“Not great, but not bad”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wrightington
liverpool
“Not great, but not bad”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013

Went here for a family xmas gathering, we had soup to start, some of it spilled by the server on my suit, didnt complain as this place only employ really young waiters & waitresses, obviously less than minimum wage. The xmas meal is a carvery, choice of three meats, all very nice the gammon was a bit salty, I was wondering if that was deliberate ploy for you to get more drinks? The veg was overdone and so was the roast potatoes, they were like rock. Nice to catch up with family and friends, but this place seems to take advantage of the xmas period and seriously hike up the prices, if they do not up their game, I think people will go elsewhere. Everything overpriced.

Room Tip: Better places to stay
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Wright_Hotel, Business Development Manager at The Wrightington Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

Although we welcome all feedback, I must make serious objections to your comments about young staff and paying less than the minimum wage, this would be illegal and highly immoral. I can assure you that a varied age range of staff are employed here at the hotel in a variety of roles and all are paid in line and above U.K law.

I am sorry you feel that our prices are too high, again I can assure you that we are extremely competitively priced and are by no means the most expensive in the area. We also by no means overly inflate the prices at Christmas to take advantage of the season, if you get a chance to look at the hotels website you will in fact see that certain prices are lowered whilst others remain in line with the food and beverage package being offered.

With regards your comments about the food, Gammon is naturally high in salt as it has been cured, I can assure you that our food is not overly salted to make a few extra pounds over the bar. I would guarantee that this tactic would certainly have no long term benefits to our business.

I am sorry to sound a little strong in my reply but online complaints which have never been voiced directly to the hotel can be very damaging and if I may add unfair when incorrectly communicated.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Hebrew first
Hartford, null, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2013

I had an overnight here in a Superior room it was adequate with aircon Toilet was spotless and functional rather small good standard of fixtures the whole facility is clinical but a bit impersonal.
Reception /entry is a bit cold and uninviting.
I was really tired and slept well had a good breakfast albeit it was a bit like a Boarding house feels before leaving to rejoin the M6 2 minutes away.
Much better than the usual Premier Lodge type place.

Room Tip: I feel they will all be quiet!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Bury, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here when we were attending a wedding at nearby heskin hall. We didn't know the area at all so we got taxi numbers of the girl who answered the phone. We got to the hotel and easily parked the car, we were given a lovely warm but professional greeting and dealt with very quickly and efficiently. When we got to our room it was very well done the room was decorated to a high standard lovely cushions on the bed it just looked luxurious and cosy. We got ready to go out and then went to the wedding. When we returned we were greeted once again, it was quite busy round the hotel as there was a wedding on I think. We returned to our room worried about noise but it was bliss no noise from outside or downstairs. The breakfast in the morning was good also help yourself cooked breakfast, croissant, fruit, cereal, toast the lot. We decided to treat ourselves and have a cooked breakfast with toast which is fine however the toast machine was set so low you had to put your bread through 4 times for it to resemble dry bread never mind toast but not to worry. Then the sausages weren't cooked properly but everything else was yummy I would definitely stay there again if I was in the area.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Wright_Hotel, Admin Manager at The Wrightington Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Dear Guest. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and look forward to welcoming you back.
Mandurah, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2013

We stayed for one night on the 29/11/13.
Check in was really friendly and speedy.

The room was lovely. Bed very comfy and bedroom so quiet with great blackout curtains.
The leisure facilities were superb and very clean.

We dined in Bennet's restaurant. The food and service was top class, we couldn't fault it.
Breakfast was fine with a great choice and plenty of hot food left, despite us arriving for it with five minutes to spare.

The only slight negative is the bathroom was a bit shabby in comparision to the room and the rest of the hotel. This didn't spoil our stay and we hope to return again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest. Thank you for your kind comments and positive feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.
Angus
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

Stayed the one night for work. Room was very spacious and I had a good sleep. It was a really cold night but the hotel was very warm. Beds are very comfortable. Staff were very pleasant and helpful. Hotel is about 15-20 minutes in a taxi (£10) from the nearest station in central Wigan. Breakfast is a good choice and again staff were very friendly and helpful. The hotel is close to the Wrightington Hospital.

The only downside is the price insofar as it is fairly expensive in comparison to similar comparable hotels even checking for any offers.

I would highly recommend this hotel for the clean, spacious rooms and the friendly, helpful staff.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest. Thank you for your positive feedback and we do look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.
Maldon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013

A couple of weeks ago myself and my family travelled up to the Allergy show which was held at the Echo Arena in Liverpool, however as we had a long drive up from Essex we stopped over night in The Wrightington Hotel and Country Club, which we were all most impressed with. 3 of us in our party suffer with Coeliac and the hotel and restaurant could not be more accommodating, with endless polite and helpful staff catering for what dishes we desired. Furthermore with breakfast the next day nothing seemed to be a problem, options of gluten free bread and cereals was amazing. They always aimed to please! Every one was so friendly and made time for us. A lady who worked within the restaurant spoke to us during our meal and we said how the restaurant was most accommodating with our gluten free needs, she took particular interest and we had a very nice conversation. We explained how 1 in 100 people now suffer with this and its on the increase, she replied by saying how they care for their customers and this was most apparent. The rooms were exceptionally clean and it was nice and quiet. I just had to mention on trip advisor how helpful and out going the hotel was with our dietary requirements and i would recommend them anyone travelling this way. I would most defiantly stay here again. Thank you.
Sophie x

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Wright_Hotel, Admin Manager at The Wrightington Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear Guest
We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your recent stay and that the staff were accomodating to your special dietary needs. We pride ourselves on fulfilling the requirements of our guests and always aim to please.
Kind Regards
Moscow, Russia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

Actually I find it shocking that a 5 star hotel doesn't have fridges in the rooms. I also could not find slippers in my room. Can you imagine this is the first time I decided not to carry slippers along in my luggage as I always find slippers in hotels.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Wright_Hotel, Business Development Manager/Admin Manager at The Wrightington Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback from you recent visit, it is much appreciated.
Although you have mentioned your displeasure over the lack of fridge and slippers in your room, I hope you enjoyed the hotel facilities and excellent service we pride ourselves upon.
I need to just highlight that the hotel is in fact a 4* property, however, slippers are available upon request and are supplied from the luxury spa that is on site. Should you happen to be in the area again I would be delighted to arrange these for you.
Regarding fridges; these are not available in the bedrooms, with the exception of the Suite and are not advertised on our website. Should you require a fridge in the future, please be aware that only the Suite has this facility.
Thank you once again for your comments.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wrightington
Macdonald Kilhey Court
Premier Inn Wigan (M6 Jct 27) Hotel
BEST WESTERN PLUS Lancashire Manor Hotel
Preston Marriott Hotel
Preston Marriott Hotel
#6 of 15 in Preston
BEST WESTERN Park Hall Hotel & Leisure Club
Shaw Hill Hotel, Golf & Country Club

Been to The Wrightington Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!