stainless steel?). I would not have risked using it.

This hotel is conveniently located from the Ft. Lauderdale airport. The directions are simple, so if you are unfamiliar with the area it would still be a breeze. However, look for the hotel off Pine Island Rd. and take what looks like the most logical turn to you. There’s no sign for an entrance, it was blown down in the last hurricane a couple years ago. The new hurricane codes in FL have made those signs too expensive for Marriott to have replaced it yet.

I got room service both nights in the hotel. The staff was excellent, very friendly, very pleasant and professional. However, one night my drink came up 1/2 after my dinner.

I hope this helps you when choosing a hotel in the area. If I was on a personal vacation, rather than business, I would have looked to leave this hotel and try to find something else.

I would never stay at this hotel again. It is highly over-rated, and I’ve staying in a local Courtyard by Marriott which is much nicer. The photos are their website are quiet deceiving, as the lake it overlooks is really a lake at the center of the business park the Renaissance shares with other buildings.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
3  Thank Lottie001
There are newer reviews for Renaissance Fort Lauderdale-Plantation Hotel

Reviewed December 6, 2007

I am a frequent business traveler. This hotel is not up to par with other Marriott properties in my opinion. I was able to get the room I booked with a king bed. I was optimistic upon first arriving at the hotel since the exterior appearance is pleasing and looked newer. The lobby was nicely appointed. Service and reception was not the usual enthusiastic response I have come to expect from Marriott staff, but it was not bad either.

When I got to my room my opinion quickly changed about the hotel for the worse. My room was very small, and the bathroom one of the smallest I have ever seen in a hotel. The lighting is horrible - no incandescent bulbs to be found. Picture a bathroom as bright as a hospital room and you start to get the idea. There is no way to dim this lighting.

I was able to hear the conversation in the room next to me word for word through the paper thin walls. The toilet was running as well. Engineering came to fix this, or at least slow it to running every few minutes. Gee thanks!

Fortunately there is a white noise machine in the room. You will need it! My room had a half-height window with a view of the highway and parking lot and the road noise that comes with it. This was on the fourth floor.

There is no wireless internet access to be found and you will have to pay $10 to use the wired access. Fortunately the ethernet cable in my room had a broken connector so I never had the privilege of trying it out. My wireless (3G) card worked fine.

Food in the restaurant at the hotel was good, but overpriced. Service in this restaurant was excellent.

Overall I would not recommend this hotel. There are better places to stay for your money in this area.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank shadowhdn
Reviewed September 16, 2007

I stayed at this hotel while on a business trip and loved every minute of it. Very easy to get to from the Ft. Lauderdale airport -- beautiful hotel, beautiful rooms, excellent customer service! This was one business trip I enjoyed immensely!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank Sarah B
Reviewed September 9, 2007

The hotel was beautiful and the staff was excellent. We felt like VIPs throughout our entire stay.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank Guest103
Reviewed July 7, 2007

This stay ranks among my worst stays ever at a hotel.

I booked the room directly from the hotel. I booked the room in March 2007 for my July 2007 stay. I specifically asked for a king non-smoking room, and was told by the hotel that my request was guaranteed.

Upon checking in, I was told that I had a double room, and that there were no king rooms available. "How could this be?" I asked. I was told that there were no kings available when I booked the room. "Wait a minute . . . I booked the room FOUR MONTHS ago . . . that doesn't make sense!" I was basically told . . . TOO BAD!

Of course, I did not give up. I insisted, and insisted yet again, and surprisingly, a king room became available! Now I can sleep in the same bed as my wife. Good.

The experience does not end there. The "concierge" was never on duty, and no one could seem to give accurate directions to any of my destinations.

I checked out three days later. I was on a business trip. I was told by the business to make my reservation, to mention that I was with their group, and that the room would be directly billed to the business. That did not happen. Upon check out, I was charged the full rate for my stay. The hotel said that the business needed to call in to confirm that it was okay to direct bill as a precaution. This despite the fact that I had a letter on business letterhead confirming these arrangements. Again, I was told TOO BAD!

Did I mention that my room was never cleaned during my entire stay?

Needless to say, I will NEVER stay at this hotel again, and I will make sure to tell my fellow frequent travelers to avoid this hotel at all costs.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank JurisDr
Reviewed May 13, 2007

This is a very nice hotel. I stayed for 2 nights, 5/11 and 5/12/07. On Saturday, I did not get maid service while I was out of the room from 9:00 AM until 4:00 PM. I called for service and left the room at 7 PM. I was told that the service would occur up until 9 PM. When I arrived back later, the service was performed and the room was cleaned well. They did not replace the shampoo. I was not satisfied with this and am accustomed to maid service when I am out for the day.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank sedator
Reviewed April 15, 2007

I've stayed at many very fine hotels in the US and in Europe, and I can say the staff at this hotel was among the best I've ever encountered. Everyone was pleasant, helpful and knew their job. Dinner at the restaurant was quite good, and the waiters were all actually trained (not always the case in hotel restaurants) All of my requests were met. My room was spacious and clean. I had a moment of dread because the room faced a major road - but it honestly was one of the quietest rooms I've ever encountered. And definitely the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in at a hotel.

I was in the area for business, so I don't think I'd choose this hotel if I wanted to be by the beach. But if you don't mind a little drive, this hotel is a good deal.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank showbizchick
Also consider these accommodations in or near Plantation
Sheraton Suites Fort Lauderdale Plantation
Hyatt Place Fort Lauderdale / Plantation
Doubletree by Hilton Sunrise - Sawgrass Mills
Hampton Inn Ft. Lauderdale Plantation
Courtyard Fort Lauderdale Plantation
La Quinta Inn & Suites Plantation at SW 6th St

Been to Renaissance Fort Lauderdale-Plantation Hotel? Share your experiences!