“#1204 - Excellent Property”

Palacio Condominiums
LaGrange
“#1204 - Excellent Property”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Our group was 3 families large (6 adults, 1 teenager, 5 Toddlers, 2 babies) and there was surprisingly more than enough room for everyone. All the furniture seemed up to date and in very good condition. The rooms with the King and queen had their own bathrooms and 3rd bedroom with the twin beds was directly across the hall from the 3rd bath. All had their own showers. Each bedroom and the living room came with flat screen TVs and DVD players.

The kitchen has fairly new appliances, (all stainless steel and a flat top electric range) with granite counters. There is small 2 seat table in the nook as well as a 6 seat glass dining table by the kitchen's bar (with a couple of stools). The kitchen had the basic essentials for cooking. A number of pots, pans, bowls, dishes, silverware, flatware, drink glasses. There is also a cheap knife set, wine opener, toaster and serving bowls.

The unit has a washer and dryer by the nook and a single door sized pantry for food storage. Next to the dining area is a wet bar with it's own sink for mixing drinks and such.

There is one balcony that has a sliding door access from the living room. There is a round table with 4 swiveling chairs and a pair of very comfortable lounge wicker chaises.

The property has direct access to the beach and there are 2 swimming pools and 1 hot tub. On the side of the pool area are 3 large charcoal barbeque grills. On our trip, 2 of the 3 were just replaced with brand new grills and they worked wonderfully on our shrimp and scallop skewers. the grills have their own brushes, but you'll need to supply everything else (tongs, fuel, etc.)

Things to note:
I had a strange parking issue. Since we had 3 family, we all had our own vehicles. But the condo only issues 2 parking passes. Being the last family to arrive, our vehicle was not really covered for parking. My buddy who checked us in was told that across the street is the overflow secured parking (has a gate and security code) for the condo and that is where I would need to park since I didn't have a tag. When I parked there, I was asked where my tag was and I explained I just arrived and hadn't gotten one yet (before I found out there's only 2 tags per unit). I called the late night front desk line and was instructed to leave a note on the car with my room number and to get another pass from the front desk in the morning. In the morning, I went to the front desk as instructed and was told by the clerk that both lots are for tagged cars only and that I would have to find public parking off property if I didn't want to get towed. To make a long story short, I was getting different parking instructions from the employees of this condo. I eventually just parked in the overflow with a note on my car for the duration of my stay.

Another note: The queen size room and the twin bed rooms have windows that look out into the breezeway and elevators. There is a very bright outside those windows that will make your room look like it's daytime during the evening hours. I would wake up at 4am thinking it was 6 or 7am. Its a pretty pointless window to have and really detracts from the comfort of the room. I eventually hung up a blanket over the blinds but it only helped so much.

And of the 16+ floors on this building there are only 2 elevators. So on busy times of the day, you may be waiting for an elevator for a while.

Overall I would recommend this condo. Perdido Key seemed pretty calm and relatively low populated. My friends and I are already planning a return trip for next year!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
DFW Area
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay here. The layout of the condo was great. We stayed in the three-bedroom, three-bath unit #106. The master shares the gulf-front balcony, the other master with ensuite bathroom in on the other end, with the kid room and bathroom in the middle with the living areas. Great for privacy. We missed the check-in time and after one disconnected call from the after hours phone, everything got moving quickly from that point.

The condo was clean. It had the usual dings from age, but it was definitely ready for us. Some dishes had been put away dirty, but you never know how that happened. We had a note from the property manager Kelly that our dryer was not functional and a new one would be delivered the next day, with an offer to use one in another unit if we had to have a dryer that day. True to her word, a new dryer was in place by 10 am the next day.

The balcony is nice and plenty of room to sit and relax. Our view was a bit disappointing with the parking for the condo next door to our right. However, that had to do with being on the second floor, which I chose purposefully, being afraid of heights. The rest of the view of the pool and the gulf, with the breezes off the ocean, was incredibly relaxing. We were not bothered by pool noise at all. One thing about noise, though....the balcony doors are heavy! And they sound like thunder when you open them in your unit or someone opens them in a unit around you. It's not a big deal, just present.

The kitchen is decently stocked and we used the BBQ grills in the pool area. Plenty of linens were supplied, as well as the starter items you need for the week, like dish soap. The beach chairs are OK and the attendant is very nice and friendly. The umbrellas provide decent shelter. It's a nice perk. The pool and hot tub were very nice and always clean. There are plenty of wash-off stations as well, so going back and forth between the beach and the pool was no biggie.

We met many nice families very similar in temperment to ours and the kids made friends at the pool and the beach. The beach is very well maintained and make sure to bring flashlights for crab hunting at night. It's a treat!

Overall, we felt like we spent our money well after agonizing over the many choices in the area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Kennesaw, Georgia
Reviewed December 3, 2012

We stayed in unit 1003. Had a little trouble locating the entrance to the condos. Our unit was nice, the view was amazing. The unit is well supplied with essentials, we had our Thanksgiving dinner there. For the price I don't think you can find anything nicer. We will be back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dunedin, Florida
Reviewed April 19, 2012

The beach was in excellent shape and the water was super clear... evidence that the BP oil spill has been cleaned up fairly well. Only remnants of the spill that I could see were dark patches of seaweed floating in the water... possibly stained by the oil? Otherwise, no qualms about taking a cool dip in the Gulf of Mexico... my entire family enjoyed swimming in the ocean during our vacation.

My family and I have stayed at various units in the Palacio each year since 2006. This year was our first stay in 1806. The condo has been recently renovated with soothing wall colors, comfy carpeting in the bedrooms, and an attractive laminated wood floor in the great room. The bathrooms and kitchen have durable ceramic tile floors. Sunsets are incredible to watch from the wraparound balcony that faces the south (oceanfront) and the west (Intracoastal Waterway).

Palacio... the Good:
• Beach location is prime for relaxing and water sports
• Parasailing and jetskiing are available just a short walk west on the beach
• Beach chairs and umbrellas are available to Palacio guests
• Free DVD rentals in lobby kiosk
• 2 tennis courts (lighted) available across the street
• Shopping, restaurants, and pubs are within walking distance (or a short drive)
• Front desk staff was friendly and efficient w/check-in
• Condo was clean and comfortable

Palacio... the not so good:
• Beach attendant didn't remember my family's faces (or last name)... asked me everyday if we were staying at the Palacio... even though she wrote it down on her clipboard the first day of our stay. Also, even though it was very quiet that week (i.e. not many people staying at the Palacio and plenty of availble chairs/umbrellas), the attendant wouldn't allow my family of seven to use more than two beach chairs and one umbrella each day.
• 2 lights were out on the tennis courts. I immediately requested (in person) the front desk staff to have the maintenance department replace the lights ASAP because my family likes to play tennis at night after dinner. The lights were never replaced during our entire stay Easter week.
• The 19th floor penthouse unit above our condo was noisy for a few nights... sounded like late night parties. The worst of the noise transmitted through the ceiling of the master bedroom. My wife and I would lay awake listening to the penthouse stereo/TV blasting before & after midnight, and patio doors opening & closing. Also, early in the morning we awoke to the pitter-patter of feet above our bedroom.

Past experiences with the Palacio have been positive... we will likely return if the value remains good.

Room Tip: Condos located on the SW corner of floors 14 and above afford the best unobstructed views.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank JonnyQuest1
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed February 2, 2012

Stayed in unit 1003 at the Palacio for the month of January 2012. The unit was clean, quiet and just what we wanted. The mattress in the master bedroom needs to be updated and the twin beds need to be replaced with a queen for couples to enjoy. We will probably stay here again but will ask some very specific questions before we do about building maintenance. While this condo is listed on VRBO, it is actually a (unresponsive) management company that you will contract with.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dixiebee
Reviewed September 10, 2011

Please do not allow assignment to room 1002! Dated and worn furniture never been updated since their purchase. For the money not worth it. Isolated and disappointing. Never will return!

• Stayed September 2011
7 Thank Awfu
Bentonville, Arkansas
Reviewed July 22, 2010

After making our reservations PRIOR to the oil spill and NOT being able to cancel them because we rented from an individual owner instead of Resort Quest (will NOT make that mistake again) we probably will choose another place to stay next time we come to PK.
Everything was "fine" and "not bad" but honestly, we kept looking at Indigo and wishing we had decided to stay there instead.
Other options we would have liked are Capri and Marseilles...Palacio is just in need of a sprucing up and update!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Perdido Key
Hampton Inn & Suites Orange Beach
Best Western Premier, The Tides Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Pensacola Beach
Holiday Inn Express Pensacola Be...
#1 of 10 in Pensacola Beach
Margaritaville Beach Hotel
Margaritaville Beach Hotel
#2 of 10 in Pensacola Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,112 reviews

Been to Palacio Condominiums? Share your experiences!