“Terrible Place to stay”

We can't find prices for this hotel
The Sandpiper Beacon Beach Resort
Ranked #6 of 48 Hotels in Panama City Beach
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed July 14, 2005

My husband & I are retired and on a fixed income. I am 67 and he is 70
years old. We were mistreated at the Sandpiper Beacon Beach Resort.
They made us leave because of an altercation with another about the
noice they were making in the middle of the night. The Manager told us
both parties would have to leave. We were staying in one of the villas.
They said they would refund our money but they did not and did not give
me my deposit back on my little Yorkie even though we only allowed to
stay 2 days of the 7 days we paid for. They told another man who was
checking in they didn't allow dogs and they do we have stayed there for
the last four years and always take our Yorkie. He had checked in and was
complaining about his room which was not what he was promised. My
husband and I and our little yorkie, Little Max, left and had to go home
as we did not have any money for another hotel and it broke our hearts
as our grand-daughter has leukemia and this is the first break we have
had in over a year to go on vacation. We only got 2 days of the 7 and
lost all our money to boot as they lied about giving us our money back.
They seem to be running a scam at this place. I advise not to go there.

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (2,118)

Tenn
Reviewed July 12, 2005

Yes I was there during the week of July 2-9 2005 and was asked to leave with the intent that I would get the remander of the money back that I have already paid by cash. I did not get the money back and they have given us the run a round which we felt that we were prisioners in our hotel because they kept telling us to either call back or come by and they would talk to us which they never did. After several days of this we finaly filed our on complaint with the Chambers of Commerece. Which now at this time Sandpiper seems to say it's out of their hands now. Will not be back and will not recomend them to anyone. I have stayed my last visit to Florida at the Sandpiper. it was a nicer place before they bought it from the owners. There were 9 people in the group that always enjoyed the time spent there but not anymore were felt that we were treated with no repect. Could never get any answers out of the staff.
Very disappointed!

• Stayed: July 2005
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
lawrenceville' ga
Reviewed July 9, 2005

we had a family vacation of 9 members, paid total of $2991.85 to stay 7-02-05 thru 7-09-05 in one of the villas. there was a confrontation on 7-04-05 so the hotel general mgr. stated that all parties were to check out and would be refunded the remaining balanced not used, but after we checked out guess what? his story totally changed and our refund of $1709.63 was kept. not only was we out that amount but we had to pay additional monies to another hotel to finish out our vacation. needless to say we had been staying there over the last 5 years but we will never stay there again. the staff management is very rude and will lie to you. not to mention that the very next day they rerented our villa so they were paid double for that villa. sounds like a scam to me what about you?

• Stayed: July 2005
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Unhappy
Reviewed July 5, 2005

You can stay at a nicer hotel for the same price (Maybe even cheaper)and alot better service. Staff seems like it is just a waste of there time to help you. Don't lose your key because it will cost you $35. If you are a teenager or in your early 20's you'll love it. Lots of yelling, screaming, cars honking untill the wee hours of the morning. If you plan on taking your family please do yourself a favor and beleive me when I tell you STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE, or you will be writing the next bad review for this so called motel/hotel.

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 3, 2005

We believe in second chances. So we tried again this year, after problems last year, and they'll not get us a third time. Check out is at 9:00 a.m. Had problems checking in last year, so this year we waited until 3:30 to show up. After going through check-in process (it has to be easier to get national security clearance than to check in this place), we were told it would be another hour. Wouldn't be that bad except we have a frail family member, which we explained to front desk, to no avail. So we drove around and came back in a hour. Got to our "villa", and it was near 90 deg. inside. Upon inspection, & before unpacking cars, we realize the ac's out. Call office who said they'd send maintenance. After 30 minutes of sweltering heat, & no maintenance man, we called back, explained the illness of family member, & that we had noticed room next door was empty. She had to check with manager, and would call back, which she did, saying we could have room next door as long as we brought the keys back to get new keys. ($5.00 deposit per key!) Although they gave us a new room, (hesitantly I might add) we found out later they rented that same hot room to another poor family, without telling them the ac was broken. We figured it out later that night when we started neighborly chats. She was furious, and it took maintenance over 24 hours to fix her ac. Anyway, our "villa" was terribly run down, with bugs; housekeepers were nice, but did not clean very well. Floors were always sticky. Two bedrooms and a bath upstairs, and one small waste can. Too cheap to even furnish waste cans in each room. Commodes didn't flush right, and bathtubs didn't drain right. I mean you would have 2 inches of standing water when you were showering. We had to go get our own deck chairs and table, even though they were furnished last year. Pools are small and crowded. Lazy river area smells bad & although it is heated, you kinda wonder what the bacteria count is. Hotel management has no respect for their guests that pay high dollar for "villa". They charge extra fees for everything. Had to pay $10.00 deposit on remote control that wouldn't work. And when I called, I had to walk 1/2 mile in 100 degree weather to exchange, only to have some young lady point it at her tv to confirm it didn't work. Deli & grocery is laughable. Beach is dirty, not maintained well. Actually, this could be a great family vacation spot, if management would just learn what maintenance and respect really means.

9  Thank TraveladyTennessee
Chattanooga, TN
Reviewed July 2, 2005

We stayed at the Sandpiper the week before the 4th of July and thought it was ok. The room was clean and I never saw any bugs. The beds were small and rock hard. We had an oceanfront room and the view was great on the 7th floor and it was very very tiny but clean. The bathroom was very clean too and the A/C worked excellent. No funny smells either. The pools and deck were clean, but the indoor lazy river and pool area SMELLED LIKE VOMIT! I couldn't bare to stay in there! The oceanfront pool was very small (all the pools were VERY small), the front pool with slides was great for the kids. The staff was very friendly and so was the maid service. I paid $7.50 for a pinacolada! Convenient onsite grocery and gift shop but no food eateries on the premises. Overall I give the place a C, but next year I'm staying at a nicer resort. It's worth the extra $$$ for nicer pools and bigger rooms.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Alabama
Reviewed July 1, 2005

I was very dissappointed in this place. Espically since they make the ad sound so great. They were two parties with us, first off we were on oppsite ends of the resort. Took 10 minutes to get to each others rooms. We stayed on the beach level and the smell out our back door was horrible. It was so bad we could only use the front sliding door. The first night there was a fist fight right in front of our room. We had several small children with us and it wasn't pleasant. I know the hotel can't be responsible for others actions, but really!!! Then the 2nd day my mother-in-law had her wallet stolen and they hotel didn't even call the police or file a report or anything. Showed no concern at all. She lost her licences, credit cards, not to mention $300.00 cash. But I can say we learned our lesson. Don't believe all you see in the ads. You can't believe them. The indoor pool was nice and so was the one with the kids slide but with that many guest it was just to crowded to enjoy. Unless your a young single person looking for a party place this resort isn't for you! At least it wasn't for me and my family.

Stayed: June 2005