“Nice hotel, great staff, needs a good cleaning”

MainStay Suites Pensacola
Ranked #11 of 65 Hotels in Pensacola
Reviewed May 31, 2012

We stayed at Mainstay suites in Pensacola for 5 nights. I took my family with me on a work trip so that they could enjoy the beach while I worked and we could stay over Memorial Day weekend.

The great: The staff is super friendly, very helpful, and responsive. They work hard to make guests feel welcome and accomodated.

The good: The rooms are spacious with nice full kitchens that include marble countertops and stainless steel appliances. We are a family of 5 and there was plenty of room. The free breakfast each morning was a great value. There was sausage, scrambled eggs, gravy, lots of pastries, cereal, yogurts, instant grits and oatmeal, coffees (yucky coffee though), juices, milk, and fruit. This would have easily cost us about half the nightly rate of the room to eat at a restaurant. Very filling - something for everyone. The beds are comfy and the linens were clean and comfortable. Very nice flat screen tv that swivels to be viewed from anywhere in the room.

The needs improvement: The hot tub needs a thorough cleaning. There is an 8 inch swathe of black grease on the walls of the hot tub above the water line. I will assume that's boiled sunscreen but its nasty and it will stick to you when you lean on the walls. My son's back was just covered in the goo. GROSS. The walls of the bathroom also had patches of what look like black mold. There is no housekeeping so if you have a family of 5, you will make frequent trips for toilet paper and towels. There was a sign offering 'light touch' housekeeping at your request but when we called for it, we were told that it wasnt available at holidays. This was the Friday before Memorial Day. So we had a few bags of trash sitting and nowhere to take them.

All in all, I would certainly stay here again, but I will make sure to inspect the hot tub and pool before allowing the kids in. I give it 4 stars because the staff and breakfast value along with the spaciousness of the rooms more than make up for the few issues.

Room Tip: If you have kids that will want to swim, ask for a room near the pool. If you ask for a room facing...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Danielle B

Reviewed May 29, 2012

I was very Pl eased with this place. I have been renting vacation homes each year until this one and I was very skeptical about it at first until check in. I will be coming back. I saved plenty of money staying at thread location. I recommend this to any one looking to stay 10 from the beach.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed May 6, 2012

we were guest here Thur and Fri 5-3 and 5-4-12. Check in was quick and efficient and staff was very helpful and friendly. Our room was very clean and overall a very good experience. The breakfast was good and there were plenty of options for breakfast there from hot items like french toast, sausage, various danish rolls etc. We used the hotel as a base while we explored the Gulf Islands National Seashore and the State parks. I did think it was somewhat difficult to find at first when you get off the interstate . We will be bak again when we are in the Pensacola area. gary and mary

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 26, 2012

I needed a place to stay for the night because I didn't want to drive all the way home at night. I am a commuter at the University of West Florida and I had to stay late on Wednesday and then back again the next morning. I needed somewhere to stay that was nice and close to the school. I found this place out from expedia.com and I am very happy I did.

The only thing bad about the hotel is that it is hard to find. I had to call the front desk to get directions for some reason my cell phone's GPS is off a few blocks and says the hotel is in front of some other business.

The hotel is near I-10 and I-110 but I did not hear any highway traffic. The area looks more like condos and so does the rooms. I traveled alone and felt safe. I am a single woman in my 20's and felt comfortable. In the morning they provided me free breakfast, sausage, cereal, waffles, etc. It was great and it was free!

I like the place so much I gave housekeeping a little present, two small bottles of moscota wine. I booked a king studio room which had a full kitchen, fireplace, desk area and couch. Very large for one person. It was almost an apartment/condo.

You will be very happy here and if I have to stay overnight again I will be coming to this hotel. They also offer weekly rates for extended stay.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Valerie B
Reviewed April 7, 2012

The hotel itself is nice and seems well run. We had a bathtub issue the first night but maintenance was there in under an hour to fix it and we had no further issues. Breakfast was good and plenty of options were available...eggs, biscuits, waffles, juices, muffins,etc. The staff was a bit unfriendly and I felt they were not involved enough in managing the guests. There was a man and his three children in the whirlpool for probably an hour. The child was screaming nonstop for this entire time because he was trying to teach them how to swim...for an hour, right next to the management office. I was shocked that nothing was done to stop an incident that was truly disturbing. On our final of 4 days, there was a block party right outside our room. The kids were literally outside my door, which was only feet from the main office, hooping and hollering until at least 2 am. I know things like this happen, but I feel that its up to management to keep their eyes and ears open for disturbances like this which I felt were glaring. Also, when we needed more towels, we were told that they had no clean towels and we would have to come back in 3 1/2 hours. When we came back, we had to wait several minutes to get a few towels. Overall, though, it was a nice room for a reasonable price.

Room Tip: Get a room far away from the pool. I think that's why it was so loud, because people sometimes...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank researchercf
Reviewed March 4, 2012

I have been staying here for over 5 weeks so far.
During my stay they have upgraded all the kitchen appliances.
The staff is top notch, the grounds are clean and safe.
For an older hotel this one keeps getting better every week.

• Stayed: February 2012
MainStayPensacola, Manager at MainStay Suites Pensacola, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2012

Woww...What nice comments...yes we have been busy working hard to provide the best guest experiences for you...we sincerely appreciate your note and also thank you for your patience during our remodeling...
Team MainStay Pensacola

Reviewed January 8, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights in Jan 2012 with my hubby, 2 yr old and our dog. The rooms are comfortable and spacious but could use some updating and better cleanliness in the kitchen. The garbage disposal had an awful smell and I had to cover it with a dish to keep it from stinking up the whole room. The beds were comfortable. The staff was super friendly and very helpful. Breakfast was good, waffles were suprisingly good. They were in the process of replacing all the microwaves in the rooms. The hotel is right off the interstate but our room was very quiet. I would stay here again. It is one of the nicer pet friendly hotels we've found.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family

Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for staying at MainStay Suites in Pensacola...I am sorry you experienced some problems with your disposal. Maintainence is available most hours to address such issues so I hope you didn't have to wait too long have that issue resolved. I am glad to report that INDEED WE HAVE CONTINUED our upgrades since you were here...I am glad to report that we now have ALL NEW STAINLESS APPLIANCES to accompany the new microwave you got when you were here. We have also installed new carpet throughout...that all goes with the new bedding...new 37" flat panel HDTVs...and new cabinery...and oh yes...new granite countertops as well...Please come back soo so you can see for yourself all of our upgrades !!

Team MainStay