“Resort fee and poor wi-fi”

Holiday Inn Resort Panama City Beach
Ranked #2 of 48 Hotels in Panama City Beach
Inverurie, United Kingdom
“Resort fee and poor wi-fi”
Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

I'd stayed here soon after the hotel opened and chose it to return with my wife. It is comfortable, well-appointed and has balcony views of the gulf. However, I was disappointed to be charged an additional $22.50 resort fee. One of the reasons for choosing the hotel was it had "high-speed Internet", which I need for business. The wi-fi is at best intermittent and very slow.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Panama City Beach, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Dear Savik,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am glad you found our hotel to be comfortable, well appointed with a great view of the gulf. We always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I'm very sorry you were not satisfied with the internet connection and the additional resort fee. We will review for possible modifications so to better accommodate our guest in the future. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Ferdinand G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (791)
murfreesboro, tn
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We stayed here last year and were very happy with everything except for the beds. We were trying to decide if we wanted to stay here again this year and we knew that some rooms had been remodeled and had new beds, so we decided to give it another try. All of the amenities such as location, full size refrigerator, friendly staff, activities, pool side movie, shows, aqualand, pool, entertainment and DJ Jim make it hard to pass up this property.
Our 4 1/2 year old son was thrilled with his bunk beds and loved having his own TV and area to play in (although it is close quarters, it was fine for him). The bed, which they say is a queen, looks more like a full size to us, but I can't be sure, still wasn't comfortable. Every time one of us moved it made a loud noise. I don't think it was an old mattress, it was just very cheap. When you don't sleep good, it really diminishes your experience.
This time we also had an issue with housekeeping. When we first checked in (we were very thankful to be able to check in at 10:30 am since we had been driving since 2:30 am), the floor didn't look very clean but I didn't mention it. The 2nd day we were there, it was 6:00 pm and our room hadn't been cleaned yet. My husband had to have towels and washclothes brought up so he and my son could shower. We stopped by the front desk and the girl working was very nice and asked if we still wanted our room cleaned, which we did and that was taken care of before we returned. The next day our room didn't get cleaned at all, we left about 5:00 and came back around 9:30 and it still wasn't cleaned. My husband went down to the front desk with a list of stuff that we needed; towels, washclothes, toilet paper, kleenex, soap, and shampoo. The girl at the front desk asked if she hadn't talked to him the night before and when he said yes, she immediately gave us credit for one nights stay and said that what we needed would be there within 5 minutes, which it was. We really appreciate how quickly she took care of that situation. The next day our room was cleaned, no problems. Our last day, the shower hadn't been touched when they cleaned as there was still hair that in the tub and spilled shampoo on the ledge. That day I also noticed what appeared to be blood on the wall close to the bathroom. There definitely needs to be some attention given to housekeeping. It is an inconvenience to not have a cleaned room when you are ready to shower and go out to dinner.
These are the two things that keep me from giving an excellent rating. If there was an investment in comfortable beds (king size would be great in the bunk bed rooms, but comfortable is the main issue) and the housekeeping issues resolved you could not beat this hotel for everything it offers. I would still recommend it to friends, and I have numerous times, but always with a side note about the beds.
Everything else is great, the food we had at the grill was great, did not eat in the restaurant. Drinks from the tiki hut were yummy and the bartenders very nice. Loved the Todd Allen show! Watermelon and punch in the afternoon is a nice treat. DJ Jim is so personable and great at what he does. Went to Gulf World and received 20% off with our HI coupon. My son and I enjoyed Finding Nemo by the pool and that was a neat experience. Been gone a week and a half and we miss the ocean and that HI pool! Hope to see reviews stating more comfortable beds soon. If we do, we might consider staying here again.

4 Thank Tonya
phcolvin, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Panama City Beach, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience with our resort on Trip Advisor! I’m so sorry to hear you had some issues with our Housekeeping Team, I will be sure to forward your comments to the Director of Housekeeping so he can go over these items with his team. We’re so glad you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and were able to take advantage of so much of the activities and entertainment we have to offer! Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Resort, we hope to have you as our guest again soon!
Kindly,
Milton, FL
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We stayed at the resort for just one night but I think we could have stayed forever. Our room was on the 14th floor almost in the middle and the view was spectacular. We were high enough not to hear so much of the noise around the pool. We have 2 children aged 6 and 5 who are normally hard to handle in a hotel, but they were so entertained while we were there that I could actually relax. The kid pool area was wonderful, I just had to sit and watch them play with the other kids. The hot tub area was full of kids who would get too chilled and would need to warm up but I guess most of the adults had little ones so no one complained! On Saturday night we watched the dancers and then enjoyed an outdoor showing of Puss N Boots with free popcorn. The outdoor grill was just what kids love and we also bought pizza (cash only) froma another hut. Pepsi is the drink they serve (yick!) but I did find the hut behind the grill had Coke. The beach is beautiful there but Holiday Inn has nothing to do with that, the whole area is nice. The weather was great so we barely even went in the room. The room was comfortable. There was a full size fridge and microwave that would come in handy if you stayed a while. I had a little cooler with me (for the beach) and no one ever said I couldn't have it in the pool area. I saw where some people complained about the noisy air conditioner but ours was fine. Kids do eat free but only with the purchase of an adult meal. The breakfast bar is not worth the money but since my kids ate free I did it anyway. Just the basic eggs and bacon, nothing special for $16. Overall it was a really good time and we will go back.

Room Tip: Go above the 8th floor for the best view. All rooms are gulf front but too low and you would see po...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your experience with our resort on Trip Advisor! We’re so glad you and your family enjoyed your stay with us! It’s great to hear you were able to take advantage of the amenities, activities, and entertainment we offer! Dive-Inn Movies are one of our most popular activities; the whole family enjoys watching movies on the pool deck while swimming! Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Resort; we look forward to having you as our guests again soon!
Columbus, Georgia
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We had not stayed at the Holiday Inn Resort for a number of years (since it was the Sunspree) so I was quite surprised at how attentive, friendly, and helpful all of the staff were. However, "tip of the hat" goes to Steve in beach services who calmly and professionally resolved an issue we had with our beach chair rental. Well done, Steve! Additionally, i called the front desk with 2 minor plumbing issues in the bathroom and maintenance was knocking on my door within 10 minutes. Outstanding. Seeing as the place probably gets a workout during Spring Break, the rooms and facilities were clean and everthing was in good working order. Lastly, the grilled Mahi-Mahi sandwiches at the pool-side grill were very good. Even the fries came out hot. Overall, a very positive experience and we would definitely stay there again (off-season is best). Also, be advised, as some other had noted, there is a resort fee. Nonetheless, kudos to the staff for an exceptional job.

Room Tip: If you want to see the beautiful sunsets over the Gulf, try to get a low-numbered room (less than XX...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
phcolvin, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Panama City Beach, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience with our resort on Trip Advisor! We’re so glad you enjoyed your stay with us! It’s great to hear that our resort team was able to provide the superior service during your stay, especially our Beach Attendant Steve! I will make sure that our General Manager is aware of the outstanding job he is doing. We hope to have you as our guest again soon; thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Resort.
Athens, Georgia
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Great Staff, Room was nice, lots of security. Had to park across the street but shuttle service was always available. I was impressed with the kid-friendly atmosphere. Nice kids waterpark and pool. I had a unexpected surprise that a kids movie (Alvin and chipmunks) was being shown after dark next to the pool for the kids.Great idea! The only negative for the whole trip to me was that the beach chairs and umbrella that is normally complimentary at most of the condominiums cost me $40.00 for the day. IN 30 years of going to the gulf coast this is the most I've ever paid.I also paid the resort fee that I wasn't real happy with...$20.00 a day. I wasn't sure if i'd have to pay this if I'd booked through Holiday Inn.

Room Tip: All good rooms facing the ocean! 14th Floor elevator motor control room was noisy sometimes.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for sharing your experience with our resort on Trip Advisor! We’re so glad you enjoyed your stay with us! It’s great to hear that you were able to enjoy some of the many amenities and entertainment we offer at our resort! The resort fee that you mentioned covers the poolside entertainment, evening entertainment, Manager’s Receptions, and more; Please feel free to email us at info@paradisefound.com if you have any further questions about the resort fee. I will be sure to pass along your comments to the Director of Housekeeping as well as to the head of Maintenance so they can address these issues with their teams. Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Resort, we hope to have you as our guest again soon!
Kindly,
Moultrie, Georgia
Reviewed September 24, 2012

First of all let me say, as a single mom, I am always trying to get the best for my money.. This place was definitely worth every cent I spent. Everyone was so friendly from reservations to check out. My 4 year old stayed entertained the entire time between the gorgeous pool and awesome water park. Definitely a place for children and family friendly. I have now found our new favorite family vacation place. I read reviews where some other people weren't satisfied but all those horror stories seem fictious to me after going there and experiencing it first hand. If there was any advice I could give... I guess I would have say that the food is a little pricey but it is a resort and your on vacation so its kind of expected. Take snacks and drinks for the kids, our room had a large refridgerator so it was simple to run to Wal-mart and have things in the room for the kids. NO free breakfast and the buffet is expensive so also plan for that too. Can't wait til next season!

Room Tip: We stayed on the 14th floor.. There is music and activities that go on kind of late so if you have k...
1 Thank Tiffany T
Ohio
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We arrived at the hotel on Saturday Sept. 8 and left Sept. 15th. Room was on the 7th floor - it was quite for the most part (one neighbor got pretty rowdy one evening). Room was very large, had a full sized refrigerator (with an ice maker!) and a microwave in the room. Plenty of clothes storage space. Room was clean, cleaning crew did a good job each day. Didn't eat at the restaurant but did have a couple things from the tikihut restaurant outside. Front desk staff was very friendly and helpful - even met the manager. Lots of security around the place (friendly also). They keep the pool area clean and tidy. Was a great time to go - not too crowded. The view of the ocean is wonderful, the beach is great. As I said above - I'd go back anytime :)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experience with our resort on Trip Advisor! We’re so glad you enjoyed your stay with us! It’s great to hear that our resort team was able to provide the superior service during your stay! The full size refrigerator and microwave are very important to many of our guests, it’s great to hear that you were able to take advantage of some of the amenities our rooms offer! We hope to have you as our guest again soon; thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Resort.