“Large Portions, Great Beer”

McGuire's Irish Pub & Brewery
Ranked #4 of 670 Restaurants in Pensacola
Cuisines: Irish, Steakhouse
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Description: McGuire's Irish Pub first opened in 1977 as a small neighborhood pub in a shopping center. In 1982 McGuire's moves to its current location; Pensacola's original 1927 Old Firehouse. Inside the pub you'll find a turn-of-the-century, New York Irish Saloon themed 615-seat restaurant. We are celebrated for our atmosphere boasting more than One Million signed dollar bills hanging from the ceilings and walls of the Pub. In 1996, McGuire's Irish Pub of Destin opened on beautiful Destin Harbor with the same great food and live Irish entertainment. For the most current Menu's please visit our website.
PA
“Large Portions, Great Beer”
Reviewed April 28, 2014

Quick Synopsis:
*Food: Exceptionally large portions, great menu selection
*Drinks: 6 beers made right on site, very large wine cellar
*Service: Cheerful, prompt, attentive
*Atmosphere: Dark rooms, lots of seating areas, very visually stimulating, moderate noise level. Authentic in feel, not a commercialized establishment.

And now, the details:

When we arrived in NW Florida, we were very hungry and decided to eat in Pensacola before driving from the airport to our destination, over an hour away. The people we were there to visit suggested McGuire's from past experience, so we made our way there.

McGuire's is an Irish Pub and Brewery where they make their own beer. Featuring 5 regular beers plus one rotating seasonal, it's all brewed right there which is a pretty cool touch to the whole experience.

We were there on a Saturday, late in the afternoon. There seemed to be plenty of parking.

When you walk in, you're struck by the sheer uniqueness of the atmosphere. It's a dark place, and filled with different sized dining areas. No two rooms are alike, and depending on where you sit, you may wind around and through the building to get to your seat.

If you look up at the ceiling at any point, you will be taken aback for a moment. Thousands of one dollar bills are hung vertically from every possible point on the ceiling. They even hand from ceiling fans! Most are written on, and it is truly an odd sight. We never did ask what the meaning behind that was, but it's strange yet kind of cool.

I've been to a couple of places with the word "Pub" somewhere in their title, and it's not really a pub feel. This place has "Irish" and "Pub" in the name, and is true to its name. It doesn't feel commercial at all, very authentic and a true feel. The real deal.

We sat in a roomy booth. Beers were brought to us in a timely manner by a cheerful waitress, who also ensured we still were good on beverages before our food even came out. The menu features all kinds of foods, and choosing something is not the easiest task. Their burger section contains some really unique topping combinations, and you can really have a creatively inspired meal. Also, these burgers are a whopping 3/4 pound!

I chose a Reuben by suggestion. It was enormous. Packed full of corned beef, I could only eat half. For me, it was just a little too much meat, the ratio of meat, sauerkraut, and dressing wasn't quite as it should be, but it was still pretty tasty nonetheless.

My husband had one of the nifty burgers, another enormous serving. I had the fries with my sandwich, which were so very good, and he had onion rings which weren't all that impressive.

The other two people in our party also had very large servings. One had the Reuben as well (really, we could have split one and been satisfied), the other had a Shepherd's pie which again, was quite large.

It was fairly noisy inside, which can make it difficult to carry on conversations in some circumstances, but you'd have to expect it in such a large facility.

McGuire's also serves wine, and from what I hear, they have one of the largest restaurant wine cellars in the world.

I felt the food was reasonably priced. The Reuben with fries was $10, and for the amount of food we got, that was a good deal.

It's a really cool place to go for something different. It's not somewhere I'd go to regularly if I lived there, simply because I'd weigh 300 pounds and have high blood pressure from the sodium overload, but it's great if you're in the area and want somewhere local and nifty.

I would not recommend bringing small children or babies here. I feel it would be a sensory overload with all the visually stimulating objects, and the noise. Plus, there isn't a whole lot of room for high chairs strewn about. It's better for a party of adults and older kids.

All in all, it's something worth experiencing whether you live around there, or are just visiting. It does make a nice place to sit back, relax, enjoy a great beer and some tasty food after landing at the airport. It's not too far from the airport, either.

1 Thank Willow L

• Polish first
Springfield, Missouri
“wow!”
Reviewed April 27, 2014

When we got there on a Friday night, we had a lot of trouble finding a parking spot, and was afraid the wait would be too long. There were several parties outside but when we went in to put our name's on the list we was immediately seated (party of two), what a surprise! Great food, the restaurant's decor was great fun, and the service stellar. Will definitely go back.

Visited April 2014
Memphis, Tennessee
“Very delicious!”
Reviewed April 27, 2014

My boyfriend loves anything Irish and we couldn't wait to stop by when they opened. We went for dinner on a friday night and had about a 10 minute wait. He order the Irish lamb stew and it was phenomenal. I normally don't like lamb, and even I thought it was so delicious, my mouth is watering as I think about it! I ordered the rueben and was impressed by the amazing flavor they coaxed out of the corned beef and sour kraut. Even the Irish black bread with honey was to die for. We were thoroughly impressed, although it was a tad on the pricey side. Still it was worth every penny!

Visited April 2014
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Great food, location and service”
Reviewed April 27, 2014

I recently stayed at the Marriott Courtyard in Pensacola. McGuire's was recommended to be by several people. I usually don't bother with the whole "Irish Pub" places because usually it is just bar food (i.e. nachos) and fake Irish decorations. This place has the real feel. It has been there since 1977, and apparently has never changed a thing. I ate there several times because it was a stones throw from the Courtyard. Everything was very good. I had fish and chips, steak, lamb, and a burger. The best by far was the lamb, but everything was very good. Service was on the spot, and they did a great job of making you feel welcome. We showed up at lunch as a party of 25, we didn't call ahead and they still sat us with in 10 minutes.

Hampton, Illinois
“Steaks and burgers in pensacola”
Reviewed April 27, 2014

We have spent spring break in Pensacola for years and I don't know why we have never eaten here. The outstanding food, atmosphere and craft beer will bring us back next year. The food was excellent and the portions were huge. We were on vacation a and didn't want leftovers so we split a smoked prime rib, got a side of fried oysters and each had!a bowl of the 18 cent bean soup. We both were so stuffed that there was no room for dessert.
The restaurant is large and would be fun for a variety of groups; couple, families or groups. It has a variety of Irish themed rooms- boxing, Notre Dame, horse racing etc and hundreds of thousands of signed dollar bills stapled to the walls. Combine this with live music and a strolling bagpiper and you've got the makings of a fun evening. The brewery of flings will make even the most persnickety beer drinker happy and they feature a two-for-one happy hour.
This meal was a great value. Our bill was under $50 with two drinks each!
This restaurant has won Florida's Golden Fork year after year.