“You get what you pay for”

Days Inn Pensacola - Historic Downtown
Ranked #36 of 65 Hotels in Pensacola

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one night on February 5, 2013 in room 310. I was in Pensacola on business and just basically needed a place to sleep for the night. Overall I had a very mixed opinion, but I will base my review on the quality of the hotel room based upon the price I paid, which was $67.00 including taxes. There were definitely pluses and minuses about the room, which I will discuss below.

The hotel is very old and definitely shows signs of age. It was located just a few minutes’ drive from downtown Pensacola where I needed to be for a court appearance. Check-in was very quick. They did not have any single queen-sized beds available, but offered me a double, which I accepted. The elevator was very similar to the disgusting elevators in the New York City subway system I was forced to use on occasion. The elevator smelled badly and looked like it had not been cleaned in years. You could see massive dust build-up on the vents.

The outside appearance of the room was pretty bad as well. The whole structure is in desperate need of a cosmetic makeover. The bricks near the elevator on the third floor were cracked too. When you first enter the room, it looks pretty decent. From the distance it looks clean and the walls have a nice coat of paint. The rug was very clean too. However, when you start looking at the corners, the baseboards, and anywhere something comes out of the wall like a vent, light socket, wires, etc, it looks really ugly and dirty. The cleaning staff must just ignore those areas. There was dust build-up in every corner, behind the beds, and all along the ugly wooden baseboards. The cheap wooden furniture also had chips and pieces missing. The room had a nice desk and office chair.

The bathroom was OK. The ceilings are very low around the sink area and the toilet area is pretty small. The wooden doors and paneling make the room look really dumpy. Whoever tried to paint also did a pretty poor and sloppy job. The caulking job around the bathtub and shower was very amateurish. The bathroom did come with a hair dryer, soaps, shampoo, medium-sized towels, coffee maker, glasses, and an iron. There was never any hot water in the shower; it was very lukewarm at best. I did not like that at all. They had free wi-fi, but I did not bring a computer to test it out.

I did appreciate the fact that the room came with a nice-sized refrigerator and microwave. The room was not all bad. I found the beds to be very comfortable and the sheets and pillows very clean. I also liked the large flatscreen television which came with a large variety of television channels to choose from. The programmable AC system worked great, but was slightly noisy at times. The hotel is located near some train tracks, but they never woke me up. There was always plenty of parking spaces.

I was disappointed in the free continental breakfast. They had a waffle maker and nice seating area, but the bread, cereal, and fruit selection was pretty basic and unappetizing. I tried what appeared to be an orange juice-type drink, but it was really bad. I’ve seen worse continental breakfast spreads and it was free, so I cannot complain too much.

This hotel met my basic need for a decent place to stay for a night. I would not want to have a long vacation stay here though. The hotel needs to train their staff to more thoroughly clean the rooms and try to do a better job painting or remodeling areas of the room. Many other hotels would have charged much more than $67.00 per night so I think I saved a lot of money in exchange for some minor inconveniences.

Marc T. Hardekopf

Room Tip: Hold your nose when using the elevator.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank marc1976
Ajit710, Owner at Days Inn Pensacola - Historic Downtown, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Marc1976

Thank you for the extensive feedback. I appreciate the comments and was glad to note that you did find certain items to your liking. I have shared your comments with my housekeeping staff so that we can improve in the areas that were lacking. We are an older property but have some plans to renovate the exterior later this year. Stop back by whenever you return to Pensacola, I am sure you will be impressed.

Regards

FORT LAUDERDALE
Reviewed January 28, 2013

The room was set well away from the reception and water took 20 minutes to get hot. Bedding was old and cover smelled. Apart from that the freight trains will keep you up if the room guests next door dont.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

Ajit710, Owner at Days Inn Pensacola - Historic Downtown, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear Stewart H.

I am sorry to hear that you had a less than satisfactory stay at our establishment recently. I will have to look into why it took 20 minutes for you to get hot water because our boilers are operating properly. Every room at our property is getting a makeover and new carpet is being installed at this moment. Also, we are changing out all of our bedding so if are ever willing to give us another try, I am sure you will find these items to your complete satisfaction. I do apologize if other guests disturbed you but our hotel security does address that promptly whenever they are notified. Once again, I do apologize that everything was not completely satisfactory, and I would they appreciate another opportunity to show you that we can provide you a very pleasant stay.
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed December 15, 2012

I stayed here December 5 - December 8, it was a wonderful stay. The room was very nice and clean, i wish i could've took that mattress home with me, and the staff was very polite and friendly. I had to leave early that Saturday morning to go to the airplane, and the front desk clerk checked me out quickly, she called a taxi for me and she even had the breakfast and fresh coffee ready. So, if you're ever in the area check out this Days Inn, it's also in a great location.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Jallisa S
Dear Jallisa S.

Thank you taking time to provide feedback on your recent stay. My staff and I are very happy to hear that you had a pleasant stay. We do hope that whenever your return to Pensacola, you will stay with us once more. Again, thank you for the feedback.

Regards

Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed December 1, 2012

I stayed here November 1-4 with my boyfriend on our 2 part vacation. The room we had was two doubles,desk,chair,frig,microwave,tv.small but enough space for two people.The room was clean,But the beds are to die for, they were so comfortable! We did hear trains, but to us it wasnt a problem.We went to the beach and it only was a ten minute or so drive. The front desk people were nice,and daily free breakfast which had waffles and juice, coffee and different types of breads and bagels and cereal.Make sure you ask for Alyssa for housekeeping! She is Awesome!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Desirae O
Ajit710, Owner at Days Inn Pensacola - Historic Downtown, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
Dear Desirae O.

My staff and I are very happy to hear that you had an enjoyable stay. We do hope that next time you are in the Pensacola area, you decide to stay with us once again. Thank you very much for the review.

Kind regards