“Good place to stay”

Best Western Plus Blue Angel Inn
Ranked #5 of 65 Hotels in Pensacola
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 7, 2011

Clean and comfortable--restaurants nearby. Had good stay here.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank wiggygailTX
There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus Blue Angel Inn

Reviewed July 6, 2011

We chose this hotel due to its close proximity to I-10. (I almost booked a room at a local hotel in town, but chickened out and decided to stick with a name I knew and thought I could trust.) What I didn't realize is that this is a franchise, so the Best Western name didn't really mean anything. When we arrived just past 3 PM, we thought the place looked nice. The lobby and room were pleasant. We dislike ground floor rooms, so always request an upper floor if possible. We were given a room on the 3rd (top) floor. Unfortunately, as soon as the elevator opened we could smell smoke very strongly. The hallway reeked! We went on to our room, noting that although it was signed as non-smoking, the 5 closest rooms (the one across from us, as well as those on either side and the rooms across from them) were smoking rooms. Upon entering the room, we found it smelled like air freshener. At that point we didn't smell smoke, so decided they must be good at keeping it out of the actual room. We quickly dropped off our stuff and left to go see the Naval museum since it closed at 5 PM. It's a bit of a drive out there, although I don't think there are many closer options. We stayed on the base a while, since we found a great swimming spot across the road from the museum (down behind the lighthouse).

AS we returned to the hotel just after 6 PM, we found that our room now smelled like smoke. We immediately went back down to the front desk (checking the 2nd floor on the way to see if it had smoking rooms - it didn't). We let the front desk employee know of the problem, and requested another room. She said the hotel was sold out, so we couldn't move. She acknowledged that no matter what housekeeping did, they weren't ever able to get the smell out of the hallway. She said the non-smoking rooms were usually fine. Her "solution" was to give us a can of air freshener that she pulled out from behind the desk, and suggested we put a towel against the bottom of the door. We went back up and tried. It soon became apparent that trying to cover it up wasn't working. So we looked online for another hotel, and found that the Holiday Inn was a non-smoking hotel. We packed our things and went to check out.

The front desk employee informed us that she couldn't give us a refund, and that the assistant manager, Chrystale, was the only one who could, but wouldn't be there until Monday (our stay was intended to be a Saturday night). I asked to leave a message for her, but was told that she didn't have voice mail. I noticed another business card listed Melissa as the general manager, so asked about her. The employee seemed reluctant, but said she did have voice mail (she also said something to the effect of "who knows when she'll check her messages though"). I didn't want to leave without this settled, so called from the parking lot and asked to be transfered. I left a message explaining the issue. We then proceeded to the Holiday Inn.

I never heard back from Melissa, and the room was charged to our credit card. I called Best Western's customer service the following week and was told that since it's a franchise, they do their own billing. I then called the hotel directly and talked to Melissa, who answered. She said that we'd occupied the room, so I could get no refund. She was actually quite rude. This started many attempts to get the situation resolved. I spoke with Best Western several times. They called the location themselves, but only got them to credit us back $11.15, which brought our charge down to the lowest room rate of that night. Later, Best Western offered me a $25 gift card to their chain. I declined, as I don't plan to stay at one again! The reps I spoke with were sympathetic, but basically said their hands were tied. The supervisor did offer to call Melissa again and get her to give us a $25 credit on the bill (in lieu of the gift card). The supervisor then told me the only other suggestion she had was to contact the Better Business Bureau. I went through that process, but they couldn't help since we'd been in the room. However, in the process, I discovered that in addition to lacking in customer service, Melissa is also blatantly dishonest. Her responses to the BBB representative proved this. For example, she stated "This guest has already gotten a $50 credit and for the complaint they checked in the room before 3pm and did not come back to the front desk till 9pm wanted to check out. We cannot refund anyone aftering having the room that long..if they would of complained even a couple of hours later we would have." She completely made up the part about the $50 credit, as all that showed up on the credit card (and it has been a couple of weeks) was the $11.15+$25 that Best Western had arranged for us to get. She also lied about the times, as I explained earlier. We had come down the desk with the concern immediately upon arriving back at the hotel, and then tried the staff's suggestion before leaving. (Perhaps we are being punished for being willing to try their "solution", thus spending more time in the room?) I even called Holiday Inn to check our arrival time there. They have it in their records that we checked in at 7:23 PM, when Melissa is saying we didn't even come down until 9 PM. At some point she told the BBB that she was not going to waste any more time with us or respond to any more complaints. She also stated that we apparently used the room for what we wanted and left, and wanted a refund. We are from WA state, and just wanted a place to sleep! We had to pay for that elsewhere. We had no reason to make anything up. We just don't want to pay for 2 rooms for the same night. Dealing wih this situation was extremely frustrating, as I have never interacted with someone in a business setting who had such horrible customer service and clearly did not care about us or our concern. I overlooked a couple of really bad reviews on TripAdvisor because the interactions seemed too extreme to be true, but now I wonder... Melissa was willing to lie to the BBB, so probably she's willing to lie in her responses here... The only other comment about smoke (on TripAdvisor) was from 2008, in which the guest wrote that the next day they and their belongings smelled like it. I assumed this must have been taken care of, but was wrong.

Final comment: if you must stay here & prefer a non-smoking room, definitely request the 2nd floor!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
8  Thank civil23
blueangelinn, General Manager at Best Western Plus Blue Angel Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2011

Let me start by saying that I am not dishonest in anyway and dont appreciate the slander from this person when they dont know me. Our hotel has been open for 4 1/2 years and we take great pride in keeping it clean and offering great customer service. If you look at the reviews on all sites it shows. This guest had the room for four hours and then wanted a refund, We were sold out and couldn't move the guest but you would think if it smelled of smoke they would of known after 4 hours. This guest has tried all means to get a refund and Best Western, Better Business Bureau and the hotel have all came to the same decision of no further refunds for this guest. Its great to see reviews so that way if there is a problem we can address it but in this case we don't feel there was a problem and that it shouldnt take someone 4 hours to decide they want to check out after they use the room.
Melissa--GM

Reviewed June 24, 2011

The hotel is beautiful! Lots of parking, free wi-fi, and conveniently located, near food and shopping. The rooms are clean and the staff is very friendly!! I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank moonearthgoddess
Reviewed June 14, 2011

nice place to stay. the rooms are really big. everything was quite new and well done. the parking and fast wi-fi are free. there are lots of restaurants and shops within the 3 mile radius.
not a very big place, only 4 floors. the bed was very comfortable and it was quiet. the room had a fridge and a microwave.
the only down side was the maid service. they only cleaned my room once during my 4 night stay, however this may be due to the fact that i was sleeping most mornings and didnt remove the "do not disturb" tab until noon or 1pm every day.
another thing is that the hotel is about a 30 minute drive from the beaches which wasnt a problem for me but may be for others.
overall i greatly recommend this place

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 8, 2011

Traveled to Florida from Texas and was returning home on Feb 26, 2011. This hotel was enjoyable, clean, and the staff was courteous friendly. It is easily accessed from nearby IH-10 and affordably priced as well.
Unlike my poor experience at another hotel chain a few days before when traveling eastward from Texas, this stay was enjoyable and I would stay again.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed February 15, 2011

This hotel is WONDERFUL! I usually stay at well-reviewed Best Westerns or Hampton Inns due to their consistent high quality.
We ended up here due to a MISTAKE!! We drove over (same exit) to the Quality Inn and decided to stay there since it was walking distance to a restaurant. BAD MISTAKE! that motel had people hanging out in the parking lot and knocking on our doors.....and was poorly lit.
I called this BEST WESTERN BLUE ANGEL and asked if we could come over (at 8:00p.m.) and they were most helpful. We drove over right away and the parking lot was WELL lit, the lobby was SO nice.....the rooms were WONDERFUL!!
Beds were very very comfortable.....breakfast great.....staff most helpful, even later at night.......

Would DEFINITELY stay here again and if we end up vacationing in the Pensacola area, I wouldn't hesitate to book here!!!!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank txtraveler077
Reviewed January 20, 2011

(You know that satisfying feeling that you get when you realize you made a good choice?)

I had hoped to find this hotel on my own, on local roads, but we found ourselves in a downtown area with several one-way streets….a phone call to the hotel provided the “heeelp!!” I needed but it involved I-10. Oh well. Was hoping to have easy downtown directions. The hotel is just off of exit #7, which was handy for our trip home, as we used interstates 10 and 75 to get home. (We had used coastal roads all along the way to Pensacola; great trip!)
The front desk staff continued to be pleasant and helpful throughout our stay. They provided copies of maps to the places we asked about, and gave helpful information and opinions about nearby eating establishments. The breakfast room attendant was also friendly and efficient. Our room was on the first floor near the business center, and the “only” complaint I have is that computer use was obviously not monitored on our first night (noisy kids). Just as we decided to contact the front desk, all went quiet again.
Nearby restaurants and grocery, small convenience store in lobby.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple