“Very Old!”

and up
Civil War Tour of Pensacola
Ranked #6 of 111 things to do in Pensacola
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in the Pensacola Naval Station, this is the site of the first U.S. Naval yard that was built in 1821.
Reviewed November 7, 2012

This is something I recommend seeing if you are in to history. I am, therefore, I really liked visiting this moss-covered fort.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

Fort Barrancus is beautiful! Be sure to watch the video about Fort Barrancus inside the Visitor Center before you walk out to the actually Fort. Knowing the history of how it was constructed will have you looking a little closer and appreciating the beauty of the Fort.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

This was impressive. Rows of white grave stones lined up like soldiers. It was also very sobering to realize that each stone symbolized a man or woman that gave their life for our freedom. The trees are very stately and beautiful, the site very well maintained.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

Fort Barrancas is one of the lesser known Forts in the area but will likely leave you as it did me, awestruck. I only heard about it while visiting tripadvisor and decided to give it a look, I am so glad I did!

If you are a photographer looking to capture some wonderful shots this is going to be the place; mysterious long abandoned tunnels and hallways, wonderful architecture, and beautiful tones of blue/orange light bouncing through the small windows. Every corner in this place leads someplace fascinating.

For explorers this is an amazing place, in sure scale and depth Fort Barrancas will have you walking it's halls wondering what great moments in history happened here since it's start in the 1700's.

I especially liked the Spanish part of the complex with it's white brick and super cool stairway.

When visiting be sure to get there mid-day, they close kind of early, normally around 4:30. I would advise to budget at least 2 hours to really enjoy it.

This fort is one of the very best visually in all of Florida it is simply a must see.

Also of note is the "Advanced Redoubt" Fort that is right down the street that is very cool as well

Reviewed October 9, 2012

My family and I have been to numerous forts, and we all agree that Fort Barrancas was architecturally by far the best! It is full of arches and has two tunnels. One tunnel leads to a Spanish Fort that is below Fort B. This fort has a great historic past that was told to us by a National Park Service Guide and a video. Impressive!!!