“Fantabulous”

Marina Oyster Barn
Ranked #92 of 698 Restaurants in Pensacola
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed May 6, 2009

Beautiful view on Bayou Texar. We were made to feel welcome from the time we walked in the door until we finished our banana pudding and paid our bill. Food was fresh and perfectly cooked. Raw oysters were out of this world. Servers were so nice and helpful recommending meals. Did I mention how GOOD the raw oysters were?? I wouks recommend everyone try this restaurant for themselves and form their own opinion. Oh yeah ---you have got to try the oysters!!!!!! My final word----FANTABULOUS

Reviewed November 26, 2008

Don't get me wrong, it was not terrible. While it was not like prison food, the folks working there did have the bored and desprate look of inmates. This is a place where they are going through the motions, but have lost the zest for excellence that a good place must have. The oysters were good, probably from the Fla. panhandle. The tip off was how fast they came out after we ordered them. You guessed it, shucked and put on a tray and stashed in the cooler until someone ordered oysters. The rest of the meal was ok, but nothing better than you'd find in any Red Lobster anywhere. The shrimp were suspiciously uniform in size and batter (like out of a box and into a fryer).
Let's hope these folks can relight the fire that gave this place a good reputation in the past.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Cumming, Georgia
Reviewed June 24, 2008

Its hidden and only locals know about it. The seafood is delicious, not pricy either. I get oyster stew and fried shrimp...

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed March 9, 2008

For 25 years, this was my favorite spot for artery clogging but heaven to taste beer battered shrimp. You can still make up your own cocktail sauce with fixins on the table. However, the food has changed. I took friends from out of town there last week for a treat and felt let down instead. The shrimp were greasy, the breading was not uniform. One person's flounder had a fishy aroma and he turned it back. (Tip: if you're eating seafood in Pensacola, your fresh shrimp, grouper, snapper and flounder should have no fishy smell or flavor at all. If it does, send it back. Tuna, mahi mahi and amberjack are tasty but have an inate strength of flavor even when fresh.) The cheese grits and hushpuppies were thin and slimy in the first part and hard and greasy in the second part. The cole slaw there has never been special but this night's serving was below mediocre. Our server was sweet and earnest but wasn't always available for tea refills or extra sweet & lo. She did try to rescue our experience by removing the flounder entree from our bill, but that only made a disappointing experience cost less. I'll try the place once more on my own in hopes that this was an off night for undisclosed reasons but repeat disappointment will cross this once unique eatery off my list forever.

Reviewed March 4, 2008

I live in Pensacola and eat lunch and dinner here at least once a week and have never been disappointed. The food is simple, the range is limited, but what they do, they do superbly. Their oysters, shrimp and especially grouper are beyond compare. Try a grilled grouper sandwich with fries and slaw, and watch the mullet jumping in the water outside while you eat. Quite a lot of what is called 'grouper' on a menu is some other related fish, but this is the real McCoy.