“Too confusing, too much potential for danger”
Review of Genghis Grill - CLOSED

Genghis Grill
Cuisines: Asian
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Probably a first for me. I walked out of a restaurant without having eaten anything. Went to Genghis Grill at lunch time today, with co-worker/friend. Took 5 minutes to be seated when we arrived, and they were no busy, tons of empty tables. Strike 1

Once we were seated, menus were left. The whole idea of building your own bowl was not described in the menu or how you even go about it. We had to track down the waitress to help. She sort of explained it, but left without asking for drink orders. Then came back with empty bowls and up we went to the Protein station.

Well, that is where Strikes 2 and 3 came into play. No employee was there and it appeared to be a self serve station, with all sorts of raw meats just out in the open, so to speak. I realize they were in a refrigerated holding receptable, my friend and I both turned to each other at the same time and wondered together how long these raw meats had been sitting out. At that point, since we hadn't even ordered anything, we mutually decided that we would leave and not risk getting ill due to the meats sitting out.

Look, I realize this is a concept restaurant. One I am in favor of: letting me pick out exactly what I want in my meal. But I had no idea how to even go about picking out the protein, how much was I supposed to take it. How many others had coughed or sneezed at the station.

the only other stir fry place I have been to had an employee fill a bowl with the stuff I chose. This seems like a better way to order.

I will give Genghis Grill a positive in that their website is very good. Better at explaining what is on the menu than the actual menu. And very good nutrional info as well. That was outstanding. But, how that translated into my actual visit was a bust. Maybe if we had a better server, or a better menu design or both and our visit could have worked. But all that worked to make us leave. And that disappoints me. I was excited to try something different.

Oh, lastly, the menu has certain bowls that are "pre-chosen" with intersting names, but absolutely no description as to what is in them. The website does describe each bowl. I have no idea who's idea it was to not do so on the actualy written menus. Very perplexing.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

PRO:

- The food is really delicious.
- Solicitous manager.
- Many food choices.

CON:

- Difficult to reach food items in the back row.
- Dirty flatware.
- Sanitary concern regarding the sauces.
- Very noisy even when not full.
- Excessive wait for our meals.

There is a wide variety of food choices available. The website will even provide nutritional information for each item as you put together your meal. That’s very helpful for anyone planning a healthy meal. The grilled meals were very tasty. Boxes were provided to take the leftovers home.

The low sneeze guard over the food makes it extremely difficult to reach the food items on the back row. The manager told us they have staff available behind the counter to assist. No one was available during our lunch. We had to bend over sideways and stick our heads under the sneeze guard to reach the back row, defeating the purpose of the guard. The manager told us this was a known issue.

They give you two metal bowls, one for the food to be grilled and a small metal cup for the sauce. Other diners were given a metal carrying tray designed to conveniently hold both bowls. We and some other diners were not so lucky so we had to carry the small bowl separately while juggling the larger bowl.

There are over a dozen sauces to choose from. Tiny spoons for tasting the many sauces are available in a container at the left side of the sauce section. At the right end of that section is a receptacle for soiled spoons. We saw no sign instructing diners to discard their spoons after tasting each sauce. Even if there had been such a sign, we would still be concerned that some diners might use the same spoon to taste different sauces. If they did not select a clean spoon each time they would be transferring their saliva from their mouths to the next sauce they tasted. And who knows what might be in that saliva. Yuk!

As ususual with this type of restaurant no knives were provided at the table, only forks. The forks were clean. We asked for two knives. Two dirty knives were brought to us. We showed the dirty knives to the server and asked for two clean knives. Clean knives were then provided.

The server appeared to be distracted. After my wife received her order and while I was waiting for mine to arrive the server came over and asked us how our meals were. My wife answered that hers was good. I answered that I did not know if mine was good yet because I was still waiting for it to arrive. She replied: "good, good" and walked away.

Although the meals were very tasty, we feel that $23 for two lunch bowls is too much to pay for what you can pile onto your metal bowl. For about that same price we can go to nearby buffet restaurants with grills and unlimited trips to the food line. The sanitary issue with the sauces and the tasting spoons is the final deal breaker for us.

1  Thank CenVillager316
Reviewed February 22, 2013

There is something for everyone at Genghis Grill. It is a new location and thus ironing out some wrinkles, but everyone was pleasant and courteous and the service was great as expected. The mongolian BBQ is WONDERFUL and I love the ingredient cards that help you. You can run the gamut of healthy or not, it just depends on what you choose. We will definitely eat here again. One caveat, the kids pizza was disgusting. That is the ONLY reason I did not rate it excellent. It looked like a quesadilla with pizza sauce and cheese on it and my daughter did not eat but a few bites. Not at all appetizing, visually or taste-wise. So skip the kids pizza.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

I have visited the GG in Eagan, MN and enjoyed it. I like the variety you can create with their foods and sauces. It is very easy to create a healthy option here which as a business traveler is important to me!

They had only been open a week so I understand if a few kinks still exist but it seemed their corporate training was a little slack. We ordered edamame, it never came. To the server's credit, he realized it before we told him. It was barely 7 PM and they were already out of brown rice for the day. We also had issues getting drink refills. I do hope they work out these issues as the food and atmosphere is great at Genghis Grill locations!