“AVOID AVOID AVOID”

Casa Loma Inn
Ranked #32 of 48 Hotels in Panama City Beach
“AVOID AVOID AVOID”
Reviewed April 29, 2005

Wow, has this place deteriorated! Stayed here a couple of years ago and it was ok (the beautiful beach made it tolerable). Maybe it was the hurricanes, maybe just lack of upkeep, but it has gone downhill. This is a true dump. Surly manager with a 'couldn't care less if you stayed here or not' attitude. They somehow booked us in a smoking room, where I choked on the smell upon entering. Went back to the office and seemed to miff the manager with a request for non smoking. Didn't matter much--same smell but no ashtrays.

The 2nd floor is actually parking lot level, and whenever we left the filthy room to go outside, we had to walk through and around bikers, drifters, and people of questionable character. That's if we dared to, as the bikers left their unmuffled choppers either idling or thunderous gunning most of the day.

"Heated" pool was obviously not, and a cold April made the temp around 68. Room felt really sticky even if the cleaning staff--bless their hearts-- tried to keep the old rooms from being overcome with mildew by using lots of bleach. Do yourself a favor and AVOID the Casa Loma.

• Stayed April 2005
17 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Czech first
Clinton Township, Michigan
Reviewed March 10, 2005

I just returned from my spring break today and I found the Casa Loma to be a pretty good place for a college spring break. By that I mean that it was clean, had a nice view of the ocean, and a good beach. The pool was kind of small and there was no hot tub which disappointed me. It was an older place so if you aren't a college student you might not be impressed. I'm not sure what the rate is for a non-spring break time of year but I felt we paid a lot for what we got (about $160 per night). The shower was bad, the water would turn scalding hot every 2 minutes and almost burn you. I think the Holiday Inn Sunspree would be more fun because they have a lot more set up on the beach along with a better pool and a tiki bar, but of course it is also more expensive which is what kept us away. Overall I would say that if you are just looking for a place to stay for a college spring break the Casa Loma is a pretty good option but other than that I would look for something a little nicer.

• Stayed March 2005
4 Thank kmarie922
greatgrandmother2, General Manager at Casa Loma Inn, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
I would like to thank you for the remarks and wish we had been able to accommodate you that early in the morning however with us being beach front we sell out every night and check out is not until 11 am therefore we could not have gotten any one in earlier than 2 pm and Hampton inn is not beach front so feel sure they were not full. I will check the beds as I do remember you when you first came in to the lobby. Again I do apologize for your loss of sleep and ask you to please give us a call ahead of time so we can reserve both nights for you. We will be addressing
the remainder of the hotel with new mattress and box springs as soon as possible. Please give
me a personal call and I will be happy to accommodate you and take care of your every need
on a return visit.
Reviewed February 20, 2005

We absolutely loved this place. Not only was the staff super friendly and warm, but the hotel was also clean and nice. We got a great deal, which make us kind of leary of the place at first, but once we got there and saw the room we were happy. It is an older hotel, but for what we paid ($40/night!) it was perfect. Every room has a beautiful ocean view, and is set up really cute and tropical inside. We give it a thumbs up!

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 27, 2004

this place rules!! not sure what all the bad reviews are about but we had the time of our lives!!! would recommend it over anywhere else. if you have any place to choose in panama city choose casa loma. just leave two rooms for us. (preferably smoking please)

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 26, 2004

Had the same thing happen to us as the people from TN. Had a weekly rate of $299.00 and only stayed three days before they said we had to leave because of Ivan. Can you believe they charged us the daily rate of $88.57 after tax per day now that stinks. Don’t Stay here, you would enjoy a tent on the beach at high tide better! I hope the attorney general can do something because it was gouging at it’s best!

• Stayed September 2004
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Panama City Beach hotels

old hickory tn
Reviewed October 23, 2004

rate 299 wk when hurricane ivan came was charged $80.00 a day after we had to leave, lots of unhappy people got ripped off. these people will tell you on thing but will not follow up. filed complaint with attorney general, gouge law

• Stayed September 2004
8 Thank pops5155
Reviewed September 14, 2004

I should have read these reviews before I went. I had reserved a room months in advance for $399.00 + tax (about $441/$56 a night) for eight nights. I arrived 9/11/2004 and was told by the motel to leave 9/14/2004 because of hurricane Ivan. Yes, I was told by them to leave, so I go to settle my bill and they tell me I owe them $361 for three nights. According to them, I don't get the weekly rate because I didn't stay the week. Could this be a form of price gauging? Oh yea, three nights and killed two roaches. Anyone have ideas what I can do? Please e-mail me. Wasted money, wasted vacation time from work and a very sad 4 year old.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member