“Definitely WON'T be back!!”

Origin Beach Resort
Reviewed July 31, 2011

We planned our trip to Origin at Seahaven well over a month in advance since my husband was returning home from Iraq and retiring from 20 years with the military, and we were long over due for some quiet time together. We even called a couple of times to make sure we had a complete understanding of what services would be provided. We even explained that we would more than likely arrive a little early and the lady said "No problem! You can check in early if you arrive early!" So, upon arrival, we stopped by to let them know we were there (we did arrive approximately 2 hours early), and they took our number and stated they would call when our room was ready. Not that big of a deal, but when we arrived back at 4 (since they didn't call) to check in, we were informed that our room was STILL NOT ready! We sat in the lobby for almost an hour with our belongings and when my husband told the young lady at the counter that this was unacceptable, she shrugged her shoulders and said "all I can tell you is check in is at 4!" It was AFTER 4 at this time!! When we asked to speak to the manager, we were told he was "somewhere walking around in the building." We finally get the key to our room at approx 4:45 p.m, no apology, no offer to check out late, nothing (nor did we receive our free drinks upon arrival or the wine tasting offer that came with our reservations). The room was OK at best, the T.V. cover on the front was broken, the dresser was covered in dust/sand, the bed skirt was filthy, carpet has stains, and the bathroom has a whole in the wall behind the door. We didn't have any towels the ENTIRE weekend (we drove up the strip to Wal-mart on Friday to buy our own towels) because apparently when they send their towels out to be cleaned, they don't return them! We flushed the toilet, and the handle completely broke!!! They sent someone up that night to check it out, and they informed us that we would have to keep the back off the toilet and pull the small plastic piece in order to flush till Saturday when they could fix it! DISGUSTING!!!!! (room 605 now has a metal handle instead of white because they replaced the entire thing) They also need to replace the mattresses in room 605 as there is a HUGE dent in the middle of the bed, very UNCOMFORTABLE!!
The staff is unapologetic about everything, and they are very rude! We didn't get a hello, enjoy your stay when we came, and we didn't get thanks for staying, have a safe trip when we left! The guy at the counter this morning looked at us if one down, many more to go!
With the money we spent staying there, I would recommend to ANYONE, stay somewhere else! Don'at be fooled into thinking your going to receive above level service because it's a condo. The staff again is rude, they never have towels, and they definitely need to invest some of those cleaning fees into actually cleaning the rooms. We come to PCB every couple of weeks when my husband is home since it's so close to home, but we will not return to Origin of Seahaven again! I got better service at the donut spot down the road!!! And the elevators SUCK!!!! Use the East or West ones, they seem to move a little faster as they aren't has heavily used!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mishell0729
OriginGM, General Manager at Origin Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2011

Dear Mishell0729,
The issues you experienced during you stay are as unacceptable to me as they were to you.
My sincere apologies for the many inconveniences you experienced. I hope you will contact me directly so I can speak to you personally about these things and make it right.
Robert Owens, GM

Reviewed July 30, 2011

The pictures make it look like the hotel is on the beach, but it is across the street, and the pool is on the 4th level. The pool does have a nice view of th water, and the building looks nice from the outside. Inside, however, is not so nice. The room was disappointing. Run down, worn out, dirty carpet. Bring your own pillows and use the extra blanket, because all are very small. Oh, bring coffee, sugar, and cream if you're a coffee person. There's a coffee pot, a fridge, a microwave, and a stove, but no extras like a real hotel.

Also, you should know there is a non-refundable deposit of at least $40 dollars for "damages." Also, there's a non-refundable cleaning fee of at leas $60 per night. Staff is non existant to very unknowledgable, at best.

The most upsetting part of our stay was the lack of sound proofing. You can hear everything in the halls when you are in your room, at all hours of night and early morning. The second night, the fire alarm went off, and most of the people staying in th hotel went out front, only to find out is was a false alarm. I didn't leave th room because I heard a bunch of teenagers yelling and laughing about "no fire" in the hallway while I was in bed trying to sleep. Put that together in your head...

The moral: Great if you're 21 and looking to party and stay up all night, if you can afford $475 for 2 nights in July.
Not so great if you have young children, or are looking for a quiet getaway.
We won't be going back! Not worth the money.

Room Tip: Save your money and don't get direct water view. View from east side was nicer. West would be ni...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sivananda777

Dear Sivananda777,
Thank you for letting us know about your stay with us. I’m sorry to hear you were expecting a hotel and the services they provide and did not know you were reserving a condominium unit. Our rates including fees are very competitive with other condominiums in Panama City Beach. Our website does detail our cleaning fees, damage waiver fee and a description of the property including we are directly across the street from the beach and that our pool is on the 4th floor. We do have a dedicated pedestrian cross walk and beach access. Our front desk is staffed 24/7 with locals agents who are very knowledgeable of the area. I apologize for the false fire alarm during your stay, unfortunately that was out of our control. We very seldom get complaints about noise being a problem in units and I’m sorry it disturbed you. We are a family condominium and during the summer season many guests are here with their children of all ages enjoying the pool and beach. We have security who patrol the building 24/7, respond to any noise complaints and enforce our quite hours.

Reviewed July 30, 2011

I arrived at Origin last summer (2010) after leaving another nearby hotel. I have read some reviews on here that stated their visit was bad and the rooms were dirty... I'm shocked. When my family, four children and myself, arrived in PCB, we checked in to another hotel for the same price. After five minuted in that place, my feet were black. Needless to say, I found Origin and we checked in a few hours later.

I was stunned at hour nice everything was. The room was immaculate, the bedding more comfortable than most hotels I've been in. Yes, the elevators are extremely slow. I don't think because they are over burdened, I think they just have slow response time. A problem many locations experience.

Our view was not "ocean front" but we could see the ocean from our room and it was beautiful.

The staff was all very polite and we had no problems with towels, toilet paper, or water pressure/draining. We did have an issue with the telephone being broken in our room. They never did send someone to fix it. Not really a problem anyway- I have a cell phone.

They do have fees, which were explained to me in detail before I agreed to stay. Then again, so did all of the hotels I checked out while in a mad hunt for somewhere (other than the first place) to stay.

I WOULD RECOMMEND ORIGIN AT SEAHAVEN TO ALL OF MY FRIENDS AND FAMILY and in fact have. Several of them have been guests and all of them liked it as much as we did.

I sincerely hope to book a room for my upcoming honeymoon!!!

THANK YOU ORIGIN AT SEAHAVEN for making my children's first trip to PCB such a great experience!!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family

Dear MBED10,
Thank you for your wonderful comments about Origin at Seahaven. I am delighted you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and that your children’s first visit to Panama City Beach was a great experience. I hope you will stay with us again for your upcoming honeymoon.
Best regards,

Reviewed July 29, 2011

origin is a really nice place. My son and I visit PC beach every summer, and for the last three years, we've booked at Origin. Nice condos--clean and the you can't beat the location. I booked our reservation with Bookit. com, requested an ocean front room, and when we got there, we had a lovely condo facing the forest and building's airconditioner. NOT! I immediately let the front desk know, and they changed it to a nice oceanfront right away,. thank Goodness. This is a nice place----a short walk to the beach, but you can see the ocean from your room along with the nightlife on Front Beach Rd. Sharkeys oceanfront restaurant is directly across the seat and the food is decent. The only thing that irked me is the $134 cleaning fee we were charged in addition to what was already paid when we checked in. Otherwise, a clean king bed/sleeper couch suite that was well worth the money. Love the jacuzzi that overlooks the beach, and the pool is very nice too. Good deal!

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay with us and for being a repeat guest. I’m glad we were able to move you to an ocean view room as requested thru Bookit.com. Ocean view rooms are a separate category of rooms and a higher rate and are not a request. I apologize that Bookit.com did not explain this to you. I’m very sorry to hear you were not aware of the cleaning fee. The Bookit.com website does detail these fees under the “Terms and Conditions” however many guests fail to click on it. Our rates are very competitive even with the fees added in comparison to other condominiums on the beach. I’m glad you enjoyed the hot tub and pool and we look forward to serving you gain in the future.
Best regards,

Reviewed July 28, 2011

I should of listened to all of the reviews on this condo. I figured how bad could it really be? Boy, was I wrong. We booked the room for 7/24-728 through Bookit. I was aware and ok with the cleaning fee and damage waiver fee until we got to our room.
First the positive; the staff was courteous at check in and they have a very nice parking garage. One of the complaints of the other reviews were that there was never ice, we did always have ice. I thought the bed was very comfy even though my husband did not like it, he thought it was way to soft.
The negative was our room smelled bad. We tried cooking bacon in the room to cover the smell and it did not help it. We asked the front desk for something. Needless to say we sprayed the entire room, floor and curtains and the smell was still there. When we came home all of our clothes smelled like the room. Second, the room was dirty, the kitchen floor was sticky and when we wiped it up after spilling some water our towel was black. There were fritos under the bed and a coke can inside of the pull out couch (which was broken and mattress had holes and stains). The pool was dirty and not very clear. Needless to say we had to go down to the 4th floor 3 times before getting towels. We were lucky enough to get towels once in 5 days. The bathroom was ok and decent size and smelled nice. The ceiling fan had dirt hanging down from the blades.
The condo could be a very nice condo if they could get a handle on the cleanng and upkeep. No one obviously never checks the cleaning people after they complete a room. For the hotel to be built in 2007, it is already run down.
The front desk did refund our cleaning fee of 60.00.
Please do not think this condo is in the quiet area either. It is located right on the strip with constant horns blowing and cars and motorcycles going down the strip.
This was my first experience of going to a beach and I wish it was better.
I would not suggest this place to anyone. BEWARE!!! I will not be back.
I forgot to mention, the elevators were horrible with extra long wait times.

Room Tip: Do your research before booking
1  Thank tishky1973

Dear Guest,
The issues you experienced are as unacceptable to me as they were to you. I will address your comments about room cleanliness and smell with the Executive Housekeeper. I will also notify the condo association about your comments on the pool. I do apologize for not being able to provide you with towels as needed. We have since ordered and received additional towels to help with the heavy usage. I would like the opportunity to discuss the issues you experienced in person and I hope you will contact me.

Reviewed July 27, 2011

Check in was GREAT, then down hill from there! Sheets on pull out sleeper sofa NASTY! Changed the sheets, and then two days into the trip, the kids who had the king sized bed, discovered BUGS in the bed. I went to the front desk and asked if they could send someone up to vaccum the bed and change the sheets and comforter. Did it happen? NO! When we returned to the room, we called the front desk and was told that someone came up, looked at the bed and didn't see anything, so they didn't change the sheets. Also was asked if WE had brought the bugs up from the beach?? REALLY?? Would NOT recommend this place to anyone. Good thing this is the end our trip!!!

1  Thank tammytac
Reviewed July 23, 2011

Arrived at the Orgin At Seahaven on 5/27/11 at 12:10 pm. We will be staying 6 nights. They allowed us to check in early this was great! Normal check in time is at 4 pm. "We checked the lobby later at 4" WoW what a line ! Glad we got in Early. We stayed in a King efficeny with beach view. With 2 adults and 2 children. Had to pay a cleaning fee. For our room was 50 dollars plus tax. Also had to put down a 250 dollar refundable deposit on our credit card. They also offered a 35 non refundable deposit. The hotel has a nice covered area to unload your Car. With covered parking. Best to take the east or west elevator. The center one is always busy and very slow. The room was layout and size was great. The room had a small fridge, two burner stove, little sink, toaster, blender, some dishes and coffee maker. Also had a great balcony.
Down sides the 1st day. Not enough towels in the room. You have to travel to the 4th floor for towels. No shampoo or condiationer in the room. Went to the 4th floor room to get supplies no one was there door was locked. Though had a sign that they were there from 10am until 7:00 pm. Went back to the room to call the front desk. Front desk said there should have been some in your room. I told here there was none. She was quick to say then you must supply your own. For lunch we desided to cook some hot dogs on the stove. The pots that were provided are horrible. The burner on the stove smoked badly. Thought the smoke alarm might go off!!! Good luck washing dishes later no spongle. Though LOL they provide a small hotel dish soap. After lunch we went accross the street to the beach.
The walk was not back. They have a path for Seahaven guests. We sat at some chairs that was marked Seahaven. We were quickly greeted by a young boy explaining we must rent the chairs for 30 dollars a day. WOW is this crazy ?? I explained to him I thought they would be free since we were staying at the seahaven. We were quick to move. Later went back to room to shower off and get ready for dinner. Shower tub would not drain. Practily filled up while taking a shower. Also the shower head was horrible. Must have been a 2 dollar one from walmart. Water practicly driped out. The ice machine one our floor never had ice. Good luck finding the garbage shoot. "Hint it is in the east elevator room." The tv was an old 27" box style and the dvd was not hooked up.
Day two with a good luck getting clean towels. The hotel supply room on the 4th floor does not open until 10 am. So you have to go to the front desk. Best to get clean towels at night so you have them in the morning. Also with the hotel knowing your staying 6 nights you would think they would put more toilet paper in the room beside the one on the holder.
So with a start on day three looking for tp. I was able to get a couple of rolls from the front desk. Came back to sit out on the balcony with the wife while our kids showered and got dressed. After a couple of minutes of relaxing we were over whelmed from the smoke of weed from a room near by. What a way to kill the mood! Had to go back inside. Off to wallmart. Though there is a target closer. Upon arriving back at the hotel and looking a parking space in the garage, I relized that the garage is the worst design I have ever seen. Good luck getting in and out!
Time for lunch. To bad the stove burner continues to smoke. Went to the pool afterwards. Real nice. With a great view of the beach. It is on the fourth floor. Had a good time at the pool.
Starting day four with getting ice on the six floor before the machine is empty. There is not one on each floor. Which is a real disapointment for any hotel. Next to take out the garbag. To bad it is a half mile walk from our room. Then down to the lobby for a morning clean towels. Later on the wife tried to cook some egg the the frying pan was horrbile. Also dont advice using the toaster looks to have a year of built up food inside.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Chris S

Dear Guest,
My apologies for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. I will share you comments with our staff in order to help us improve service.