“So So, or/o asi asi”

Dining options: Lunch
Pensacola
“So So, or/o asi asi”
Reviewed December 2, 2009

Well, I've lived in Texas most of my life so I know traditional Mexican food. Taco Rock get's close enough. After moving to Pensacola and desperately seeking authentic traditional Mexican tacos, I happened to come across this little hole in the wall on a tour of the city. Unfortunately, the "restaurant" itself is more like a lunch wagon, barely large enough to seat it's customers. The tacos al carbon, y de lengua are my favorite. They are made in the traditional style of cubed pork and beef tongue cooked with spice and served on corn tortillas with onion, cilantro, and salsa on the side. Their chipotle seasoning was not spicy, so that was my first indicator that they were not serving to a complete traditional palette. Also, everything was over priced by about a buck or two. 2.75 for one taco is highway robbery, and although they are good, they are not great. The tacos de lengua, or beef tongue were also not as tender or flavorful, leading me to believe the meat may not have been the freshest available. Another thing to mention was the amount of grease on all my tacos was overwhelming. I've never had greasier tacos in my entire life, and real authentic Mexican cooking actually has very little grease. I cannot vouch for much else on the menu outside of Tacos, but if that's what you're interested in at a place called Taco Rock, then you may be disappointed. The atmosphere inside is not inviting, and the times I've visited, I always chose to take my orders to go. I am an avid traditional Mexican taco eater and continue to go here because in Pensacola this is the best I've found as far. I also am sad to report that they do not take kindly to gringo's or white people, as I speak conversational spanish and was disappointed to hear them mocking my appetite for Mexican cuisine. They do not know my background, and the cashier and cook were joking around that I was 'sticking out like a sore thumb' , to say it kindly. They have a drive through at Taco Rock, but in Texas, using a drive through to get your tacos is like going to a steak house that doesn't cook the steak the way you like it, It just isn't done. I'd give the store a 5/10 simply because they actually prepare their food in a traditional sense, and it's not too bad if you're a taco fan. Don't bring any dates here, and don't stop in if you're looking for a Mexican lunch in general. You don't have to worry about dinner, because they close at 3pm! This place is reserved for the work force lunch rush, and traditional taco fans on the go.

pensacola florida
“Absolute best Mexican food in Pensacola!!”
Reviewed March 1, 2009

I have eaten Mexican food from far and wide and Taco Rock ranks right up there with the best. The owners are very pleasant and the food is unbelievable. I go there as often as I can.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Used to go all the time”
Reviewed November 21, 2007