“Family Vacation 2013”

Ocean Towers Beach Club
“Family Vacation 2013”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

My family had stayed a week at St. Pete Beach, Fl this week and we decided to stop in Panama City on our way home to stay the night becauseis was a half way point driving home. Because I was a blue green owner and I had such a great week staying at the Tradewinds Island resort I called Blue Green to see what was available last minute to stop in Panama City, Fl. They had an opening at Ocean Towers but due to the 2 night minimum stay I had to pay for 2 nights but was only staying for 1 night which was $200 but we wanted to rest in Panama so of course I booked it. Since we were still traveling from St. Pete to Panama City I pulled up the reviews to see what I should be expecting. To my disappointment the reviews looked bad so I started to worry. My husband said to just wait and see what we thought when we got there. When I walked into the office there was 2 ladys behind the counter. The one took my ID and started checkig me in. She asked for a credit card or cash for a $200 incidental fee. I explained to her that I had paid over the phone $200 for the night and because I had been on vacation all week long and that I did not have $200 cash and at this point I had been to an extremely nice Resort through Blue Green at The Tradewinds island resorts and they did not ask for me to leave a credit card. I asked the girl how long they would hold the $200 on my card and she repied 5-7 days. This hotel was not worth me handing over $400 for a 1 night stay even with expectations of getting $200 back. The lady said that only the manager could waive the incidental fee and asked the other employee if they needed to call her but the other employee rudely said no because that was their policy and I would have to pay it. I stepped outside and called Blue Green. They apologized and cancelled the reservation without charging me the $200 that I had paid earlier. I went next door to the Holiday Inn Express Resort which looked so much nicer and the price was $235 a nightbut I did not have to pay for 2 nights because they did not have the 2 night minimum stay and they did not charge me any incidental or other fees but also gave me 3 kids meal vouchers and 2 drink vouchers for me and my husband so the $35 difference was well worth it. The Holiday Inn Express was such a great place and I am soooo glad it did not work out for me to stay at that aweful Ocean Towers.

Room Tip: Did not make it to the rooms and sooo glad I didnt. Go next door to the Holiday Inn Express.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank Jennifer and Jonathan Davis

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We're not due to leave for Florida for another 3 weeks, however when I called to pay the balance on our room, I was advised that my timing was inconvenient for them. I'm sorry....I thought I was paying for this room.....and in turn paying for the customer service that accompanies it. She then very rudely advised me again that it was an inconvenient time for them and that they will automatically charge the remaining balance to the credit card on file. Well that's great but that belongs to the couple we are vacationing with and splitting the cost of the room with and they've already paid their share. When I advised her of this, she told me again that my timing was inconvenient for her and to call back later. Yeah....I'll be calling back..... Already looking for a room elsewhere....

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank Ontheroadagain1886

Travelers are raving about these Panama City Beach hotels

Roanoke
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Been staying at,Ocean Towers for fifteen years.Do not agree with the pets allowed policy.This year beach view spoiled with a beach service large inflatables,which were stored on the beach at night & inflated early morning under my bedroom window,being a wakeup call.

Room Tip: a room with a view!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank lewolfe
Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

This timeshare is not upscale but for the cost and location is second to none. The combination of ocean view, yearly maintenance cost and good owner management makes this a great place to own a week at the beach.
We have been coming for 20 yrs and raised 3 boys doing so. Check it out.

• Stayed June 2013
4 Thank pshiver30
Panama City Beach, Florida
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We come down for Thunderbeach at least once a year and have been staying here as much as possible. This time we were on the 4th floor, in the west tower. First thing I noticed this time was the kitchen had been redone. Out with the old, 90's wallpaper and in with a beautiful neutral paint job. Really makes the place look so much better. Sofas were newer too. Not the most comfortable things, but far from uncomfortable. I can understand they would pick sturdy over comfort being on the beach and having to deal with sand and wet bathing suits. Front desk was courteous, not overly friendly, but never rude. All the girls answered any questions to my satisfaction. I had some friends staying in the east tower, and I noticed they had an outdated entertainment center, and when I mentioned it to the desk, the manager happened to be there, and he told me they upgrade as much as they can as often as they can. He said they are removing all the outdated furniture as soon as it's needed. As this entertainment center was older, but still in very good shape, and the maanger said that's why it's still there. He said if it has to be replaced, it will be upgraded. I also mentioned how nice the paint looks, and he said that too is being done to all units. I have never had a bad stay here. I saw some of these reviews and I just have never had any problems. I even saw the security guard say something to a guy on a crotch rocket who was going too fast and revving his engine in the parking lot. I feel like they try to make our stay as pleasant as possible.

Room Tip: Request a west tower unit for a better view of the sunset.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank AMF2662
Maumelle, Arkansas
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Was one of the first owners here and have been blessed with a lifetime of memories and fine service. All the personnel go out of their way to make you feel like family and enjoy your stay. The location has gone down some as much more of PCB gone to condos - but still close to express routes/front beach strip and lots to do

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank arktravelerMaumelle
atlanta, ga
Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I decided to get away for a weekend. We would get there late Friday evening & have to check out Sunday. it would be worth it to me because I love the beach day or night. We rented the condo through a friend who had it as a timeshare. He had never stayed at this particular property & was very anxious to find out what we thought about it.

when we got there, check in was super easy and pain free. We went straight to our room which was nice. it was a corner unit so it had a panoramic view with three or four sets of sliding doors onto a huge wrap around patio. We immediately open every door pull back every curtain and enjoy the amazing ocean breeze. The room was evidently want to have been recently redone. It was a two bedroom two full bath with the master bath having a giant jacuzzi tub.it was clean and very neat. The living room furniture was not fabric but rather a vinyl type material. Not really luxury, but very functional for wet bathing suits. The living room furniture was not especially comfortable either but we were there for a short time so it did not matter to us. It had a nice size kitchen fully stocked with all of the things you would need. the dining area have a large table that would comfortably seat 6. we were pleased with the unit. The view was the most spectacular part of it though.

After a nice late dinner we enjoyed the amazing view and then settled into the nice king size bed in the master bedroom. About 5am I woke up and when I stepped onto the carpet, I thought sure I'd stepped into the ocean. I was stepping in about an inch deep of water on every single surface of the floor throughout the entire unit.

There is no one in the office after hours therefore I contacted the number provided for security. The officer immediately came up with lots of beach towels and before cleaning up the water, he had to identify where it was coming from. there was a large closet with a full size hot water heater in it, but no leak. Come to find out there is another small hot water heater under a kitchen counter in the back corner. He had to pull apart some of the cabinet in order to get inside to stop the water leak.after turning off the water he spent no less than two hours in our unit with beach towels cleaning up the water. He was very nice and we appreciated all the work that he did to clean up the water. During conversation with him, I determined that this was not the first time this has happened.

at about 7:43am, the maintenance man came in and was in an out of the unit for about two and a half hours.he said they would have to replace the hot water heater and then get someone in to vacuum the water from the carpet and get a blower on it to dry it. At 9:30am we decided to go to breakfast, because the kitchen counter had been completely ripped off and we had no water in the unit. He said it would only take about another hour, so we killed time and came back three hours later. we returned to find the kitchen had been torn up even more, the hot water heater was still not replace and nothing had been done about the wet carpets.

we went to the office to complain and asked to be moved to a different room only to be told that the manager would have to decide whether we could be moved. Mind you, the manager was not there and the girl at the front desk had to call him and he said he would call her back to tell her yes or no whenever he got home and had a chance to look it over. I was infuriated. This was the only day that we had to spend at the beach and they couldn't even move us? We had wasted half the day already without access to our room and now there was a question as to whether they could relocate us even after she told me there was a room available! She got defensive with me and took a nasty tone and I made it clear to her that if this had happened to her she would not feel the same way. She said that her boss was the only person that could make these decisions and they were not given any ability to do so; therefore we would have to just wait to hear from the manager. I had the crazy notion that we could go swimming in the pool while we waited, but found out that the pool had been closed do to a spring breaker pooping in it! come to find out this was not a new experience for them and that had happened last year several times. They did have the pool back open in a couple of hours, but I would never have gotten in it after such a short period of time of being closed. There is no way that it was safe to do so!

after about 45 minutes we got the call the we could be moved from the beautiful view of the 6th floor to the crappy view of the first floor. We really didn't care we just wanted to be in a room where we could have privacy and enjoy the rest of our time. in their defense, they did agree to let us check out an hour later than normal time due, to the inconvenience, of course this is only because I insisted that they do something.

The good news is that the room we ended up in, which did not have a jacuzzi tub, did at least have decent accommodations.although, the guest room toilet didn't work.

when we left, I was just thankful it was over! The sad part is that the room on the 6th floor was actually very nice and we would have enjoyed the stay had this hot water heater problem not happened. now you say that this was probably just a freak thing, but you would be wrong! I found out from the maintenance guy that this had happened a lot! I also read the reviews before leaving and did see mention of broken hot water heaters, I couldn't imagine that it would still be a problem. The maintenance guy said they had turned all of the water off on the property and when they turned it back on the rush of power in the water created the problem. I feel bad for the maintenance people and security staff, but do not at all have any sympathy for the office staff and the way they treat people!! We will never never never never day at this place again!

• Stayed April 2013