“Beautiful Hotel, Terrible Food.”

Pensacola Grand Hotel
Ranked #12 of 65 Hotels in Pensacola
Reviewed December 14, 2012

My family and I stayed here for a concert at the civic center across the street. The staff was very friendly and the hotel was beautifully and historically decorated. My only complaint would be about the restaurant. The food was awful and it took 45 minutes after we ordered. We ordered room service later that night and that was wonderful. I suggest going somewhere else to eat, but otherwise I would stay again.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 11th floor, and the view was absolutely stunning.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Derek H, sales at Pensacola Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2017

Thank you for the 4 star review! we hope to see you again!

There are newer reviews for Pensacola Grand Hotel

Reviewed November 11, 2012

We stayed here for one night and found it an odd hotel with out a true personality. It is a very large hotel in Pensacola and when we were there it appeared to be deserted. We checked in to 2 rooms- the front desk staff was lovely and very helpful- the lobby was deserted for such a large hotel.

Our rooms were clean and very average.nice size -

The main complaint I have about the hotel is the service in the dining rooms and bar. As I have said, the hotel appeared empty and we still waited for an inordinate amount of time for food and drinks. We had lunch in the bar when we arrived and we had to ask twice to figure out where our food was- there were maybe 3 people sitting at the bar and my family of 6 waiting food. That evening, after an event- about 8 of us went into the bar to get some light food and drinks and were told that we would get better service in the restaurant across the hall- even though, again the bar was not busy.
The restaurant was traditional hotel-like- no atmosphere- but we went there as we were hungry. 2 other tables were there and we waited for 20 minutes for drinks and then another 20 minutes after that for light food. Ridiculous.
Breakfast the next morning was just as bad - the dining room was crowded and there was only 2 servers. At one point, we could not find our server so we asked the only other server where he was and she said he "disappeared".

I would not stay here again- but if you have to- I would make other arrangements for food and drink.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Kelly L
Derek H, sales at Pensacola Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2017

We thank you for your three star view and choosing to join us in the heart of the historic location.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

I stayed in room 1217 and every night (around 4am) the train rumbles in and makes so much noise (train horns and noise) that you can't sleep. The worst part about it is that the front desk doesn't tell you about it at all and when I approached them, they offered me earbuds. Obviously they are keenly aware of this issue, but choose not to mention it and instead point to a "placard" on the wall that mentions of a train station "in use". They continue to tell me that they have different "levels" of rooms (3 in total I think they mentioned) and it relates to decibel level of the train. I will never come back and I advise you to consider this. I'm not the lightest sleeper, but I am being honest when I tell you that you will not sleep well if you have a room on this side of the hotel. Better to find a different hotel that doesn't have this issue even if it costs a few dollars more .. it's money well spent. At least you will be able to sleep.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms close to the train tracks.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Igal P

We apologize for the negative experience with us. It is noted on our website along with other sources that this facility was once a train depot station here in the heart of the historical district. Contact us if need be so that we may bring a resolution to this unpleasant stay.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

I stayed here two nights (second time staying at this hotel) for business and I love the history and beauty of this hotel, location, and the service was great too. The rooms are nice and cozy and the views are spectacular. HOWEVER...the damn train whistle is just too loud and frequent for me and not condusive to a good night's sleep. I really do love this hotel and I love the Crowne Plaza brand and I gave this hotel two trys but unfortunately I will not be returning to this hotel simply because of the train noise. If it wasn't for that...OMG...It would be FABULOUS.

Room Tip: Well, the best rooms obviously are in the middle away from the train tracks but...BUT...you still do...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Gwopilot

Thank you for the 4 star review! we hope to see you again!

Reviewed October 8, 2012

We stayed here for a wedding. Downtown is close, but too far to walk in heels. The room was spacious and the bed was comfy, mini fridge was a nice bonus. Staff is all super friendly. Only complaint is the decor. The hotel is quite dated and could use a facelift. It felt very dark in the lobby.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a view of the gulf.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed October 4, 2012 via mobile

I was a guest at the Crowned Plaza for one night while in town for a conference, also held at the hotel.

This property is gorgeous. I loved the historic quality of the hotel. The lobby is beautiful. The historic photos are very interesting. The guest rooms are very nice.

Now for the negative, and for a traveling woman who needs her sleep, this is a big negative. The hotel is sandwiched between I-110 and an active rail line. See photos. I don't mean that these two features are blocks away. They are right adjacent to the hotel. At about 9 pm I was sitting in my room enjoying television when a train rolled through. OMG. The noise shook the windows on the 10th floor and the whistle was incredibly loud. This happened twice during the night and again at 5 am, at which time I gave up on sleep. When the first train came through at 9 I went to the desk to ask about the train schedule. The desk clerk was not aware of the schedule but did offer handy-dandy ear plugs.

Not getting sleep is a big deal for me, especially when I'm traveling for work and especially when I've paid a ridiculous amount of money to not sleep.

Again, gorgeous hotel, but maybe just visit to look at the photos and get a room at someplace WAY on the other side of the tracks.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank anybeach4me

Reviewed October 2, 2012

This was my first stay at the Pensacola Grand. I had wanted to all my life and finally decided to since my wife and I were going to a concert at the Civic Center next door I decided that it would be a nice treat to stay there after the concert.

Check in was quick and easy and the staff was friendly. We got to our room later that night because we were running late for the concert. We had a room on the ninth floor and as soon as we exited the elevator the smell of cigarette smoke immediately hit you. This made me very nervous about the room because I am extremely allergic to the smell of cigarette smoke. When we got to the room the smell wasn't quite as bad inside the room as long as the A/C was running. The moment the A/C stopped running you could smell the smoke again. So we just set the A/C lower then we would normally have liked just to keep the smell out of the room so we wouldn't get sick.

Ended up having to call the front desk due to noisy neighbors that were having a party in their room at 1AM. Security came up quickly and addressed the issue.

The bed and pillows are definitely not the most comfortable. This seems to be a general problem with Crowne Plaza hotels that I've stayed in.

The room was spacious enough and included a flat screen TV. The view overlooking the Civic Center and downtown was nice but would definitely like to try an even higher floor to get the full view.

Room service was decent (although 2.25 for a 12oz can Coke is WAY too high). Food was hot and fresh even at 11:00PM and the food was delivered quickly.

Overall it was a decent hotel. Not sure if I would stay again or not. Would definitely need a room that didn't smell like smoke.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor facing downtown for the best view.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Pensacola Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

Dear bishoparc,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. I am so glad you liked the friendliness of our staff. Your comments encourages our team members to work even harder and consistently delight our guests. Please allow me apologize for the issues you had with your room accommodations and any inconvenience may have caused you. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class service. For that reason, the comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into. Thank you for staying with us and we hope you give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pensacola
Hampton Inn & Suites Pensacola/Gulf Breeze
Courtyard by Marriott Pensacola Downtown
Hampton Inn Pensacola Beach
Hampton Inn Pensacola Beach
#6 of 10 in Pensacola Beach

Been to Pensacola Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!