“Great Stay and wonderful front desk employees”

Palmetto Inn & Suites
Ranked #3 of 48 Hotels in Panama City Beach
Louisville, KY
“Great Stay and wonderful front desk employees”
Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

So I must say in past stays at PCB we have always stayed in the "resorts", so I was a little worried that the Palmetto wouldn't live up to our expectations, well I must say I was pleasantly surprised. We arrived a day early and thought we would grab a room somewhere well surprise everywhere we called was booked we called the palmetto and the lady told us that she couldn't get us in early there but she had a townhouse next door open for the night. The townhouse was nice and had plenty of room for our group for the
Night. The next day we checked into our actual room, it was the deluxe suite, the room was very nice and clean and had the supplies needed to cook and function daily. The wifi is kind of a downer since it is not in all the rooms and yes the signs in the elevators are a little tacky but overall the staff was nice and the rooms and pool area clean. Very nice for families and everyone we meet was very nice. So if you want to get away from 25 floor condos with 30 minute elevator waits and rows and rows of beach chairs this is the place to go....we enjoyed the stay and will return

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank seabiff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

Very enjoyable visit. Beds were comfortable. View was simply amazing. Favorite spots: on the beach sitting beneath the rented umbrella and on lounge chairs. Very convenient for running back and forth to our room; the balcony with pleasant view of the ocean; the pool for late afternoon relaxation, with plentiful seating; and the covered patio for dodging rain showers, meeting up with family, and meals prepared on the hotel's grills. We had a room with a good-sized refrigerator and stove, making it convenient to enjoy every moment of the beach, as we ate lunch and breakfast in our rooms. The gym, albeit small, was well appointed with state of the art equipment: 2 treadmills, 1 elliptical, a bike and free weights. An oscillating fan helped to keep the room cool. For serious exercisers, walking or running on the beach was difficult, as there was very little packed sand area, and we were constantly walking on an incline, leaning toward the ocean. Having a well-appointed exercise room was appreciated! Staff was very available to answer our questions and recommend the restaurants where locals go, as opposed to where the tourists go.

Like a previous reviewer, I was a little taken a back by the elevator sign. Made me a bit paranoid, that I could cause a problem and be slapped with an $850 bill. I wish our room would have come with a real frying pan for frying eggs. Instead we had more of a sauce pan that was aluminum rather than nonstick. Nonscratch scrub sponges would be helpful, as even cleaning utensils and glassware could be difficult with the provided dishcloths.

If we return to Panama City, we would certainly consider staying at Palmetto Inn & Suites.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank RussandAnne
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

For two years in a row, my family and I have stayed at this location and have been thoroughly satisfied. The staff was friendly and helpful if we ever had questions. Our rooms have always been very clean and stocked well with fresh towels, soaps and other amenities. Our balcony view of the beach was fantastic. The pool, spa and grilling areas are extremely clean. They offer many lounge chairs for sun bathing and relaxing. The beach are is also very clean and enjoyable.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Daniel T
Garland, Texas
Reviewed July 16, 2013

My wife and I just stayed here for a week.

We drove in and were quite worn out the evening that we arrived (at about 7 PM). We are both friendly, chatty people and tried to engage the front desk girl but her attitude was lackluster at best.

The hotel is definitely older. It really could use a complete make-over and update. For instance, none of the rooms have wifi; they have internet cables in the rooms but for wifi you have to go downstairs to the lobby. Are they not aware that most people don't use laptops anymore and that wifi is a necessity? And it really would not be that difficult to install in this facility.

When we first checked into our room my wife needed to use the restroom (we'd been on the road for hours). She flushed the toilet, as one properly does, but the toilet tank was not re-filling, thus making it impossible to flush again (I also needed to go). We called the front desk and they said they would send someone up. Over half an hour later a surly guy finally came up and said that there wasn't anything wrong with toilet it was just that the hotel had bad water pressure, especially during high use times like dinner time, and the toilet just fills really slowly. He said that it would probably take 4-5 minutes between each flush.

Then on the elevators they have these notes that we really found somewhat offensive. They are rather harshly written warnings that you absolutely not to hold the elevator doors open at all or it will break them and Otis will have to be called and you will be charged $850. Another says that if you jump at all on the elevator the same thing will occur. Well first off, sometimes when loading heavily laden luggage carts it can be necessary to hold an elevator for a second, or even to just politely hold the door for a second for a person who is running trying to catch it. And for a hotel that bills itself as family friendly . . . guess what sometimes kids jump up and down when they are excited. If your elevators are so crappy maybe you ought to get them fixed instead of threatening your guests.

Now since we were in hot humid Florida my wife did not want to sleep with the thick heavy duvet on the bed (besides the fact that we usually don't trust hotel duvets or comforters anyway). So she took them off and was just going to use the thin blanket out of the top of the "closet". When she got it out it was not clean, it had a huge semi-wet smear of what we hope was only dark lipstick on it. My wife went down to the front desk and told the guy there that she would like a clean blanket. His response was, I don't think we have any but I'll see if I can find one. About half and hour later he did finally come up to the room with the blanket.

The next morning, we were up and out of the room by 9:40AM. We are not really early risers but 9:30 is not late by any means. We had put out the do not disturb sign the night before, but we removed it when we left the room to head down to the water at 9:40. We left a $10 tip for the maids along with a note with a couple of specific special instructions, like "no need to put the duvet back on the bed, just make up with blanket." We were in and out of the room all morning and early afternoon and kept noticing that room had not yet been cleaned but we didn't really think anything of it. At 3:30 we left to go do an activity and did not return until about 7:15. We walked in and the room had still not been cleaned. My wife called the front desk and the kid said, "well when they came by your room this morning the do not disturb sign was on the door so they left your room alone." My wife told him that we had taken that sign off by 9:40 AM and said that they should have come back and checked again. He responded rather rudely, "well they've left for the day, what do you want me to do about it?" At the very least we needed clean towels so we had him bring us up a set of clean towels. For the rest of the week we made sure each day that we told either the front desk or the maid staff that even though we were not leaving the room until 9 or 10 or 11, whatever, that we still wanted our room cleaned.

The overall friendliness of the staff was really just not there, and we felt that we were treated rather poorly.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank A_Shane_C
palmettoinn75, Guest Relations Manager at Palmetto Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. It’s always disappointing to hear when we do not meet guest’s expectations. I would like to address some of the issues you had with us.

Let me be the first to apologize for the issues that you had with housekeeping. There is no excuse for a blanket to be left in a guest room that has a stain on it. I also apologize that you did not get service the first day of your arrival. Even if a guest has a “Do not disturb” sign on their door housekeeping is instructed to double check those rooms before they leave to see if the sign has been removed. So I do apologize that they missed you on your first day. I appreciate you bringing this to our attention and we have addressed these issues with the staff already. I do hope that their service was satisfactory for the remainder of your stay.

Usually our front desk staff is very friendly so I am surprised by your comments. I can’t imagine anyone at our desk responding in the way you said. All of our front desk staff have been with me for a very long time and have shown nothing but a friendly rapport with our guests. With that being said I will definitely address your comments with them. I would like to offer an explanation on why it took him longer to get your blanket. If we didn’t have it stocked in the back room then he probably had to go across the street to our main housekeeping room to get it. Since he is also responsible for working the front desk, which can get very busy, it probably took him a little longer than expected.

Yes, I am aware that most people do not travel with laptops anymore and are using tablets, phones, etc. We are looking into providing WIFI for our guests; however, it is not as easy a task as you seem to think it is. At the moment, we offer FREE high speed internet in every room with FREE WIFI hot spots in the lobby and snack bar. We would like to keep it this way without having to pass a charge onto our guests. That also seems to make guests unhappy. Trying to find a way to do this is proving to be very difficult and very expensive. But it is definitely a work in progress.

I’m a little taken aback that you were offended by the signs on our elevator. Those signs are there for the safety of our guests. It’s to help them understand, not threaten them. The last thing we would want is for a guest to spend their vacation time trapped on the elevator having to wait for a repairman to come and get them out. Let me assure you that our elevators are not “crappy” elevators. They are VERY expensive and top of the line elevators – way above what most condos and hotels on this beach have. Since they are high speed elevators they are sensitive. To give you an example – we had a group of 4 people get stuck on the elevator because one of the kids was doing cheerleading jumps which tripped the brakes on the elevator. A little hop from an “excited kid” is not going to trip the brakes. And yes, we received an $850 bill for that. As far as the sign for holding the doors open - we are not referring to guests politely holding the door open for another guest or holding the door for the luggage cart. We are referring to guests who physically try to pry the doors open with their hands once the doors are closing. That will cause the doors to jump off track. There is a button you can push in the elevator that will open the elevator doors automatically.

We do appreciate you taking the time to leave a review. We always appreciate guest feedback whether it is positive or negative. I always respond to negative feedback because I want to take the time to offer an explanation on how we operate (i.e., internet and elevator) so the guest can better understand. I also like to acknowledge when we are at fault (i.e., housekeeping) and offer a sincere apology. Unfortunately our hotel was not a match for you and your wife. Hopefully you can find another establishment to your liking.

Christa M.
Guest Relations, Palmetto Inn & Suites
Picayune, Mississippi
Reviewed July 15, 2013

For the past 5 years, we have been going to the Palmetto for the Howell family reunion as PCB is where we spent our formative years on vacation. Very nice, recent, family-owned property that always exceeds our expectations. Several of our family have already booked their rooms for the 2014 get-together. We enjoy the pavilions on either ends of the property with the gas grills and also the pool/spa area in the center. Very clean, excellent staff and outstanding views from every room. Excellent value and we will be there next year.

Room Tip: Queen suites are two-room, spacious and have a huge balcony overlooking the gulf.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank James H
Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

This was my first trip to PCB, Fl and the first time to stay at the Palmetto and my friends & I were very pleased. From check in to check out, everything was done efficiently and with great humor & friendly professionalism. We had a 2 Queen Suite that truly was a friendship saver - four strong willed women together could've been disastrous! The close proximity to the pool, beach & Gulf was just what we wanted. I highly recommend this hotel for anyone who wants a relaxing stay.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Shermella
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We were pleasantly surprised by this hotel. It is older and not very fancy, but for the price you can't beat it. Super clean, beautiful views of the ocean from the balcony, and very nice staff. The rooms were a nice size too! Make sure you go to Thomas's Donuts for breakfast, just down the street a few blocks. Best Donuts we have ever eaten, (they have been written up in Southern Living Magazine), just get there early because there is always a line. One thing we really enjoyed was the huge map of the area showing all the restaurants that was hanging in the lobby. We never did get lost! The pool was nice, but the hot tub is looking its age. It definitely needs an overhaul. The beach is gorgeous and you can rent chairs and umbrellas right in front of the hotel (or bring your own like we did). I think the cost was $20 - $25 a day. Small snack shop in the lobby and you can buy ice for $2.00 a bag. If there is anything at all that you have forgotten, just ask. We brought home some cake one night and had no forks to eat it with, and they gladly gave us a plastic one. They have free samples of certain things in the lobby if you have forgotten yours, such as toothpaste, razors and breathe right strips. Very nice touch. We will be back for sure!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple