“Bad experiences from beginning to end”
Review of Firefly

Firefly
Reserve with OpenTable
Firefly is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Front Beach Rd.
Description: Casual Fine Dining at it"s Finest! Firefly specializes locally caught seafood, mouthwatering steaks seared on an 1800 degree broiler, wild game, fresh sushi and artisan pizzas. Winner of Florida Trend's Golden Spoon Award, OpenTable's 100 Most Romantic Restaurants in America, Urbanspoon's Top 250 High End Restaurant and Wine Spectator's Award of Excellence, quality of food and service is Firefly's mission. The atmosphere is more like New York City than Panama City. Firefly is the locals choice for a romantic night out, or a special occasion. Firefly has also played host to Country Music Stars, Heisman Trophy winners and the President of The United States. Firefly was one of eight restaurants selected to cook for the athletes and dignitaries in the USA House at the 2012 London Olympics. We want it to be much more than dinner, we want to treat you to a unique dining experience!
Dallas, Texas
“Bad experiences from beginning to end”
Reviewed September 26, 2013

First, let me say that my family and I are respectful people who try to remember that staff work very hard for little pay at restaurants... We always tip well, even when service isn't that great, because we do recognize the hard work it is...

We decided to go to firefly for a NICE dinner before we left to go back to Dallas. We arrived just before 6:30 without a reservation. She let us know it would be an hour wait. We were absolutely fine with that and happy to wait in the lounge area. There was a gal coming and going taking drink orders for those waiting... Yet she never came to us. I'm not sure why-- we couldn't figure it out. We tried getting her attention, but she never would turn around. After an hour and half, I got sick of looking at the 3 dirty margarita glasses and nobody ever coming around to get them, I picked them up myself and took them to a waiters tray. Didn't complain or anyting--just couldn't stand looking at them another second. GROSS.
Shortly after that, a hostess girl came up and said it would be a long time before a table would open up, and would we like to sit at the sushi bar? I asked her how much longer for a table at the main dining room so we could make a decision-- she said she'd check but never came back. We are pretty sure she forgot, because we kept seeing her bouncing around the place talking to other customers...
Finally, another hostess came up and offered us a drink (after an hour and 40 minutes of sitting there). We asked her the table situation and said we'd like to know before we order a drink... She came back and offered us the same sushi table. We had to ask again for how long the wait would be for the regular table. She eventually came back and said there was a table that would be open in 5 minutes in the dining room with our name on it. AWESOME! We never did get the drinks....
14 minutes later... they seated us. (WOOHOO!! PROGRESS)

Our waitress wouldn't let me make changes-- I despise peas, and that seems to be a common side dish to the meals. Fine, I ordered the 16 ounce steak only because it didn't include peas. Hubby ordered sushi, and our 3 boys ordered pizzas. I had a glass of wine and hubby ordered a margarita.
We had to ask for bread-- 3 times. She offered another margarita to hubby, but when my wine glass was empty never offered any refill, or alternative. So I was stuck drinking water.

Almost an hour and half after ordering our food, it finally arrived at the table! FOOD! FINALLY! The sushi quantity was HUGE. Quality so-so.
The pizzas were a joke and did NOT taste good. One son ordered extra cheese, but his had less than the one's his brothers ordered (but did not request extra cheese on those...)

The 16 ounce steak that hubby and I split was chewy and poorly cut. We know good steak-- we are from Texas. That was NOT good steak. the part they put on hubby's plate had 3 bites of meat, and the rest bone. The part they put on mine was so chewy, I left most of it. Veggie sides more raw than steamed.
Waitress never offered dessert.. Or more wine for me. Or more bread (even though we kept asking)
When I had ordered the steak, I asked for it to be COVERED (and I stressed COVERED) with their herbed butter. So I was frustrated when it came out with a dime size little drop of butter on top. Had to ask for more butter too. I did get some, but it was frozen when I got it. When I put it on the plate it made a plink sound. LOL (What the heck????)

It wasn't just our server Sherry that made our experience unpleasant. From the hostess girls, to the waitress, to the chef that didn't impress-- overall it was a bad experience.

It's weird too-- we've eaten out for nearly every meal while in PCB, and this is the ONLY negative experience we've had at all.

After we left, we had to go to the drive through because those nasty pizzas the kids nibbled on did't fill them up. Yeah, all that money and we had to go eat at fast food too? Lovely.

For the price of this restaurant-- what do you think?
Should I have to clear someone else's nasty drinks? NO.
Should we have to beg repeatedly for bread? NO.
Should we have to ask for dessert, wine, or or order to be correct?????? Hell, no.

It's a shame-- hubby and I really wanted to love this place. We really needed something nice, relaxing and really wanted to feel a little spoiled and pampered.

Wont be back and will be telling everyone -- facebook, yelp, urbanspoon and people I see in town to avoid this place.
Never have done that before in my entire life, but this place truly deserves it.

4 Thank Dana I

Connecticut
“Tin Ear”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I wasn't totally happy with my experience with Firefly. It wasn't a big deal, but when I mentioned it, Chef Paul made himself available. It seemed like a gracious gesture. Ever had a doctor so smug and self absorbed your input was an annoyance--that was Chef Paul. He didn't ask me a single question. He vented and that was it. A totally minor thing turned extraordinarily unpleasant.

3 Thank ted_ocallahan
Cropwell, Alabama
“Good food at Panama City Beach”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

This is one elegant place. Service was exceptional; everyone was so friendly. Our waiter, Murray, gave us just the right amount of attention and advice. Two of us ordered grouper; it did not disappoint.. I ordered salmon from the main menu (there were early bird specials that we did not use); the sauce made the dish. Crème brulee was served flaming (a nice touch). One cannot beat the atmosphere. It is a really special place; the atmosphere was very romantic, but we did see a couple of family outings for apparent special occasions.

Visited September 2013
River Grove, Illinois
“Great food and great service”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

The dining room was very pretty and inviting. Our waiter was very nice and quite attentive.

The she crab soup was so good, I could have made a meal out of that. I ordered the surf and turf; the steak was cooked perfectly and the lobster was tasty.

I will definitely come here again.

• Visited September 2013
“Best special eatery on PCB”
Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

Clean, Fun, Tasty and relaxing. Sushi, Steak and everything else is done very well. Special date night/nite spot. Highly recommend for couples.

• Visited June 2013