“Good location for Civic center venues”

Pensacola Grand Hotel
Ranked #12 of 65 Hotels in Pensacola
“Good location for Civic center venues”
Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel just accross the street from the civic center. Older hotel, but well done. Did not eat in the restaurant, so cannot comment on that. Staff was very accommodating. Comfortable beds, rooms have refrigerator and coffee.

• Stayed March 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Brooks, Georgia, United States
Reviewed March 19, 2014

I usually stay there once or twice a year to check on family. It's always been great no problems at all. We've always had a corner suite so lots of room to enjoy. I know that the hotel is close to train tracks but I have never heard a train pass by. I'm usually there on weekends. If I was there on business maybe the trains would affect my sleep but so far it has never been an issue.

Room Tip: Stayed there several times while visiting family. Very nice location and facility. We have always ha...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Elba
Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

I stayed in the Crowne Plaza with my husband and young children. This a beautiful historic hotel. I loved all the original decor in the lobby. My kids loved the revolving doors. The hotel is close to downtown activities and businesses. We could see water from our room, but no beach. The room itself was very clean and nicely decorated. I would have loved to give this hotel the highest possible rating, however...There is a serious insulation issue between the rooms. My husband and I were awakened at 2 AM by 2 women who had been out partying all night. We could hear EVERY WORD of their vulgar conversation. They may as well have been in the room with us. This went on for about an hour. That, coupled with a hard bed, meant that we did not rest well before our alarm went off at 7 AM. I would not have stayed a second night in that same room. Although I may return to the hotel, I would not stay in a room with an adjoining door next time. Lesson learned!

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Linda S
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Pensacola Grand Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear Linda S,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the noise levels prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare
Tampa
Reviewed March 8, 2014

My subject line pretty much says it all... I absolutely loved this hotel but got no sleep because of the trains. The hotel itself was beautiful, had historic charm that was out of this world, the beds and pillows were wonderfully comfy, the room and bathroom amenities were gorgeous and clean, and the location was close to the beach and also to nightlife downtown (not that I was there for either of those reasons, but I did note the shops, cafes, and nightlife that was available for other visitors).

The problem was, I was there for work and had to be up at 6am for a training I was leading at the school district office. Unfortunately, I couldn't fall asleep due to the trains that seemed to run non-stop throughout the night. If it were just some chugga-chugga noises, that would have been one thing... I can sleep through that... but, no. It was horn blasting all night right outside of the window and it seemed like it would just never end. Around 3:30am I finally drifted off but I woke up every half hour to hour until 6am thanks to the train blowing and to my own fear that I wouldn't hear my alarm go off. I was a zombie the next morning and felt sick to my stomach from how little sleep I was running on.

That said, it really pains me to give this beautiful gem of a hotel such a mediocre score but the whole reason I was there was to get sleep and to wake up feeling rested before my big presentation and that definitely was not accomplished because of the trains. :-( On a plus note, my shower was phenomenal (GREAT water pressure and plenty of hot water), the staff were fantastic, and the library they have just off the lobby was absolutely perfect for my colleague and I to meet to review plans for our school district visit the night before our big day. Oh, and the price was fantastic! Again, it is just a shame that the trains ruined my stay to the point that I cannot EVER imagine staying there again for fear that I would not be able to sleep again. This really says a lot since I am the HEAVIEST of heavy sleepers. Seriously, I couldn't believe that I, of all people, would be affected by the train horn noise, but it was just so frequent and so loud that there was no tuning it out (and I was on the 14th floor-- I can only imagine how much worse it was on lower floors). I guess I can no longer say that I could "sleep through a freight train" because, clearly, I cannot.

So, while this hotel has the charm of a historic building (I understand it used to be the old train depot... which makes perfect sense now) and was wonderful in just about every way, I can only give it an average rating. So sorry, Crowne Plaza Pensacola Grand. You really are a gem that deserves more. :-(

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank debbiesdreamtrips
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Pensacola Grand Hotel, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Dear debbiesdreamtrips,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the ambient noise levels prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare
Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed March 4, 2014

My wife and I stayed here recently for Valentine's day for one night. First off, the location is fantastic to get to downtown Pensacola and it's also conveniently close to the Emerald City bar in case you want to stagger in late at night. However the serious downfall to the hotel's location is that it is backed up to the railroad tracks. I didn't realize how many trains pass through the night so if you are looking for proper sleep quality, consumer beware because the train will pass by more than you would have thought during the night. Additionally the mattresses are firm and so this supplements the noisy environment surrounding you. So hopefully you either get white girl wasted to sleep peacefully through the night or you don't consider booking this hotel at all. Our Phillips brand television also had issues bringing up the picture. Considering the poor quality of Phillips' ear buds, I wasn't too surprised by this television set. The bathroom was tiny and surprisingly the lights in there didn't light up the shower stall so it felt like I was taking a shower in a mining tavern. I don't expect the lights of a thousand blazing suns to be installed in a hotel bathroom, but it would have been nice to be able to see where my razor was while shaving. Needless to say, as I checked out and took a walk outside I noticed some stray hairs on my way to IHOP because folks, there is NO complimentary breakfast available at this hotel. I do want to give props for your pipes though because the Crowne Plaza has some great water pressure--Robert and Ebert thumbs up for the climactic water pressure.

Room Tip: Go to Margaritaville in Pensacola instead.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Lauren S
Derek H, Director of Sales at Pensacola Grand Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. The train depot, which is on the National Historic Registry is attached to our hotel. It is a beautiful structure with an amazing amount of charm. We hope that you come back and visit. If you do, please ask for a high floor. This way should the train run that night it will cut down on the noise dramatically. Thank you again for staying with us.
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed January 28, 2014

We were visiting friends and stayed here for just one night. Crowne Plaza hotels have a reputation to uphold and this one does a good job is most areas. It is a bit old but they've done a pretty good job bringing it up to date expect they DO NOT have hi-definition television. Stayed in these places from coast to coast but this is the first time I've seen such a bad TV picture in the room. Too bad.

We had a corner room with large windows on both walls but the views on all sides were of the interstate.

Room Tip: Ordered from the breakfast menu and it was pretty good.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank troypowell
We cannot thank you enough for staying with us at the Award Winning Crowne Plaza Pensacola Grand Hotel. The lobby, which is in the historic train depot is indeed something to behold.
We hope to see you again soon.
Alabama
Reviewed January 11, 2014

I stayed here while attending a conference. It was conveniently located next to the civic center, bay, and a cute little shopping-eating district. The interior and outside of this renovated depot is beautifully decorated and carefully restored to capture the feel of a depot.

We stayed in an end room which was huge and lovely with a bank of windows overlooking the bay. We were able to get a late check out easily. We locked ourselves out of the room and the staff took care of it quickly and safely. The food was excellent and the staff, particularly in the lounge where we had dinner. The waitress was helpful and pleasant and could describe the food well.

The only problem was the polar vortex had hit and it was bitter cold and we found it difficult to regulate the temp in our room and the public areas of the hotel, due to the amount of glass, marble, and tile, were cold.

Overall.....I would stay there again. Conference facilities were nice. There were shops in the hotel and it was beautiful.

Room Tip: We stayed in an end room and had the most beautiful view of the bay and one entire wall of windows.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Derek H, Manager at Pensacola Grand Hotel, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Thank you so very much for your review. Your tip for the other traveler's was perfect as
the end rooms are much bigger and offer terrific views. We hope that you're in-town
again soon so that we can show you some more great and real Southern Hospitality.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pensacola
Hampton Inn & Suites Pensacola/Gulf Breeze
Hampton Inn & Suites Pensacola / I-10 Pine Forest Road
Margaritaville Beach Hotel
Margaritaville Beach Hotel
#2 of 10 in Pensacola Beach
Courtyard by Marriott Pensacola Downtown
Holiday Inn Express Pensacola Beach
Holiday Inn Express Pensacola Be...
#1 of 10 in Pensacola Beach
Residence Inn Pensacola Downtown

Been to Pensacola Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!