“Neglected and aweful”

Shores of Panama Resort
Reviewed May 16, 2014

Our condo was clean and as expected. That aside- the facilities are filthy, pool fees are outrageous and the staff (specifically the female walking pool area) is horrible. We got stuck in an elevator- the emergency call button doesn't work. Screaming for help, the lift finally stop jerking up and down and let us out . The staff didn't care nor apologized. The pool area has many rules- the staff decides which rules to enforce and changes day to day and person to person. Having my 12 year old yelled at for not wearing his pool bracelet by the female pool nazi then the same pool nazi allows adults to keep the bracelet in their pockets (as my son did) was permitted.
The resort was not maintained over the years, staff doesn't speak highly of the accommodations either. Find a another resort - there are many more options to pick from. I wouldn't stay here again if you paid me.

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Rickysmom22
There are newer reviews for Shores of Panama Resort

Reviewed May 12, 2014

We have stayed here for several years and in the beginning it was great, but every year it gets worse and worse. The ''amenity" fee for using the pool is completely ridiculous! You have to pay nearly $30/day to use the pool and that charge is not included in your room stay. You have to pay this when you check in to get a wrist band to use the pool or access the beach from the condo. They now have "'enforcers" who walk around the pool area and make sure you not only have your armband but they make you wear them at all times! Another new policy that the pool nazis are enforcing is no coolers. After paying the outrageous fee for using the pool, you cant even bring a small cooler of water (or in our case, baby food, juice and pedialite) to the pool area. Again, they have people walking around checking to make sure there is nobody with a cooler in an effort to force people to buy everything from the bar at another ridiculous price. Then when you have finally had enough harassment at the pool deck, you try to make it up to your room and the elevators are out of order. Every time I have stayed here, at least two elevators have been out of order! The location of the condo is excellent and the pool deck is amazing, however, I would NOT suggest staying at this place. Whether you're here for a family vacation or a group of young folks looking to have a good time, this place is NOT the place for you!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
6  Thank Buddy J
Reviewed May 10, 2014 via mobile

After 2 hours and going to 3 different places I was finally able to check in. You don't check in at their desk. Parking is terrible. Staff is rude. Room was nearly impossible to find. A/C doesn't work properly! Blood on the hall on the 16th floor.

Stayed: May 2014
5  Thank Joanna steinert
Reviewed May 4, 2014

So not to play devils advocate, but I've been to this resort twice, and both experiences have been super. I don't doubt that people have bad experiences but if you consider the mathematical calculation of the size of the resort and number of people who come and go,these few negative experiences are just a drop in the bucket in the grand skeme of things. So first of all I've rented from were owners so the condition of our units were superb but the credit goes to the owners for well kept units, the resort itself can't be blamed or credited for that particular element unless you rent directly from them. The first time I came with my two children and parents and the other time just us as a couple for bike week.
Firstly, be an educated consumer and be aware, which we were, that if it's not included in the costs of your unit, there is a resort fee based on the size of your unit per day if you choose to use the amenities there(the pool, workout room). We used this for our trip with the kids but for us adults we just used the public beach access beside pineapple willies and didn't pay extra $ for the armbands.
Each time when we've arrived there has been a gentleman, a bellhop I presume who has been very professional in directing us where to park and process to check in. For bike week there was specific parking for bikes if we chose to park there and plenty of space for our trailor. For a family anywhere we wanted to park was fine as long as it wasn't marked reserved. Some units come with a reserved spot, but ours did not. The facility does require a parking pass which was no additional cost to us, which we got at our leisure after we unloaded. There was no line and a brunette female was very professional and answered a few questions we had.
The condition of the property appeared very well kept. Every morning there were multiple hotel associates cleaning out the pool, vacuuming, scrubbing, spraying off the pool deck. There was regular presence of hotel security in a golf cart cruising through the garage but never once saw them harassing anyone, just doing their job. The elevators did have screens that were broken on this last trip but no smell if urine as mentioned in another review.
I really like this property. It's in a great location. The resort hands down has the best pool for kids. The pool is beautiful and has one part that is zero entry, and is large enough they aren't overly crowded. When we went there was a kids club that was always doing really neat crafts and activities such as sand art, ceramic painting, and tshirt art that we still have. For bikers there is an alley up front for bigger trailers since clearance is 6'8" in garage and if you don't need that there are plenty of spaces in the parking garage for trailers and bikes. The location was perfect for all the rally events going on, several events less than a mile away.
I just wanted to share our positive experiences that we have had because people usually don't make as much effort to post the positive as they do the negative.
Keep an open mind with any reviews. Resorts can't be responsible for things that are out of their control. No place is perfect. Often rules and policies are there to protect you.

• Stayed: May 2014
5  Thank 1976nurseRn
Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

Shores of Panama has a convenient location to the bare necessities- to me that means walmart and good places to eat within walking distance. The view from our 1 bed/1 bunk gulf front is amazing. We booked a Mother's Day package through the resort rental staff directly which included beach chairs. The package also included a mimosa kit which they did not have ordered so we received 2 coupons for drinks at the bar, I much preferred this. Good drinks! The spa treatment (also included in the package) was great- 25 minute facial. (You could choose a massage but I prefer less hands on). The masseuse was very attentive. Now the not so good, the housekeeping turn staff is a little lacking- toilets were dirty, ceiling fans dusty, stove not cleaned, human hair in shower, towels stained, and shower curtain filthy. The other wear and tear items are typical of rental property (short and long term) and nothing in my eyes that was overly horrible. Oh and we could not use the indoor hot tub after a family with a baby told us a couple had just finished having relations in the hot tub/pool area. Now this is not the resort's fault, but I think an indoor security check may be beneficial. They do have security that walks around and arm bands with codes to scan for access to amenities. I think this is one of the most intelligent types of access systems I have seen- no trying to remember a key or access codes. One other thing- elevators are slow, which is typical of a 23 story complex. Would we return- yes, but I would make sure the room was a little cleaner or bring more cleaning supplies.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 26, 2014 via mobile

Security knocked on our door at 1:50 AM accusing us of shining a flashlight into other people's room. Me 33, my husband 40 and daughters 5 and 8 were sound asleep. We were awakened by someone with their finger over the peep hole shining a flashlight. Husband asked for her badge number and she said she would give it to us, but then said she didn't carry her badge with her. We called the police. There is no number to contact SOP to verify. Police came and produced Lorraine. My kids are scared to death. No apology.

Every night there is constant yelling, there is loud base music every night!!! elevator floor screens are broken (they are bashed in), so you don't know the floor until the elevators open. The elevators smelled like urine. Cursing everywhere. There was no security around except for the above incident.

This is my review of the property, my review of the room is equally as sad. Renter is Beach Fun Condos. The renter can't be held responsible for security and the room condition is not the responsibility for SOP. Unit 1112 was our unit. MAJOR ISSUE 1. Rented a condo with bunk beds. The rail was broken off of the top bunk. Although someone came on night one, it was unable to be fixed. I had to have my girls sleep together on the bottom bunk. Day two there was a second attempt the screw was stripped and the railing was taken with the caretaker. The railing was never brought back, making the bunk beds unusable. Like staircases, kids without bunk beds at home were really looking forward to them. The bunks were the MAIN reason I chose this level of accommodation. Carl, the renter, told us we had a sofa bed too, basically use that since the bunk was unusable. I didn't want to pull out a bed nightly and pick it up every morning, thus renting a unit with enough beds, to not have to use the sofa sleeper. We also had to leave the beach to be there when the woman was there to attempt fixing. We have photos of what was promised and the broken bed.

MAJOR ISSUE 2 The renter had our checkout date wrong. The one and only time he EVER called us was when he called Saturday to say we were supposed to be out of the condo. Our check out date was Sunday, we paid for 4 nights. He realized it was his mistake. When we got back to the condo the code on the door was changed. Locking us out until 3:45 PM. My husband needed his asthma medicine and it took over 20 calls and 2 texts to get a response. We have video of the code not working

MAJOR ISSUE 3 listed below is a list of minor cleaning issues, but two very major issues we encountered, BLOOD on the bedspread and gum stuck to the shower. Both of these issues have someone else's body fluid on them. Renter said the blood was self tanner, but the housekeeper mgr. agreed this was not tanner. It was blood. I have photos to detail this. Gum in the bathtub showed me the tub was not properly cleaned. Bedspread was replaced the following day, but again, we had to leave the beach to meet with the lady. Her going in alone with all of our belongings was not an option for us.

ISSUE 4 Lack of Cleaning.
Put bread on top of the refrigerator and discovered a thick layer of dust. We wrote in the dust to show the thickness of dust in our photograph.
Microwave vents were covered in a yellow substance.
Dishwasher control panel and handle had an orange sticky liquid on it.
Balcony had trash, Popsicle sticks and cigarettes on it.
Soap dish had soap in it
Tooth brush holder had hair and tooth paste on it.
Lamp had large water spots on it.
Silverware was crusted in something, we had to wash it ourselves.
Dust covered lamps, light bulbs and TV.
Patio furniture was rusting and rotting.
Master bathroom hair dryer not working.
Master Bathroom tub did not drain.
Coffee pot, blender and roster are all discolored and dinghy. We didn't dare use them. We have photos to document all of this.

I emailed Carl, several times leaving my phone number each time for him to call me. The Internet service and cell service is non existent. He would only email back, this keeping me attached to my phone and attempting to download email every ten minutes. Even when we were locked out he texted me the code to get in, no call yet again! The only time he called was to tell us we were supposed to have checked out!!

If you have a family, please stay someplace else!!!!

• Stayed: April 2014
9  Thank Jamesandcourtney2000
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Upon arrival we were informed we had to go to another hotel to check in pay them then come back and pay shores of panama a separate fee (strike 1).Then upon finally getting checked in we were excited about the room until we realized that everything was broken. The blender didn't work at all, the iron was melted and burned, the sink in one of the bathrooms was clogged, the door to the balcony was stuck then the maintenance man got it open and it wouldn't close or lock. We went to the front desk and was told we had to call the emerld view resorts where we checked in to get anything. We called several times and was put on hold for no less then 15 minutes every time. The unit was a beachfront resort and we had no hair dryers in our entire 3 bedroom 3 bath condo. We asked for one and was told we would get one and never did for the whole 4 day stay. After calling several times with no results we finally go to the resort where we checked in and from over $1000 we paid and all the trouble they put us through they refunded $140 cleaning fee plus $50 more for our troubles. I'll never recommend anyone stay there. It was a headache the entire time. Then after we left they charged my card another $40 for a broken statue that was broken when we got there, like everything else. EMERLD VIEW RESORTS ARE THE WORST.

Room Tip: Too much of a headache go somewhere else. Only thing good I have to say is it was a great view of th...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
5  Thank Jasmine W
James A, General Manager at Shores of Panama Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

The Shores of Panama consists of 709 condominiums. As with most condominium rental programs, these condominiums units are rented and serviced by various companies and many others are rented directly by the respective unit owner. In your case you rented from a separate management company - Emerald View Resorts who was responsible for your accommodations and experience. I would refer you to them to assist with your concerns.

Kind regards,