“Terrific”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Lunch
Dining options: Lunch
Reviewed March 14, 2010

I live 50 miles away and look for any excuse to go to Pensacola so I can go to Taco Rock. I have been to Taco Rock at least 20 times and it is always good. My favorite is the Carnitas taco on flour tortilla with everything, including a side of guac. They take slow-cooked pork and put it on the grill and make it a little crisp. Then they put onions, cilantro, cheese, and L&T on a flour tortilla and give you a wonderful fresh salsa. I add the excellent guacamole and just groan with pleasure when I bite into it. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. They also have excellent cheese enchiladas. I have tried the al pastor tacos and the steak tacos and they are fine, but can not match the crisp carnitas. You can get flour, soft corn, or crisp corn tortilla. The soft corn were not for me. The flour tortilla was perfect. GO! NOW! ENJOY! They close at 3 pm, I think.

1  Thank PorkyPig6

Reviewed December 28, 2009

If you are looking for REAL authentic Mexican food, this is it!! It is owned by a family from Mexico City and even though one previous review was from someone who "knew" real mexican, Tex-Mex belongs exactly where it came from...Texas. This place is small and would not be recommended for a large party, and it is not a "date place", if you have been to the small Taquerias in Mexico, and yes, Texas, you know instantly what this place is!! The tacos are served exactly as is traditional, and I can attest that the chips are homeade and that all food is fresh and cooked in front of you. They have a pretty good selection and will dress any dish as you like. Some of the dishes are unique, such as the P-cola Burrito, which contains fish and shrimp. The service is good and although the cashier and owners may seem short at times, it is usually when they are busy. It is most definitlely not "fancy" by any means, but if you can get past that superficial aspect, go in for the food, especially for the al pastor!!!

Reviewed December 2, 2009

Well, I've lived in Texas most of my life so I know traditional Mexican food. Taco Rock get's close enough. After moving to Pensacola and desperately seeking authentic traditional Mexican tacos, I happened to come across this little hole in the wall on a tour of the city. Unfortunately, the "restaurant" itself is more like a lunch wagon, barely large enough to seat it's customers. The tacos al carbon, y de lengua are my favorite. They are made in the traditional style of cubed pork and beef tongue cooked with spice and served on corn tortillas with onion, cilantro, and salsa on the side. Their chipotle seasoning was not spicy, so that was my first indicator that they were not serving to a complete traditional palette. Also, everything was over priced by about a buck or two. 2.75 for one taco is highway robbery, and although they are good, they are not great. The tacos de lengua, or beef tongue were also not as tender or flavorful, leading me to believe the meat may not have been the freshest available. Another thing to mention was the amount of grease on all my tacos was overwhelming. I've never had greasier tacos in my entire life, and real authentic Mexican cooking actually has very little grease. I cannot vouch for much else on the menu outside of Tacos, but if that's what you're interested in at a place called Taco Rock, then you may be disappointed. The atmosphere inside is not inviting, and the times I've visited, I always chose to take my orders to go. I am an avid traditional Mexican taco eater and continue to go here because in Pensacola this is the best I've found as far. I also am sad to report that they do not take kindly to gringo's or white people, as I speak conversational spanish and was disappointed to hear them mocking my appetite for Mexican cuisine. They do not know my background, and the cashier and cook were joking around that I was 'sticking out like a sore thumb' , to say it kindly. They have a drive through at Taco Rock, but in Texas, using a drive through to get your tacos is like going to a steak house that doesn't cook the steak the way you like it, It just isn't done. I'd give the store a 5/10 simply because they actually prepare their food in a traditional sense, and it's not too bad if you're a taco fan. Don't bring any dates here, and don't stop in if you're looking for a Mexican lunch in general. You don't have to worry about dinner, because they close at 3pm! This place is reserved for the work force lunch rush, and traditional taco fans on the go.

Reviewed March 1, 2009

I have eaten Mexican food from far and wide and Taco Rock ranks right up there with the best. The owners are very pleasant and the food is unbelievable. I go there as often as I can.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook