“Yes! I'm going back.”

Cuisines: Deli
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch
Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

On a recent visit from NC we were told we needed to go and were taken by someone in the area. Owner is a real friendly gentlemen who obviously loves his place, regulars, and visitors. Chatted for a while and explained everything on the menu. Note they are ONLY cash but if you know in advance no issues there. Food portions are large, quality is excellent, and ambience of naval decor/history is amazing. Menu items listed by the pound so many items can be shared/ split. The Greek gyros are a MUST! All three ordered the same. Son ordered without veggies and owner added extra meat to compensate. Side basket of fries for group came with order. Told could get refills of fries and drinks at no extra charge. Excellent unsweetened tea and homemade lemonade. Paid less than $27 for three people, everyone enjoyed and was full. Hope to go again before we leave town.

Reviewed March 19, 2014

My boyfriend and I have been here twice for lunch on Saturdays and it's awesome! He got the pastrami and is obsessed! I got a club one time and a grilled cheese one time - both great. Next time, I'm going for the Italian pita. Chris is a little matter-of-fact about the order taking, but I don't think he means to be unfriendly - he's busy! And for some reason, he did not charge me for my food last time - he just said "Okay Mr. Rick, there's no charge for her grilled cheese and your total is..." Not sure why, but pretty cool! We love hole-in-the-wall kind of places and Hip Pocket is a perfect example of why.

Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

I have never been here before. And I was very excited to try this place. It had wonderful reviews. And my husband said it was very good. I went in to pick up some sandwiches for my husband and I. The gentleman that took my order was not very friendly. He seemed very annoyed with me and with what I was ordering. After I paid, I went to the side and waited for my order. Other customers started to come in. And the same guy, was very friendly to them. Told them a history of the deli and explained the whole menu to them. And how he can spilt sandwiches for them. And told them what the specials were for that day. The gentleman did not tell me any of that. I would have gotten the special.. if I had known about it. The lady who gave me my order seemed very sweet and nice.
The Gyro was very good. A bit salty and garlicky. But still very good. My husband had the philly steak. It was okay. The meat was very dry. and just tasted like A1 sauce. But it was HUGE sub.
Honestly, I wouldn't go back just for the service I had received from the guy.

Reviewed January 15, 2014

You must try "the cake" on Thursday. Incredible. You'll never forget it. The deli calzone is enough for 4 people (but you must order before 9 a.m.). The gyros are wonderful as is the chicken pita. Chris is (usually) friendly and nice. Anything you get here will be good. Interesting Navy decor. Cash only.

Reviewed December 21, 2013

Very friendly! Food very affordable, sizes tremendous! Desserts amazing! Loved the coconut cake. MUST call ahead for calzone and 5 lb.meatball sandwich. You can park on either side of restaurant and enter on either side.CASH ONLY!