“great food and service-but.......”
Review of Rosie's Clam Shack - CLOSED

Rosie's Clam Shack
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Reviewed April 13, 2014

I've been eating here for 3 decades but the dining room is dirty and smelly. Badly in need of a cleaning and updated resturant.
when I went in the first thing I saw was an empty lobster tank with cloudy and dirty water in it. There was an old lingering odor in the room that got stuck to my clothes for the night. I wasn't the only one that noticed the upkeep issues. they didn't even have proper napkins. The enjoy windows were dirty and the blinds were broken. I love the food here and hope they get it together.
But the food is great and priced right.

3  Thank sokemike

Reviewed March 17, 2014

Never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined 49th Street in Pinellas Park to be a culinary destination, but twice over the last several days my bride and I found ourselves drawn to this boulevard of nondescript strip malls.

Our first trip took us to Terra Mar Brazilian Steakhouse where we enjoyed a very flavorful and affordable churrascaria. As we were pulling into the parking lot, there right before my very eyes, I spied Rosie's Clam Shack. Oh, be still my thumping gizzard. I considered a change in dining venues, but we had already made reservations at Terra Mar. I am glad we kept those reservations, but a return to 49th Street was in our future.

So it came to pass this past Sunday that my bride and I made that trek across Gandy Bridge to Pinellas Park in answer the Sirens's call of Rosie's.

We were immediately greeted by the vivacious and ever so charming Janai who would be our server, guide, and instructor on our dining adventure. The early dinner crowd had not arrived yet, so we were fortunate to have Janai pretty much to ourselves.

The first order of bidness were beers to wash away the road dust. Next on my agenda were appetizers. I couldn't make up my mind, should it be oysters on the half shell or Whole Belly Steamers in Shell. To break this mental impasse, I decided to have both.

The oysters were perfectly shucked to preserve that delicious salty liquor and brought to mind these lines written by Hemingway, "...as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.”

My happy plans were to polish off the supremely delightful clams, after a quick lesson from Janai. She correctly observed that I didn't have a clue as to what I was doing and suggested that I remove the sheath from the clam appendage before rinsing it. Who knew? We didn't have "them there Yankee" clams when I was growing up in the Florida panhandle.

My only disappointment while at Rosie's was finding out that some hog-dawg before me had scarfed up the last of the whole Maine lobsters. What now, thought I? I remembered that a previous visitor to Rosie's had commented on how good the fried oysters were. I haven't had any fried oysters since Altman's Drive-In burned down on Panama City Beach, and that was over fifty years ago.

Rosie's fried Oyster Plate was piled with lightly breaded, perfectly fried oysters. These mollusks were still plump, flavorful, and juicy. The oyster plate comes with a two sides. I chose extra crispy fries with a bowl of coleslaw.

My dining partner was mulling over the Fresh Catch of the Day. "I wonder what it is?" queried my bride. "Haddock," called out Janai who was cleaning a nearby table. So, a lightly battered, succulent haddock it was, with a side of parsley potatoes.

Even if the food had not been delightful, the trip across the bay still would have been worthwhile just to enjoy the company of the very professional and personable Janai.

We were seated in the main dining area, but as we were leaving I discovered a rather cozy looking full liquor bar with a happy hour from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Rosie's Clam Shack was a great food find, and I can definitely suggest a return trip or two. The food, adult beverages, and 20% gratuity for Janai came to a very pleasant $86.72.

3  Thank Jon R
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Fried Whole Belly Clams were just as good as I get at home on Cape Cod in Mass. The staff was friendly and helpful. I also had the Fried Smelts. They were as good as I make at home. The Cole Slaw could use a little spicing up but was very fresh. they also make their own Tarter and Cocktail sauces and they were excellent.

3  Thank Gary T
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Really great value for the money.

The Clam Shack is off the beaten path and not easy to find.

Once there, the seafood is quality!

The nautical decor only enhances the dining experience.

Some folks go to a restaurant for the ambiance.

I prefer good food at reasonable prices.

I'll revisit The Clam Shack.

2  Thank Keen M
Reviewed December 17, 2013

WE HAVE EATEN THERE ABOUT A DOZEN TIMES. We love the clams and the fried shrimp!
THE ATMOSPHERE IS GREAT. The owners operate the restaurant and are very friendly and engaging .My wife and I and My sister and friends just love this place , we go there everytime we are in St petersburg.

2  Thank Billdenhart