“Never again” 1 of 5 bubbles

Red Roof Inn Pensacola Fairgrounds
Ranked #29 of 63 Hotels in Pensacola
“Never again”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

We stopped at that hotel on the long drive to Florida. It was getting dark and everybody was very tired. The second we came out of the elevator on the third floor we were overwhelmed by smoky/musty/moldy smell. The room smelt the same. Later we discovered gum stuck to the wall, black mold on the shower door, tiny fridge had yellow sticky looking stains, stained carpet in hallways and the room, sheets appeared to be washed but had yellow stains, walls were beat up. I don't consider $90 a good value for this kind of accomodations. When I brought up all these issues to the front desk person, who I now think was the manager Hary, he was so rude to me. When I mentioned all the negative reviews on line, he said he did not care what people write. Terrible customer service! Did not even go to breakfast area. Could not leave the place fast enough. I can't imagine anybody giving this place a 5 star rating unless it's the manager himself posting positive reviews! The worst night ever at the hotel.

• Stayed August 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Oklahoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

We had stayed at the other property in Pensacola and this one is the better pick. Yes, it is an older property but it is well maintained, and the room I had was clean and smelled fresh. The bed was very comfortable and there was no noise from other rooms. The air conditioning worked great as well. The lobby was nice, clean and looked fresh. The staff was friendly and responsive to inquiries. It is also conveniently located right next to I-10 with restaurants nearby. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Bill D47
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

We stayed here the last two nights of our trip and it was wonderful. The owner was so friendly and very accommodating. The pool was clean and heated with an outdoor shower to clean off with. The rooms were neat and very clean and had very comfortable beds. I won't be staying anywhere else on our next trip down!

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank Jbmatherne
Indianapolis, Indiana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

A decent hotel for the price but not a place I'd stay at again. Most of the staff was very nice but the manager gave me a bit of a hard time about getting a receipt for my stay since my company has a negotiated rate with the hotel. He would not explain what he meant. As far as the room goes, it was somewhat run down and smelled a little like cigarette smoke and mildew (non-smoking room). The room was reasonably clean but parts were overlooked and not cleaned during my stay. The blanket on the bed had holes in it and just looked nasty. Not that it's the hotels fault but the people on both sides of me were very loud and there were doors slamming until about 1 AM. I suppose you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Ask to see (and smell) the room before you settle on it.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Lock-Man65
Birmingham, Alabama
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012

I don't know where other reviewers come up with 5 Stars for this place but this hotel hadn't been updated in years (not what the pictures show). It was quite possibly one of the worst nights of sleep ever. We stopped over 1 night on a trip to the beach and it was late in the evening, yes it was only $62 including tax but we've stayed in nicer places for that amount. I was afraid to touch the remote or alarm clock or much of anything that was affixed to the room.

Room Tip: There may be some updated rooms based on the pictures on the website, if there are, please stay in o...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sunshinedaydreamin
Athens, Alabama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

This is a very clean hotel for the price. Breakfast was decent. We where a little put off by the owner (indian guy.) We do smoke and where not able to get a smoking room and where fine with that but he kept telling us over and over ( no smoking in the room! no smoking in the room) until the point of being rude. We did NOT smoke in the room and did NOT appreciate him telling us that EVERY time we went to the lobby. Other than that which I think is just a cultural misunderstanding- the hotel was nice. Has a nice pool. Rooms are small. The hotel was quiet and not alot of foot traffic outside at night ( I know because we went outside during the night to smoke several times.) It was kind of far from the beach too. Not far from the interstate so the trip to pensacola beach/santa rosa island really isnt bad. 20- 25 mins drive. May I suggest that you pay the $10 for a week admission to the state park Ft. Pickins. It is a nice beach- more private and worth taking the family.

Room Tip: You can stay on Pensacola beach for about the same amount if you go to vacation rent by owners websi...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ArielJ256
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2012

Me and my husband had a stop over for overnight while travelling to Orlando. We found out exit 7 on highway I-10 is the hub of hotels. dint know which one to go in to since there were so many, so stopped over at the gas station at the exit, called my daughter in Orlando, and she checked online and got back to us saying Red Roof Inn at exit 7 was the best budget hotel of all. So we pulled into Red Roof Inn, and we were attended well and we got a room for around $80. We checked into the room and it was clean and neat and quite reasonable for the price. The sheets were clean and air conditioning was working well unlike other hotels, the bathroom was neat and plenty of towels and though there was no bath tub, who needs one when all we need is to stay for a night, but the shower head was good with ample pressure. The gentlemen at front desk was kind enough to bring us some tooth brushes to our room which we forgot to pack. The room had small fridge, microwave and ironing board and hangers , just about all we need and expect in a hotel. We were served complimentary breakfast in the morning right before we left to continue on our trip to Orlando. I must say the overall stay was very comforting and it was quiet and pleasant stay. I highly recommend this hotel to others. For about $80 for the night, it was well worth it. I sure would stay back here when travelling back from Orlando after our vacation.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family