“Mostly Good......But the Bad was BAD”

Splash! in Panama City Beach
Georgia
“Mostly Good......But the Bad was BAD”
Reviewed July 16, 2008

We spent a week (July 7-12, 2008) at Splash. Four adults and four children between 4 and 7. The kids loved it. Plenty of water activities with the lazy river, the water park, pools, etc. Our unit was great. Property employees were nice. Convenient to grocery stores, etc. Elevator waits were not as bad as I have read in the reviews. We had longer than average waits only one day out of the six. 90% of the time we waited 2-3 minutes at most. Carts were hard to find, but we managed to find one. There were plenty of parking spaces available in the deck directly across the street. Parking is not a problem, unless you are unwilling or unable to walk across the street (via a covered, air conditioned sky bridge).

The bad.....the beach was WAY overcrowded and very dirty. My biggest complaint was related to something that Splash management has no control over, but it still should be a concern to anyone considering coming here. We had rain on Saturday morning. Within an hour of the time it started raining, filthy black water could easily be seen piped from storm drain pipes directly into the ocean within yards of the Splash beach front. I took two pictures of this from our 12th floor unit and it is sickening to see what is being pumped into the beach swimming area directly in front of Splash where we were swimming. See the pictures associated with this review. The beach is empty because it is pouring rain. Within minutes the entire beach swimming area turned a dark black!! See the pictures and make your own mind up, but I will not go back there as long as Panama City is piping filthy storm runoff water directly into the ocean.

• Liked — Water activities for kids, nice rooms
  • Disliked — Crowded and dirty beach area; Dirty stormwater runoff piped directly into ocean
Stayed July 2008
1 Thank GA-Home

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Missouri
Reviewed July 13, 2008

This is probably the best place we have ever stayed at on the beach! Me and my family (there was a total of 18 of us there, 10 were kids) stayed here in June this year, and we didn't want to go home! We loved it! The room my family and my aunt's family stayed in was flawless! It was super clean and beautifully decorated and the views were gorgeous! We stayed on a corner unit on the 18th floor. We had three balconies over-looking the ocean, and alot of windows. The pools and lazy river were clean and we mostly swam in the shaded areas, which were nice. All of my cousins, including me, loved the pool area. The staff were never rude to any of us. The walk from the parking garage to the building was completely covered, so we never got wet during rain or anything. The only bad thing about this whole entire place is that it there is only 2 elevators per tower, so we had to wait sometimes. But the longest we had to wait that whole entire week was for about 10 minutes on Saturday when we arrived, because that's the day that everyone is leaving and coming.

If you want a nice place to stay for your vacation and want to have fun, definitely stay at Splash!

We loved this place and will definitely be back!

• Liked — The views, pools and beautiful rooms
  • Disliked — The lack of elevators; besides that, nothing!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Kennesaw
Reviewed July 13, 2008

2 towers, 21 floors each, 2 elevators. TROUBLE, you can literally wait for an elevator b/t 10-45 minutes.

40 luggage carts for both towers you can never find one.

the splash pool is directly under the buildings with no sun, the water is freezing for the kids and we were there mid July

rooms are ok, nicely decorated,

for the same or less money, alot of nicer places to stay. I would not go back for 1/2 price rooms, no reason for their oversights.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — elevators
wylie, tx
Reviewed July 11, 2008

I was so scared to stay here after reading all the negative reviews. We almost cancelled our reservations for Splash to stay somewhere else but i am so glad we did not. Splash was wonderful. We checked in on Sunday, July 6th...everything at checkin was smooth and we were even able to checkin 2 hours early. At that time there were plenty of carts. We stayed Sunday thru Thursday...checked out about 8:00am. No issues...very smooth. People keep complaining about the elevator...well we only had to wait one time for about 10 mins...that was on Sunday around 3:00 checkin time. Other than that we never had any issues wilth waiting. Our condo was beautiful and very clean.
Kids had a blast at the pools, on the beach and at the arcade. Finding a pool chair was never an issue for us and we would not even get to the pool until 11:00AM or later. I did call the front desk several times to ask questions and they were always friendly and helpful. I think Splash is a wonderful place and am glad i gave it a chance. We are already talking about going back next year.

• Liked — Condo, Location...Really everything
  • Disliked — No WiFi in Rooms
Arab,AL
Reviewed July 10, 2008

My Family and I just got home from our trip, from Florida and WE had so much fun. Our room was so beautiful and had pleanty of space. The kids loves the lazy river ride and the overall things that they had to do there. The only thing that was there wasn't any maid service we had to wash all of the towels ourselfs and the glasses too. But other than that we love the hotel and would stay there again anytime.

• Liked — the room was the best and we had the best view of the ocean as well.
  • Disliked — no maid service
Columbus GA
Reviewed July 6, 2008

My family expected a nice hotel, a clean pool, and onsite management. We are here for the week after July 4th. There is nowhere to park. The lot we are using is about a mile away. We were staying on the eigth floor. My son is 13 years old had had to witness a drunk man jumping on the elevator, and got it stuck. I know that this can happen anywhere, but no one responded to the emergency call button. We were stuck for 34 minutes. The elevator is not air conditioned and feels like its over 100 degrees. We all almost passed out. Nobody ever came to help us.Another guest on the outside pried the doors open. We had to climb out of the sweat box by ourselves. After we all climbed out, management never showed up to help. I am glad no one was in a wheel chair or disabled. There was not an inspection certificate on the wall or a phone. Nine different people had cell phones that would not work because it was obviously well insulated to keep the hot air in, even though we are in FLORIDA. This is our second day here and our last. I refuse to walk up 8 floors, and I will not risk any of my family members' lives in the sweat box that may or may not take you to the floor you need to get to. We are checking out and will probably drive 220 miles back home to Georgia. We should be refunded the week of rental fees that we already prepaid, but resorts of this quality, usually don't count care about people or customer service. I am not looking for anything for free, I just expect what I paid for, and this place is not it. I wish I would have read all of the negative reviews about this place before I planned our vacation here. Thanks alot Splash.

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — the elevator
1 Thank fromcolumbusga
Alabama
Reviewed July 5, 2008

My family visited Splash July '07. The resort was new and we expected a few complications. The design was obviously geared toward the entertainment of the children. I must admit, this is a great concept...the children are entertained while you lounge by the pool. Unfortunately, details regarding the daily life of a parent were excluded. (ie...trips back to the room, naps,etc.)
After a long trip, all we want to do is relax. Not at splash. The check in was excruciating and just getting to the room was a chore to say the least. I'm sure you have heard plenty of complaints about the elevators. Just remember ....you are staying in a resort full of kiddies .... some cutie will manage to push every button on the elevator (we experienced this several times during our stay...AGONAL) When we did manage to "catch" the elevator, we piled in and shared the experience with dripping wet strangers.....violating all aspects of personal space. Our room was nice, well furnished and clean. That is to be expected for the price. Who wants to stay in the room the entire vacation? The pool experience is not for adults. It was difficult to find a lounge chair and all pools were crowded. I decided to get up at 0430 on our second day to "reserve" a spot by the pool. By 0600 I was pool side and everything was great until about 1030 when several that chose to sleep in ( a very enjoyable aspect of vacation) started searching for a chair. Instead of resentment toward the resort, the hostility was directed to those already poolside with loud verbal complaints of people "hogging" the beach chairs. Instantly the "snooze you lose" rule was implemented (VERY relaxing I must say). As for being around other children...well, you are either tolerant or not. This is the Chuck E Cheese of resorts. I am usually a passive, laid back person .....this resort tested me. I like to follow up on the resorts I have visited and look for any changes that have been made. This is in hopes that maybe we can give them a second chance. Unfortunately, according to reviews,things have not changed and it seems the situation is declining. We travel to PCB or Destin at least 2 times a year...we will not return to Splash.

Stayed July 2007