“Not a bad place for Greek Dining!: I thought this was a pretty all around dining experience. The food was probably the...”

Founaris Bros. Greek Restaurant
Ranked #148 of 670 Restaurants in Pensacola
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed August 24, 2008

Not a bad place for Greek Dining!: I thought this was a pretty all around dining experience. The food was probably the best found in Pensacola for Greek. Although it likes being authentic. The grape leaves like some to be desired. Mostly the food is good.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook

pensacola
“Yummy Gyros...”
Reviewed February 6, 2008

The atmosphere is very casual. It almost feels as if it isn't really a restaurant at all...except for the mouth-watering aroma coming from the kitchen you can see into. Seating and eating utensils are all very casual...it's like good home-cooking. It's nothing fancy, but the food speaks for itself. Price range is about
$6-20. The gyro plate is a must-try along with an extra order or warm pita bread. The pizza is also the best in town...homemade to your specifications. Just remember that a small is actually more like a medium, and the large size is an XX-tra large pie. They want to make sure you're fed!

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Really good!”
Reviewed December 10, 2007

Really good!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Florida
“Lacked the flair we expected”
Reviewed April 7, 2007

My spouse and I both love Greek food, so we were pleased to hear about Founaris Bros. in Pensacola. Unfortunately, we were less than thrilled with the rather ordinary food, presentation, and facility.

I understand that Founaris Bros. has been out of business for several months, and has recently been re-opened by new owners in a new location, under the mentorship of the previous owner. That said, I can guess that the new owners are playing it safe. It comes across as a bit dull.

The restaurant is housed in and old Howard Johnson's restaurant, near a motel. That's not a problem, but the booths really need updating. Vinyl-covered tables are okay, but when the vinyl is ripped or torn, it needs to be replaced. Both my spouse and I sunk down in the booth seats. Near the end of our meal, when someone sat in the booth behind me, I realized that our shared back was wobbly. Every time the other diner leaned back, I was scrunched forward. It was pretty uncomfortable.

The menu is extensive, with a mix of Greek and Italian dishes. We stayed on the Greek side of the menu. My spouse ordered Moussaka, which is a casserole with ground beef, eggplant, and potatoes. It came with garlic bread and a salad. I can't recall the Greek name of my entree, but it was basically a chicken gyro (meat, veggies, sauce, etc. in a rolled pita-style bread) with a calamari appetizer.

My spouse's salad was a traditional tossed salad, not the Greek salad she had hoped for. Later on the menu we noticed that Greek salad (olives, feta, etc.) had to be specially ordered, and costs $1.25 extra. It seems that a Greek restaurant would automatically offer Greek salad, and a customer would have to special-order the tossed salad. My calamari (fried squid rings) arrived, and it appeared to be "industrial" breaded and frozen. This was disappointing. Fresh calamari takes so little time and effort to prepare.

Our entrees followed the same pattern. The Moussaka was bland, and it was really hard to find the ground beef. My chicken gyro contained grilled chicken, iceberg lettuce, tomato, onions, and just a dab of sauce. There was no feta cheese, no black olives, nothing like that. I expect more from a $7 gyro ! (Actually, I expect more from a $4 gyro from a street vendor.) Sure enough, when I looked at the menu later, I saw that I needed to order feta cheese (50 cents) and extra sauce (50 cents.)

Most of the other diners were eating "Greek Pizza" (?) which appeared to be prepared in a more generous fashion. Or maybe they were experienced diners, and know how to "work" the menu.

Our bill, with iced tea, tax, and tip, was over $30. We got plenty to eat, but didn't get that Greek food experience we were hoping for.

If I return to Founaris Bros., I'll skip the Greek side of the menu, and go for the Greek Pizza instead. But with so many other restaurants out there, I probably won't be back.