“Boardwalk Beach Resort”

Ranked #40 of 48 Hotels in Panama City Beach
wv
“Boardwalk Beach Resort”
Reviewed July 5, 2009

I am currently staying at Boardwalk Beach Resort and just comment on what a wonderful place it is to stay. Check-in was a breeze, we even got into our room 2 hrs early. The resort is one of the cleanest places I have ever had the luxury of staying in. There is someone always cleaning, floors, windows, ect. The staff we have encountered have been very friendly. We have been here over July 4th weekend and although the city is wild, the hotel has been in complete control. There have been some roudy guests but security was quick to take control. The pool is very large and the zero entry side is perfect for small children. There is also a "splash area" and baby pool that is very well taken care of. Another great thing is that the parking is right out front, no walks across streets or long sky bridges to deal with. Never once did we have a problem finding a parking spot. I cannot say enough about this wonderful resort. We stayed at Splash last year and to me, they do not compare to this place. I love it and am so upset that our vacation is coming to an end!!!

4 Thank luvthebeach08

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Florida
Reviewed April 7, 2009

Do not confuse the resort with the tacky convention center with old & run down hotel rooms. They will rent the hotel rooms at [--]. They describe the beautiful pools & hot tubs (which was a big must for our family), however, if you stay at the hotels you cannot use the (1) hot tub at the resort. I guess the resort can use the hotel pools (2), but the hotel patrons cannot use the pool at the condo unit!! The staff forget they are renting hotel rooms when you make your reservation and will tell you anything to rent these tacky rooms! Beware!! They are 2 seperate buildings on the same property, and this site has listings for both the condo and the hotel. People get confused because they do not explain this on the phone. They are too happy to say yes and take your credit card number. I will never stay at either condo or hotel again and will tell all friends of my experience.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank FloridaLynn

Travelers are raving about these Panama City Beach hotels

indianapolis
Reviewed February 24, 2009

Just a quickie review about outstanding customer service:

My kids (3 teens) and I were fortunate enough to take a mini-Florida vacation last week. Our hotel was booked (awesome price, thank you Sidestep.com!!), our bags were packed, and we were stoked!

One problem.

Our schedule dictated that we would be arriving in Florida at about 2:00-ish am and our hotel reservations didn't kick in until 4:00pm that day. Hmmm....dilemma! Not to worry though. I trust and use Sidestep so much for all our travel needs (as I do TripAdvisor!!) so I sat at my comp THE DAY WE WERE LEAVING to find a hotel THAT NIGHT in Panama City Beach, FL.

We found one at an unbelievable rate of about $44/night: oceanfront & awesome to boot! But that's only half the story.

God Bless the nightclerk (we were told her name was Poppy) who checked us in. I must've looked bedraggled (is that a word, lol?) as I entered the hotel lobby, fresh --- er, UN-fresh rather, from a 12-hour straight through drive from Indianapolis.

With printed-off paperwork in hand (makes check-in so much smoother!) she took care of us with the utmost courtesy and in my opinion, went above and beyond. (When I checked out later that day, I informed the frontdesk that I'd be writing a review of their wonderful hotel and more importantly, the super sweet lady who checked us in. She was nowhere to be found, but we were told her name was "Poppy." So, Poppy..this goes out to you):

The check-in went smoothly and I was glad for that because I was both excited yet tired from the long drive. She automatically set us up for late check-out because of the early hour (and how I must've looked, I'm sure, lol!).

But what came next floored me.

I thanked her for her kindness, scooped up my room keys and started to turn around to walk away. Before I could, she reached under the counter and pulled out a sparkling bottle of bubbly and two monogrammed crystal champagne glasses. I was stunned and said, "Awwww...what is this?"

"It's Valentine's Day," she said with a smile. I couldn't contain my gratitude; things like this just slay me emotionally . Call me a mushbucket, I don't care, :>). She asked something about if I had a 'signifcant other' to which I shook my head. "It's just me and my kids," I said. With that, she reached under the counter and pulled out two more beautiful champagne glasses. Before someone calls Child Protective Services, my kids drank cola out of their glasses. The bubbly was quite tasty and such a wonderful touch. You go, Boardwalk Beach Resort!

My guess is that the 'special touch' was probably for couples paying top dollar for accommodations---not some single Mom who skated in with three teens in tow taking advantage of bargain basement hotel prices she lucked into on the internet. I could be wrong, but I don't think so...

As I gathered the crystal glasses and the bubbly and the room keys and the paperwork, I thanked her profusely and headed to my car. My kids were amazed by what they saw. Then my oldest son, 19, said, "Mom...she's trying to tell you something...I think she said to wait." I was almost seated in the car when I quickly exited to see her scurrying out of sight around the corner in the lobby of the hotel. I met her halfway in the lobby to help her out. You see, she had an ARMFUL of goodies to bestow upon us.

"I just went ahead and got all of you two each," she said as she transferred the booty from her arms to mine. I had no idea what these gray plastic bags were but I knew it must've been good! I thanked her and thanked her and thanked her and got in my car.

Not until we got to our hotel room did we discover the contents of our bountiful bags: lots of stuff; high-end stuff, cool stuff (!), name-brand stuff: like an expensive razor, toothpaste, hair ties, BIORE facial treatment creams and lotions, Pepto-Bismol, gum, and lots of other goodies that escape my mind right now. I mean, these bags were packed with really nice, useful things you need when you're away from home AND SHE LOADED US UP WITH TWO EACH! Wow...again, you go Boardwalk Beach Resort Hotel!

I highly recommend this hotel---both for the courtesy of the staff and the overall hotel experience. One thing to note however (and this could've been because I was tired and not entirely aware of my surroundings): we had to park in one area of the hotel lot and walk a good distance to our hotel room. Seems the pool and palm trees are in the way of being able to park 'right at your room door or close proximity thereof.' If there was closer parking, I didn't see it. But it didn't matter to us.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
5 Thank 1happytraveler
Lakeland, Florida
Reviewed February 2, 2009

Ok...this is long, but I have lots to say!!

I went to this hotel with my mom and boyfriend for a church vacation in October of last year. We stayed at this hotel because it was right at the conference center we would have to go to. My mom had already booked the room when I started reading these other reviews.

Needless to say...I was terrified!!

Almost every single review I read said it was roach infested and disgusting, the people were horribly mean, etc. Please believe me when I say...this was NOT true!

I mean, don't get me wrong, the rooms aren't very big or like some fancy hotel...of course not. But I never seen even one tiny little bug in my room that we stayed in for around 8 days. There was a big stain on our floor, that was about it. And we were on the 4th floor, maybe that helped with the bugs. The air conditioning worked perfect. ...We really had no problems. It was awesome.

The people were polite, we had no problems. There are a lot of people in reviews complaining about not getting any extra towels or anything most of the time. We kindly asked the cleaning lady when she came by and she gave us 4 extra towels and 2 extra pillows. (They are a bit small) But she gave them to us right away, no questions asked.

Another good plus is that the beach is literally RIGHT outside. It's really pretty with soft white sand. I went and walked out by the water every single day and it was beautiful. (Actually my first time ever being to the beach). It was October, but since it's Florida it was still hot out usually. The pools got a little cold on one side because the building wouldn't allow the sun to hit it. But the ocean was nice and the pool on the other side wasn't too bad either.

ALSO...just a tip. There is the bigger condo hotel over to the side of this which of course is a lot nicer. But along with that, there is a LOT more people. I would walk outside and look over to the left and there would be a big crowd of people bunched up together on the "rich hotel side" and we would have the entire beach practically to ourselves. It was awesome.

Anyway, that's about all I have to say. I NEVER right reviews (this is actually my first one ever)...but all the bad reviews on this place make me sad and I wanted to share what an awesome time I had. I mean, I went to the place not expecting luxury service and you really shouldn't if you plan to go there. It is a little run down cheaper hotel...what do you expect? But I didn't have one thing to complain about. It was a very nice, relaxing vacation. :D

I'll probably add pics if I have them still. :)

• Liked — So close to the beach
  • Disliked — I couldn't stay longer!
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank simplyme215
nashville tn
Reviewed January 19, 2009

I booked this trip directly through the boardwalk site. My sister, father, and another couple also booked the same week in three seperate condos here. When we checked in we were told we had been "UPGRADED" to another property. We explained our situation and there was nothing they would do to give us another or different style unit. I was told sorry all I can do is cancel your reservation, remember I am at the check in desk with people waiting on me at the pool. We were forced to take the unit one mile down the street with no ammenities. I was told I would be moved back mid week but never any openings. I called directly and did not tell them of my situation just did they have any openings and they said sure all we need is a credit card number. So they did have units they were just trying to sell them to last minute travelers when I had made my reservations six months in advance. I was also charged an ammenity fee of 160 when I checked out for a hotel with no ammenities.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank lele123
Louisville, KY
Reviewed January 1, 2009

We were booked into this hotel as participants in a local holiday BB tournament and were apprehensive after reading the reviews. Our room was perfectly adequate, including a microwave and a small refrigerator and the ocean view was extraordinary. The rooms were clean and were serviced daily by competent, friendly employees. The location is excellent!

• Liked — The beach and sunset view were outstanding.
  • Disliked — Public areas were a bit shabby.
  • Stayed December 2008
1 Thank mlindab
STUART
Reviewed August 31, 2008

My daughter & I arrived around 4 pm for a 2 night stay at Panama City Beach. That evening as we were getting to go for dinner, I spotted a tiny roach and killed it. Quickly I saw another and did the same. I didn't mention this to my daughter, knowing she would freak out. We went to dinner and came home around 10 pm and got ready for bed. I fell asleep around 11 and was awakened by my daughter shouting, "MOM, THERE ARE ROACHES IN HERE!!" As many as we killed, they were still coming. I called the front desk and Phil told me that would either send the maintenance man around to spray or he could put me in another room. I chose to go into another room, so we were packing up to move at 11:45 pm. We went to the office where Phil gave me a key to a new room...the only room he had left, he said. We went in and inspected the room, and it TOO had roaches around the window!! I went back to Phil and told him. He said he could put me in a different building and gave me another key. We went to check out the room, only to find that it was OCCUPIED by another guest!!! I walked INTO the room of someone else!! These rooms had no security chain or bar at all. It occurred to me that someone could have just as easily been given the key to OUR room and walked right in. I went back and told Phil that he had given me the key to someone else's room, and that I was ready for a refund!! Another Boardwalk employee was standing there for that exchange between Phil and me. He asked how old the people were in the room, and I replied that I had not actually SEEN a person, only the evidence that someone was there...pillows propped on the bed, a shaving kit, the TV on, and the smell of someone just having taken a shower. Phil did ask me what kind of bugs we had seen. NEVER did I get an apology or anything. Then to top it off, Phil tried to send me on my way without returning my credit card to me. It's hard to believe that others staying at that hotel weren't crawling in bugs too. I still get the creeps just thinking about it! At midnight we finally were able to get on with trying to find a place to stay. I'll never go back there and I would recommend that others bypass this hotel. Deb & Roxy

• Liked — The proximity to the beach.
  • Disliked — The roaches who seemed to have permanent residence there!!!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family