“Recommended”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Satellite Beach, Florida
“Recommended”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I had a good experience at this hotel. It appears to be well kept. The grounds, the lobby, the hallways and the rooms were all clean and appealing. The King room we had was spacious with a sitting area. It came with a mini-fridge which was not mentioned when I booked on Hotwire, so that was a nice surprise. The complimentary wireless internet connection worked fine. All of the front desk clerks were very friendly - greeting us everytime we entered and left the hotel. The woman who both checked us in and out was especially warm and friendly and very efficient.

We did not use the restaurant but I noticed that at 7:30pm on a Saturday night there was only 1 couple in the restaurant and about 6 people in the bar. So while I can't speak to the food first hand, I'm guessing the food isn't good enough to warrant local patrons.

I thought the location was fine for our purposes. Although there isn't a whole lot in the area, the hotel is at the intersection of I10 and 110 - making it convenient to get to most places in town.

There are a couple of things that I was a little disappointed in...
1) Although it was a non-smoking hotel, my room did faintly smell of smoke that was attempted to be covered up. It wasn't bad enough to make me request a different room but it made the room less appealing to me.
2) I had wished that the thermostat had a setting to run the fan only on the airconditioning/heating unit. The room was uncomfortable stuffy when the unit wasn't running but for the most part the temperature remained just right without heat or air. So I had to keep alternating between heat and air during the night in order the keep air flowing.
3) The towels weren't horrible but they weren't great either - not soft and a little thin.
4) Our room came with a roomy walk-in shower but it had mediocre water pressure and I would have preferred a shower/tub combo. (although I don't know - some rooms might have tubs)

All in all, it was a good experience and I would go back if the price was right.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank catlauren

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Washington Dc
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We meaning my family found it to be a very pleasant and accomodating place to be. Being their on an assignment for the weekend was great. We found the entire staff to be most helpful, courteous and respectful. One one night we needed additional towels and the service providers came without delay. The buffet breakfast bar (for a fee) was also nice, it had a variety of items to choose from. I was able to use their computer area to print some docs though it was a little messy, not due to the hotel, but people using it and not cleaning up after themselves. Over all experience in reference to everything: PRICELESS. We will be returning!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank SHETHATTRAVELS
Tampa
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel several times and have always felt comfortable. The hotel is clean, well kept and has a courteous staff. My recent stay was the week of September 17 and the week of September 24 and everything was great.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank dpaul76
Ely, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

This is a pretty good hotel. Not the greatest location, but the hotel itself is nice. Advertised as a smoke free hotel, which it is on the whole, but smoking is allowed in the pool area, which kind of spoilt it a little.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Mattbradney
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 5, 2012

My reservation was for two nights (Sat & Sun) during the Labor Day’12 wknd. I checked in around 1030p and was pleasantly surprised to learn my King Room was upgraded to a King Suite. In full disclosure, I later found out that Mgmt was unable to sell the room at rate and I just so happened to be the lucky guest to benefit from it. Anyway, check-in was smooth and the front desk clerk was very helpful (I believe his name was Donald). The suite was spacious, clean and well lit. The only (major?) drawback was the constant ‘damp’ smell coming from the A/C unit. I think I stayed in the room for about an hour before requesting a down grade to my original reservation. The front desk clerk understood and was more than willing to grant my request. Unfortunately, the second room also had the damp smell, although it wasn’t as overwhelming. Figuring these weren’t isolated instances I resigned to the idea of a smell free room, turned off the A/C and called it a night. For the record the damp smell returned every time the A/C was turned on and never went away.
Aside from the above, the only other complaint I have is that the breakfast buffet was not offered on Labor Day Monday. Apparently the buffet is only offered on the weekends. Certainly this makes sense for a normal wknd but I think consideration should be given to offering the buffet on Holiday Monday’s. I’m confident guests would appreciate the extra buffet day and I know this b/c I witnessed first-hand the look of dismay when two couples learned there wasn’t one that morning.
All in all, it was a pleasant experience and if I were ever in the area again, I would certainly consider staying at this location.
-K.Brooks

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank TKBrooks
HolidayInn-Pensacola, General Manager at Holiday Inn Pensacola - University Area, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear K.Brooks, We appreciate your time sharing experience at Holiday Inn Pensacola N Davis Hwy. On behalf of entire management team I am sorry for the inconvenient that caused during your stay.
Sincerely yours,
Mike Desai
Helena, AL
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Our room was beautifully furnished with a very comfortable bed, and was extremely clean. The restaurant food was, at best, mediocre, but the coffee was great and the restaurant staff provided good service. The front desk staff has a lot to learn about southern hospitality. Our request for a room change was denied, although the hotel was obviously not full. It was like pulling teeth to get information about the area, and no helpful brochures were provided. If nothing else, it would have been great to be referred to Pensacola's excellent visitor center, which we found it by accident. There we were provided with local maps, information, guidance, recommendations...in short, all the things we usually expect from front desk staff at a quality hotel. We may stay there again - it WAS very clean and comfortable. But next time we'll know what to expect - and what not to expect.

Room Tip: Don't expect to be able to change your room type if you book through Priceline
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, IHGCare at Holiday Inn Pensacola - University Area, responded to this review, August 4, 2012
Dear SmithandHeart,

Thank you for taking time to write a review of our hotel. I am glad you found our room accommodations commendable. Please accept my sincerest apology for any inconvenience the front desk staff may have caused during your stay. I will follow up with the front desk staff to ensure similar incidents won't happen again.

Again, I do apologize and regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel. We hope to have the opportunity of hosting you again should your travels bring you back to Florida.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed July 15, 2012

I almost always stay in Holiday Inns for small town travel so when I got this one on Hotwire, I thought it was fine. I even added a night. The price wasn't super cheap. Two nights for 230+. First, not in a nice area. There is a fence around the parking lot, and with good reason. It is a very shady area, and felt like my car could get broken into. The rooms were not cleaned to holiday inn standard. First impression was food on the main light switch, how would housekeeping miss this? Add hair all over the bathroom, and the same chocolate food behind the bed on the wall. I was not impressed and annoyed I even paid as much as I did for this room. Skip this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank molassesoc
HolidayInn-Pensacola, General Manager at Holiday Inn Pensacola - University Area, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Thank you for your time sharing your experience with us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas, and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

I would like to get more information on your reservation, please email me at guestrelations@holidayinnpns.com.

Regarding Fencing around the hotel is an extra security for our guests, and also we have armed security whole night as well. We don’t compromise when it comes to Safety and security for our guests as well as service are out first priority.…

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us.

Regards,