We stayed at this hotel for the weekend during the tail end of our Summer vacation in the Florida Panhandle and New Orleans. We were very disappointed with our stay and actually were looking for other accommodations shortly after checking in. I was told when I booked this hotel that it is a 10 minute walk to the beach. I challenge anyone to walk to the beach from this hotel. There are two very busy streets you have to cross and a hectic Walmart before you get near the beach. Then you have to cut through other beachfront properties to get to the beach access. We woke up early and drove to the beach. Luckily we found quiet and free parking on the beach. Panama City Beach is not a sleepy, beach town in any way. The beach was wide but the water was murky and full of algae and seaweed. We were told this is not typical of the beach but we did not see any seaweed/algae in the water a week earlier in Destin.
Now to the hotel. As soon as we walked in, you are hit with a mildewy odor that permeated the property. It actually got worse in the room and we later found out that the air conditioner was full of mold and mildew. That could not be healthy for us. The floor in our room was filthy as well. On our second day after returning from the beach, there was an overwhelming smell of cigar smoke on the third floor where our room was. This is supposed to be a non-smoking hotel and when I reported it to the front desk, she told us she knew which room it came from and called the police on them. The pool is not fancy and did not seem clean. I witnessed a group in there with young children using the pool without swimsuits. They were just swimming in their underwear. That cannot not be sanitary and hygienic. Lastly, I noticed sketchy individuals in the lobby and parking lot throughout our stay. One night (8/3), there was someone loitering by the front desk trying to "sell" his room to anyone that came by. Since the hotel was full, potential guests that came in to inquire about vacancy were harassed by this person. The front desk person tolerated this person and allowed this to continue. She was not part of it and stated it was illegal but allowed him to stay there harassing guests and potential guests. I also noticed questionable people in the parking lot drinking alcohol, smoking and doing who knows what else. We did not feel overly safe here. In closing, we were not very impressed by Panama City Beach as a whole. Other destinations on the Panhandle like Destin, Fort Walton Beach and Seaside are much nicer. If we ever return to PCB, we will definitely NOT stay at the Country Inn and Suites on Clarence Street.
Tip - to get away from the all action and trashiness of PCB, head to historic St. Andrews on the other side of the Hathaway Bridge for harbor front dining, boating and shopping. Awesome food at Uncle Ernies or Gracie Rae's right on the water, nice little shops on Beck Avenue and live music and eclectic gifts ideas at the "Little Village". It was a great respite from hectic PCB and we may return just to hang out in St. Andrews. So quaint, low key and chill.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Country Inn & Suites is located in Panama City Beach, near the beach and is centrally located to all shops, restaurants and attractions. There are seven different room types to choose from and the hotel has an outdoor pool, business center, fitness center, meeting space and guest laundry facilities. It is also close to the nightclubs and there is a trolley stop in front of the hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Carlson, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Agoda, getaroom.com and Travelocity so you can book your Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Panama City Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Country Inn And Suites Panama City Beach
- Country Inn & Suites Panama City Beach Hotel Panama City Beach
- Country Inn Panama City
- Panama City Beach Country Inn