“Best Indian in Tampa Bay”
Review of Clay Oven - CLOSED

Clay Oven
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Description: Welcome to Clay Oven! Clay Oven derives its name from tandoor, which is used in traditional Punjabi/North Indian cooking and baking. Punjab is a northern state of India and is very popular for its rich food and flavours, originating from its traditional way of clay oven cooking. Food cooked in Clay Oven is authentic and emits unique aroma – a taste that is impossible to duplicate! Cooking in clay is one of the oldest techniques for cooking exotic meals. The process dates back to the early settlements of the ancient Indus Valley and Harappan Civilization.
Reviewed March 8, 2014

Have tried several, but Clay Oven is the BEST in the Bay for Indian food. Ask for Jessica as your server - she's great. We frequent them weekly and have never been disappointed. Must try the Butter Chicken or the Chicken Korma along with Nan bread. YUM

1  Thank FloridaGals
There are newer reviews for Clay Oven

Reviewed January 18, 2014

Five of us went to Clay Oven last night for dinner, having no idea what it was like. Our original restaurant choice was out of business. The food was superb. All five of us were happy with our choices. Unfortunately, they were out of the Meat Samosas, so I began with the Chicken Clear Corn Soup, which was nicely seasoned, slightly sweet, and had lots of corn and chicken in it. My lamb curry was superb - plenty of meat and a delicious curry, and basmati rice. I requested a mild curry, and that's exactly what it was. Only two of our party had room for dessert. One of them tried the Carrot Halwa, but he didn't like it, so they gladly swapped it out for the Mango Kulfi, which he loved.

There appeared to be only one server for the entire restaurant, so service was somewhat slow. The girl was great, but she was very busy. There also was a young man who was helping her, but he was not responsive at all to our requests. Hence the deduction of one star.

I would definitely go there again.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

We only stumbled across this restaurant because Taste of Punjab which was around the corner had either closed down or moved. Wanting to have Indian food for dinner, we walked over to the Clay Oven and were happy to have done so.

After a long wait (probably 20 minutes, but felt longer), our drinks and appetizers (vegetarian and non-vegetarian platters) were served. After that the rest of the meal (butter chicken, chicken tikka masala, chicken madras, a lamb dish, shrimp korma and a few others were set on the table.

The food was very good. The long wait was worth it as I know the food was being freshly prepared and not sitting under a heat lamp to keep warm.

We did ask for extra papadams, at least 2 or 3 times, but wasn't told until we were finished eating that they had run out.

1  Thank FlyAtNIght
Reviewed December 20, 2013

Excellent Indian buffet during the day, then have the dal soup in the evening. My friend and I each ordered a second bowl. It's that good! Plenty of vegetarian options, and superb flavors, but only as hot as you wish it to be. It's not about the location or the atmosphere. It's all about the food and pleasant service. In the evenings, the owner visits every table to make sure that all is well.

1  Thank Mimi A
Reviewed December 18, 2013 via mobile

I have literally eaten Indian food all over the world (including Nepal, which is India's neighbor) and I can confidently say this is the best Indian food in the world. The flavors are so rich and bold. I've never had anything I didn't like but the butter chicken is definitely my favorite dish. The servings are huge so I always end up taking half of it home with me for lunch the next day. Make sure to get some garlic naan and a mango lassi with your meal. You will be stuffed when you leave but very satisfied!