“Hidden Jewel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 63 Hotels in Pensacola
Tallahassee, Florida
“Hidden Jewel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

No question the place to stay in Pensacola. Everything about this hotel is first class. Adding on to an old train depot adds charm and a feeling of times gone by to the hotel experience. My room had a beautiful view of the bay. This hotel is downtown and close to many restaurants, bars and walking distance to the civic center. I’ll be back!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Stayed in a corner room with plenty of space.
Its true, the trains are noisy but we only heard one about 5am.
The hotel is in a bit of a desolate place but is only about 8 minutes walk from town.and there were plenty of taxis about.
Our room had the usual tea/coffee facilities,hairdryer and iron and board.
The hotel has a nice frontage because it was the old train staion.
We had late night drinks and some food from the bar which was very nice.
If you can, request a front room asthe train track runs the length of the back of the hotel.

Room Tip: Request a room at the front.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Panama City, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

My family and I stayed here for a concert at the civic center across the street. The staff was very friendly and the hotel was beautifully and historically decorated. My only complaint would be about the restaurant. The food was awful and it took 45 minutes after we ordered. We ordered room service later that night and that was wonderful. I suggest going somewhere else to eat, but otherwise I would stay again.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 11th floor, and the view was absolutely stunning.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We stayed here for one night and found it an odd hotel with out a true personality. It is a very large hotel in Pensacola and when we were there it appeared to be deserted. We checked in to 2 rooms- the front desk staff was lovely and very helpful- the lobby was deserted for such a large hotel.

Our rooms were clean and very average.nice size -

The main complaint I have about the hotel is the service in the dining rooms and bar. As I have said, the hotel appeared empty and we still waited for an inordinate amount of time for food and drinks. We had lunch in the bar when we arrived and we had to ask twice to figure out where our food was- there were maybe 3 people sitting at the bar and my family of 6 waiting food. That evening, after an event- about 8 of us went into the bar to get some light food and drinks and were told that we would get better service in the restaurant across the hall- even though, again the bar was not busy.
The restaurant was traditional hotel-like- no atmosphere- but we went there as we were hungry. 2 other tables were there and we waited for 20 minutes for drinks and then another 20 minutes after that for light food. Ridiculous.
Breakfast the next morning was just as bad - the dining room was crowded and there was only 2 servers. At one point, we could not find our server so we asked the only other server where he was and she said he "disappeared".

I would not stay here again- but if you have to- I would make other arrangements for food and drink.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Kelly L
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

I stayed in room 1217 and every night (around 4am) the train rumbles in and makes so much noise (train horns and noise) that you can't sleep. The worst part about it is that the front desk doesn't tell you about it at all and when I approached them, they offered me earbuds. Obviously they are keenly aware of this issue, but choose not to mention it and instead point to a "placard" on the wall that mentions of a train station "in use". They continue to tell me that they have different "levels" of rooms (3 in total I think they mentioned) and it relates to decibel level of the train. I will never come back and I advise you to consider this. I'm not the lightest sleeper, but I am being honest when I tell you that you will not sleep well if you have a room on this side of the hotel. Better to find a different hotel that doesn't have this issue even if it costs a few dollars more .. it's money well spent. At least you will be able to sleep.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms close to the train tracks.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
3 Thank Igal P
Palm City, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

I stayed here two nights (second time staying at this hotel) for business and I love the history and beauty of this hotel, location, and the service was great too. The rooms are nice and cozy and the views are spectacular. HOWEVER...the damn train whistle is just too loud and frequent for me and not condusive to a good night's sleep. I really do love this hotel and I love the Crowne Plaza brand and I gave this hotel two trys but unfortunately I will not be returning to this hotel simply because of the train noise. If it wasn't for that...OMG...It would be FABULOUS.

Room Tip: Well, the best rooms obviously are in the middle away from the train tracks but...BUT...you still do...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Gwopilot
los angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We stayed here for a wedding. Downtown is close, but too far to walk in heels. The room was spacious and the bed was comfy, mini fridge was a nice bonus. Staff is all super friendly. Only complaint is the decor. The hotel is quite dated and could use a facelift. It felt very dark in the lobby.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a view of the gulf.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pensacola
Hampton Inn & Suites Pensacola / I-10 Pine Forest Road
Residence Inn Pensacola Downtown
Courtyard Pensacola Downtown
Courtyard Pensacola Downtown
#22 of 63 in Pensacola
4.0 of 5 stars 151 reviews
Holiday Inn Express Pensacola Beach
Holiday Inn Express Pensacola Be...
#1 of 10 in Pensacola Beach
5.0 of 5 stars 847 reviews
Hampton Inn & Suites Pensacola/Gulf Breeze
Margaritaville Beach Hotel
Margaritaville Beach Hotel
#2 of 10 in Pensacola Beach
4.5 of 5 stars 1,029 reviews

Been to Pensacola Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!