“Just needed a little help....”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Pinellas Park
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 2, 2012

I arrived at my Florida home and found that while I was away on vacation, my house had flooded. When I finally got the swollen front door open, I was greeted with an inch of water throughout and mold. After several phone calls to the insurance and restoration company, they told me that I should not stay in the house. I backed my car out of the garage, and noticed a flat tire. After I was told that my car had to be towed to get some air, I set out on my bicycle to find the nearest hotel. All my clothes in the house were moldy, and I arrived at the hotel with only my bicycle, purse, and laptop computer. The staff were so compassionate to me throughout my week long stay. They allowed me to take my bike to my room, which I really appreciated, and gave me a toothbruse. toothpaste, and deodrant. My room was clean and I enjoyed breakfast each morning. All in all, I would highly recommend this hotel, as I found the room clean, and the staff very helpful and compassionate.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed October 19, 2012

I stayed at this Hotel for just a couple of days in September 2012. After staying at the Hilton Grand vacations International Drive Orlando, this hotel was a very refreshing change indeed compared to the Hilton.

The hotel was not highly booked, but suited us as we just needed to stay a short time to visit places that we had been too before. The area has some great things to do but Ill leave you to find those.

The hotel, while clearly not a 5 star hotel (they never said it was), was a really nice and quiet place. The room was clean and tidy with no bad things going on (unlike some others in this area just down the road). I liked the overall approach of staff too, very helpful and willing (actually wanting to help) with any requests etc that you might have.

Breakfast was included and although it was a buffet style thing, was actually quite good.

The manager (a lady) was very nice and helped us with little tips etc about the area, some history of the hotel and a few other things.

Unlike the Hilton, this hotel was clean and without running cockroaches that the Hilton gave us free (yuk). The price for the stay was quite reasonable for what you got and how you were treated overall.

We will go back to this hotel in the future and I can recommend it somewhat.

Room Tip: Ask for one! If you don't like the room they will change it out without any fuss whatsoever. The...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank anthony m
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Upon arrival, I could see that the exterior of the hotel was well kept. Tusca checked us in and was very professional and quickly informed us of the hotel amenities. Our room was VERY clean; from the duvets to the bathroom floor. The breakfast was awesome! Who doesn't love FREE breakfast? Any staff member that I encountered greeted us with a smile. The desk clerk from this past Sunday morning was also very friendly. My only issue was I could not find the complimentary Otis Spunkmeyer cookies. I would highly recommend this hotel to the next person. Definitely a well kept property with a great staff!

Room Tip: Ask for a non connecting room so you can't hear the "neighbors" children.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank alexasavv h
Reviewed October 15, 2012

After where we stayed the night before, this hotel was a palace!!!! We got there before check in time and they couldn't have been nice. They even offered to upgrade us to a suite at no extra charge. The rooms were beautiful, and the air conditioner quiet. The staff was very pleasant and helpful. Our only issue was a phone call at 4:45 am telling us our taxi was waiting {we didn't order a taxi]

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I recently stayed at Country Inn and Suites in Pinellas Park, FL on Business and was extremely disappointed (to say the least) with my stay. I have stayed in many Country Inn's during travel and the overall visit was HORRENDOUS! Not only were the rooms filthy upon arrival (stains on comforters, hairs left in beds and in bathrooms); but the customer service in the hotel was deplorable... especially from management, specifically their manager, Becky Sue Robinson. (She actually identified herself as the General Manager but ended up being the manager).
Extremely poor customer service, tried discussing some issues had with the room/ visit and she wouldn't let me get in a word edge wise..kept cutting me off, raising her voice, tacked on additional fees to the room and refused to remove the charges).

Filed a complaint with their corporate office and will not be staying at this or any other Comfort Inn again!

STAY AWAY!! Better bang for your buck elsewhere... and much less hassel!! Try Hyatt Place or Courtyard Marriott much better service and the rooms are definitely more clean...

Room Tip: Say yourself time and stay elsewhere... rooms aren't clean and service awful.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank abruner1024
CountryInnSuitesPP, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, St. Petersburg - Clearwater, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

Dear Mr. Bruner,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a guest survey.

On behalf of our entire staff at Country Inns & Suites we apologize for the concerns you shared about your experience at this hotel. We are working diligently to correct these issues and I appreciate that you brought them to my attention. As a gesture of good will, we would like to offer a complimentary upgrade based upon availability on your next stay. Please contact Shawna Elam when you are ready to make another reservation.
We accommodate many guests each evening, and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one. The principal goal of our hotel is to provide dependable service to all of our guests at reasonable prices.

I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are taken seriously. They tell us what we’re doing right, what we’re doing wrong, and how we can improve. Your willingness to share your recent experience is genuinely appreciated.

Please accept our apology and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area. If you would like to discuss your experience further, please contact me directly at the hotel.

All the best,
Shawna Elam

Reviewed September 23, 2012

The Country Inn & Suites is a great hotel in a unique hotel. Close to lots of places and major highways, but remote enough to be a quiet hotel on a major street. There is a Super WalMart directly across the street, Target down the street, lots of fast food restaurants in the vicinity. A good breakfast with a nice selection is available in the front lobby everyday. The King bed room that I had was very large and comfortable. Always nice to have a refrigerator & microwave in the room, along with coffee maker. A nice television & comfortable bed finished off the picture. Fast, free internet access, unlike other hotels it was a joy to use with no drops and a very good speed. The pool, while small and missing a hot tub was nice and refreshing. The only drawback was the cleaning. The toilet had a "present" in it and the carpet could have used a vacuum, minor irritants but not real deal breakers. Each day the room was cleaned - towels changed, garbage emptied and the bed made, but again a vacuum would have been nice, but like I said before not a deal breaker. Would I stay here again, MOST DEFINITELY!! I have always found hotels in Tampa/St. Petersburg to be more expensive then most other places in Florida, but the value, service, location and amenities will have me recommending & returning to this location.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Alan N
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I grew up in the Pinellas Park/Kenneth City area and travel back frequently to see family and friends, so I'm always looking for a place to stay when I'm in town. Generally my family and I have stayed in condos on the beaches, but this time I decided to try for a spot closer to my childhood home. I was happy to find this place in Pinellas Park where we stayed three nights in August 2012.

Here's the rundown:
Location: Good if you have any business or visiting to do in the Pinellas Park area.
Facility: The room was fine. Clean enough and comfortable as well. We did have one problem when we checked in--the first room we were given didn't have a working television, including the remote control. When we informed the front desk, they were great and got us into a new room right away. We had only unpacked a little so it was just a minor headache, but I was surprised that they didn't know that this TV was not working, since it was dead as a doornail.
Service: I was impressed with the friendliness of the staff the entire time we were there. Even when we had a problem with the room, they were helpful and responsive.
Breakfast: The breakfast was just okay, not too great, and honestly by the end of our stay we weren't eating there anymore. In fact, the first morning we got breakfast the milk was sour--which was quite a nasty shock for the three of us who had taken a drink of it. Ugh! We wanted to tell the attendant, but she was so busy or away that we never got the chance to clue her in.
Pool: Very small, outside, no spa, a bit out of the way. Nothing to write home about.

All in all, we had a fine stay here once we got a room with a working TV, and it met my family's needs. Be a bit wary of the breakfast, however.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Sleep Inn
#40 of 98 in Clearwater
La Quinta Inn & Suites Clearwater South
Comfort Inn & Suites Northeast - Gateway
Comfort Inn & Suites Northeast -...
#15 of 43 in St. Petersburg

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, St. Petersburg - Clearwater? Share your experiences!