“Great for Some Children...Worried after reading reviews but it was Great!”

Splash Resort Condominiums
Pine Mountain, Ga.
“Great for Some Children...Worried after reading reviews but it was Great!”
Reviewed September 11, 2007

We just returned from a stay at Splash and it was wonderful. It is mostly centered around families espcially those with small children. Our party consisted of myself and husband with our 2 year old son, his two aunts (ages 13 & 20) and a friend(19). All of the kids had a ball.The Staff was great. Rooms a very very nice, very high class. We have been going to pcbeach for over 20 years and this is the best family place ever. A little father down the beach but well worth it. Close to the new peir park and Gulf World. A positive is you can take the back beach road and get every where pretty quick.We rented from an owner on vrbo and saved on the rates.
Some comments said no luggage carts and slow elevators. We counted 62 luggage carts on a weekend and the elevators were super quick and no other place we've stayed has had more than 4 elevators seemed sufficient and they do open by the pools but are closed off from them and in air conditioned foyers.as far as pool chairs they are plenty and even though pools are in the shade and cool to protect kids from sun all lounge chairs are in the sun as well as two pools to give every one the option of sun or shade.. There was also a time one pool was closed on sunday for cleaning and the lazy river was closed monday for cleaning but there were still three other pools a hot tub and play area open. The only negative was for a place to center on kids there was no ramp to beach for strollers or wagons and several of us moms were struggling up and down the stairs with strollers and or wagons.I would not reccomend this to singles or couples with no children but a must for families!

Besides this we loved it and will definitly be back..

• Liked — The many activities on site and wonderful rooms.
  • Disliked — That there was no ramp to beach for strollers and/or wagons.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank gagirl11

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Los Angeles, Californai
Reviewed September 4, 2007

We stayed at Splash in a lovely three bedroom unit on the 6th floor in the East Tower in early August. The unit has amazing views! Beach views from everywhere you looked and we were absolutely on the right floor, not too high and not too low. The foam mattresses were to die for. We all slept so well it was unbelievably comfortable. The service at Splash was so fast, so efficient - it's amazing that they have only been open for a few months. They have that place running like a well oiled machine. The Tiki bar at the pool was so convenient, the beach was beautiful, the Splash staff was so friendly and accommodating. Across the walking bridge there is a little coffee and ice cream store plus an Alvin's Island which was great because I forgot my flip flops, but for $5, Alvin's had them in all colors! The pools at Splash were so much fun. The kids couldn't stop laughing and playing and the best part was at night when they just pooped out and fell fast asleep from all the days activities. One afternoon when it rained a bit, we went to the arcade which is in the building. The kids bowled and played arcade games while the adults went to the beautiful gym and worked out overlooking the beach. Our unit had HBO which was great to have since I don't have it at home. I highly recommend Splash. We've stayed in many other buildings before in Panama City Beach, but none of them have the amenities, the waterpark, the lazy river, the gym, the wireless internet, the Tiki bar, the arcade etc., etc. We'll never stay anywhere else now that we've been to Splash!

• Liked — The building amenities, waterpark, the condo itself was so comfortable, the foam mattresses, EVERYTHING!
  • Disliked — Wish we could have stayed longer!!
2 Thank goldsilver33
Carrollton, GA
Reviewed August 27, 2007

The Good - I survived with seven adults (in laws included) and two kids under 1 year. Able to check in early. Plenty of luggage carts. Nicely appointed three bedroom unit in east building on first floor. Pools are cool, especially the shaded ones. Beach was clean and beautiful. Sunsets were nice. Kids splash around areas are very safe and super cool for little ones.

The Bad -
The lazy river is more like a lazy loop (takes less than a minute to go all the way around). People save chairs early regardless of the signs posted saying "Towels Don't Reserve Chairs, People Do".
Long walk to parking.

The Ugly
The staff is useless (don't ask because they don't know)
Bar only has wine based liquors (they apparently have a liquor license issue according to a bartender)
No food on site. Alvin's Island has a grocery but bread was $4+ a loaf!!! No milkshake tastes worth the $6 they're asking.

2 Thank jtyson
Louisiana
Reviewed August 24, 2007

We rented a 2 bedroom unit at Splash. It was total of 4 of us staying their during the Mardi Gras holiday. Myself, my husband, my mom and my 2 year old son. We were from New Orleans, LA tyring to get away from all the parades and drunks!
We stayed 3 nights total and the stay was absolutely horrible! We checked in late and of course, when we got to the place the security guard/front desk could not find our check in info. They finally found it after a half our of waiting. We get to elevators and one of the elevators had no walls on it, just a hard foam. We get to our room and our key doesn't work. So my husband had to walk back to the front desk to find out what was wrong with it. After getting in the room, we settled in and found that pictures weren't hung on the wall, mirrors too. They were just sitting up against the wall. We had no garbage can in the kitchen or wastebaskets in the bathrooms. I guess the person working in the room didn't finish his/her job. Tools, nails, tape measure, pen, pencil and paper were left on the kitchen counter and living room table scattered everywhere. We complained to the front desk/manager the following morning and left everything like it was so that they could see what it looked like in our room and all they could say was that they were sorry for any incovienience this may have caused us and that they weren't expecting this much business at that time and that they were very short staffed. We asked for a garbage can and wastebasket every day that we were their and they never brought one to us. So, I just threw my son's dirty diapers outside the room and a housekeeping person could pick it up when they passed.
I just can't believe that a new place like that had poor customer service and a very rude staff. There were other customers staying their the same time as us that were having similiar problems, but the staff did nothing to compensate us. I'm not looking for a free room, but when a room is not finished, then I deserve to pay half the price or get a comp on something!
Overall, the rooms furniture was nice, the beds were comfy, the bathrooms were clean, the view was amazing .... but, I will never stay their again!

• Liked — The gorgeous view!
  • Disliked — Poor customer service/Rude Staff
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
Atlanta
Reviewed August 23, 2007

We had a wonderful time at Splash and can't wait to return! We had no problem finding chairs in great spaces to enjoy the pool deck. Our kids enjoyed the kids water park and the other pools. All of us liked floating in the lazy river. Since there are pools in the shade as well as in the sun we found that we could stay down and enjoy the water much more than in previous vacations where we needed a break from the sun. We had no problems with elevators or anything inside our unit. The unit was beautifully decorated and very clean. We thought that the resort was kept very clean overall and even noted several employees mopping on the upper floors and cleaning the pool areas throughout the day - each day -for the entire week we were there. We had a ball and can't wait to go back!!

• Liked — Fantastic accommodations, pools, variety, beach, CLEAN!
  • Disliked — Having to go home
2 Thank twinbabyshopper
Montgomery, AL
Reviewed August 20, 2007

We spent August 17-21 at Splash. Overall we had a really good time. Our group consisted of two adults and an almost six year old. We didn't arrive until late Friday evening so finding available luggage carts was not a problem. The condo was probably one of the nicest we have ever stayed in. I was a little nervous after reading about the issues others had and asked for a lower level room anticipating that we would likely have elevator problems. However, we did not experience any lengthy waits. I believe the key here is.....don't go to Splash during peak times. I bet it is pure chaos during peak season. However, during our stay, the elevators were not a problem and the pool areas were not crowded at all. There were always chairs available. One thing we really liked is that several of the pools, including the water park are shaded by the next story of the building. The lazy river is small but was a big hit with our daughter and many of the other younger kids. The beach is VERY close to the pool area, so no long walk necessary. I read one review which talked about the slippery areas around the pool. I can't say I understand this. It is just textured concrete that has been stained. I didn't see any issues with that either. Overall, I would highly recommend this resort during early or late season to families with young children.

Stayed August 2007
2 Thank JsmomAL
St. Charles, MO
Reviewed August 19, 2007

We stayed at the Splash Resort in PCB during the second week of August. I was nervous about the trip after reading all of the bad reports. We had a nice stay, but I don't think we will go back.

The resort was nice, but the upkeep was poor. For a new resort, I expected it to be cleaner. There was mold growing on the side of the hot tub. The fountain at the entrance didn't work (the entire time we were there) and the carpet in the skywalk was filthy. We rented a condo through vrbo and it was beautiful. Granite countertops, large master bathroom and bedroom and great view of the ocean.

We didn't have to wait long for an elevator, but I think that was because we went at the beginning of the slow season. Most kids are back in school, so the resort wasn't too crowded.

The pools were okay. My kids enjoyed them, but there were two days when one of the pools was closed. Only on one occasion did I see a pool technician actually testing the water. The pools reeked of chlorine and I think they just poured in more chlorine to clean them; I never saw anyone using a net to remove any of the debris or gunk that was floating on top of the water.

The kids they hired to oversee the pools were poorly trained. They didn't enforce any rules. Kids were allowed in the hot tub, even though there was a sign 5 feet from the hot tub that clearly stated children 12 and under weren't allowed.

We didn't have any problems getting a lounge chair or a luggage cart, but, again, I think that was because it wasn't crowded.

The ocean had seaweed in it the day we arrived (Saturday) and it didn't totally clear out even on our last day (Friday). My husband and I swam in it a little, but it was a little gross. When we got back to our room and took a shower, there was a ton of seaweed stuck in our bathing suits.

On Tuesday, we rented a boat (from Scotty's, highly recommend him; very nice and reasonable) and went to Shell Island. The beaches there are beautiful! No seaweed, blue water and white, sandy beaches with shells. Go to the gulf side to find your shells. I found one tiny sand dollar, but I didn't go out very far. Other people I talked to said they found 15 or 20, but they went out farther into the water and dug down into the sand. We spent the day on the Island and brought a cooler with lunch. We also brought a beach umbrella. It is very hot and there is no shade. We picked up the umbrella at Alvins for $6. Well worth the price.

On Wednesday afternoon, we took the Pirate Ship cruise. The kids have sword fights, water gun fights, dance the limbo and the duck dance and get to find buried treasure. My 7 yo son loved it; my 4 yo son wasn't too crazy about it, but I blame myself, because we took the 2:30 cruise and I think he was tired. Take the 5:30 cruise to avoid cranky preschoolers! After the cruise, you can eat at the Boatyard (it is next door to the Pirate boat dock) and get 15% off your meal using your Pirate cruise ticket stub.

The Goofy Golf was fun. It was hot, but we enjoyed it and there was no one else on the course when we played, so we lucked out. The holes are unique and fun for the kids.

Food:
On Saturday night we ate at Spinnakers; food wasn't good and service wasn't very good. The playground is a chintzy swing set.

Sharky's has better food and a great playground for the kids; there is a swing set and a wooden pirate ship. We sat on the deck and ate and watched the kids play. After dinner, the kids played frisbee on the beach (the frisbee comes with their meal).

We ate at the Boatyard on Monday evening. The food was pretty good. My husband's shrimp was wonderful. I had the crab cakes and they were okay. Service was excellent.

Thomas' donuts are excellent! I walked there one morning and picked up a dozen donuts (cash only, same for Goofy Golf). These donuts tasted homemade, not from a mix.

Splash needs to make improvements in the water park maintenance and management. We have visited Great Wolf Lodge (in KC) which has a HUGE indoor water park and it is very well run and maintained. They have several trained lifeguards on duty. Each one has a post and wears a whistle and carries a big, red floaty thing (I don't know what it is called), so you can easily spot them. They are constantly pacing the length of the pool area, making sure the kids are safe and that no one is violating the rules. If they do, they blow the whistle and let the kid(s) know that they need to stop (in a nice way). We were in the kiddie pool area and some 10 or 11 year old boys came over and started going down the slides for the little ones. The lifeguard made them stop immediately. It was nice not to worry about older kids getting rough and hurting the little ones. There is a HUGE, separate hot tub for adults only and another one for adults and children. There was one time when a baby had an "accident" in the pool. The pool was cleared out immediately and the staff knew exactly how to deal with it (cleaned the pool, tested the water and put in chemicals to clean it, then tested the water again.) If Splash would hire lifeguards and train their employees to enforce the rules, I think it would be more enjoyable for all of their guests.

I read on here about "pool rot"; i.e., a skin condition that is caused by dirty water. We made sure to rinse off using the showers at the pool after we were done for the day, then would take a shower as soon as we got back to our rooms.

As for PCB in general, it is geared towards the Spring Break crowd. Next time we visit Florida, we will stay in Destin. We went through Destin on our way home and it is more family oriented. PCB has tons of tattoo shops and sleazy bars. Which is fun if you're 22 and on spring break, but no so much fun if you're out with your family.

3 Thank meand3boyz