“Worst Experience Ever”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Reviewed May 26, 2014

My husband and I have been loyal customers at The Pig for the last 3 years. Yesterday was the last time we will ever step foot in that restaurant. We were seated at the bar and the owner/manager Mark was at the end of the bar with another gentleman. He was drinking heavily and having a good time with his buddy. The bartender was behind the bar, completely in over her head. At one point, she stopped in front of Mark and his buddy and Mark asked her to turn around and show him her love handles. Unfortunately, she did. She turned around, raised her shirt, and showed her backside. Mark responded with "The more cushion for the pushing." The bartender laughed, shrugged it off, and walked away. He repeated the comment a few more times, laughing out loud and enjoying what had just happened. About ten minutes later, the bartender was pouring a beer for a customer and Mark asked "Hey (insert bartender's name), how many balls can you fit into your mouth at one time?" She didn't respond right away, so he asked her again. She answered the question to his enjoyment and at that point, I was done. My husband and I had received our food and we could no longer sit there. We have had conversations with Mark in the past and he knew who we were, although I am not sure he knew we were there at that time. I walked over to him, put my arm on his shoulder, and asked him if I could speak with him outside. We walked outside and I explained to him everything I had seen and heard that night. I told him we were appalled, embarrassed, disgusted, repulsed, and overall disappointed. We explained that we would never be returning to his restaurant. The way in which he speaks to his employees and runs his business is not one that we will support ever again. He has a serious problem!

6  Thank carrie_rhea
There are newer reviews for The Happy pig

Reviewed May 20, 2014

We were traveling through Pensacola and got a craving for BBQ. We did a quick google search and saw that this restaurant had a very high rating. I will be very amazed if this review makes it online because it seems as though this restaurant uses some type of a scrubber company to delete bad ratings from their reviews.

The first red flag came to me when we rolled up on this establishment in a posh neighborhood setting. No great BBQ establishment in the history of the world has ever had this scenario. The second red flag was the lack of BBQ smell both outside and INSIDE the restaurant. At this point, I pointed out to my wife that this might not be a good idea. But, we were hungry and they had a 4.7/5.0 rating, so we decided to continue. The third red flag wasn't that big of a deal... the diet coke that I ordered wasn't any good, so I switched it with a tea (no biggie). However, the fourth red flag was absolutely unacceptable for any restaurant, BBQ or not. I ordered a 2-meat combo platter for $16.99 and chose ribs and ham as my two items. With that order, you'd expect at least one of two things: 1) Large Portions, or 2) amazingly delicious smaller quantities (or maybe both). We got neither. The rib (not ribs, BTW) was room temperature and the ham was cold. COLD. Oh, and let me tell you a little more about the ham. When you order a $16.99, 2-meat BBQ combo plate from a 4.7-starred restaurant, you'd expect your ham to be pretty amazing, correct? I imagined nothing less than something you'd get from Heavenly Ham, or at the VERY least a well prepared ham steak. Do you know what I got?! I got three rectangle pieces of sandwich meat. Let me repeat that. I WAS GIVEN, AS MY PORTION OF HIGH-QUALITY MEAT, FROM THIS 4.7-STARRED ESTABLISHMENT, LOW-GRADE SANDWICH SLICES OF HAM. And they didn't even step up to the High-quality ham slices. It was that government-issue grade ham that you save 60% on at Walmart because no one else is stupid enough to purchase it. Yeah, that crap!

This place should not have been opened if they were going to serve the type of food they served. And if this is their standard, then they should be shut down immediately. And if the citizens of Pensacola think that this is delicious BBQ, they all need to have their heads checked. WORST. BBQ. EVER!!!

2  Thank Josh R
Reviewed May 14, 2014 via mobile

I hate to write poor reviews but in this case I can't help it. I am a BBQ freak, I have a Lang 48" Deluxe which I use often. This is the worst BBQ I've ever eaten and I've eaten a lot. The meat has zero smoke flavor so I don't know why it's even called BBQ. I know they use use a large stainless steel electric smoker but this doesn't excuse the lack of flavor. Their sauces are lacking as well although they have a good variety of sauces. If you are looking for good BBQ in P'cola try Brothers BBQ on Gulf Beach Hwy. I am not affiliated with Brothers and have eaten at Happy Pig five times hoping that each time would be better than the last only to be disappointed.

2  Thank wblake76
Reviewed March 17, 2014

I generally try pulled-pork at a new place whenever possible, and I'm glad I did here. However, a happy surprise was the juicier PULLED-CHICKEN! Kids got wings (smoked!) and grilled cheese (awesome cheesy goodness) -- both were Yummo ($7 each). Dessert for us was 2x Bread Pudding: Bananas Foster Style. Not sure if they were worth $6 each plus $2 EACH for a scoop of ice cream ("a la mode"), although they certainly were enough to top up the 4 of us (2 adults, 2 kids). Adult platters were $12.

Service was really friendly, but recent staff cuts left us with only 2 servers for the whole place, which went from only us at 5pm to packed within 30 mins. This meant long wait times for server rounds like drink refills. Apparently the staff is "under construction."

I would DEF go here again and make sure I get there before the crowd!

Also, I've heard Wednesdays are Wine & Swine events...?

Reviewed March 9, 2014

Loved the Cuban sandwich at The Happy Pig. The house salad was also very nice and had a great vinaigrette. The Happy Pig offers four choices of sauces for your BBQ. I preferred the smoky and the sweeter sauces and liked mixing the white sauce too. the Mustard sauce was probably my least favorite but was still good. Service was excellent and the waitresses were friendly and on the ball with refills and anything I might have needed. The bar looked nice although I wasn't there for drinking. Will definitely be back.