The Sandpiper Beacon Beach Resort
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$110
HolidayInn.com
$99
Country Inn
$124
Hampton.com
La Quinta Inn & Suites Panama City Beach Pier Park(Panama City Beach)(Great Value!)
$89
Chateau Motel(Panama City Beach)
$98
  • Pool
Beachcomber By The Sea(Panama City Beach)(Great Value!)
$112
$109
Legacy By The Sea(Panama City Beach)(Great Value!)
$189
$125
Beachside Resort Panama City Beach(Panama City Beach)(Great Value!)
$134
Holiday Terrace Motel(Panama City Beach)(Great Value!)
$115
Travelocity
  • Pool
Bikini Beach Resort(Panama City Beach)(Great Value!)
Travelocity
2,174 results
All reviewslazy riverscavenger huntfun placeice cream shoproom suiteputt putt golfspring breakping pongindoor poolhot tubfamily vacationmovie nightlove this placeacross the streetpanama cityoff seasonocean front
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 27, 2014

First, let me say that I understand that staff at a hotel in Panama City, during Spring Break, could be reasonably expected to be a bit abrupt, disinterested, and someone unconcerned about making a good impression. The place is full of college and high school kids, and many of them go bit beyond the type of behaviors I think they'd participate in were their parents within eye-shot.

But I think the staff at the Sandpiper Beacon may be taking "give-a-damn" to the extreme.

One incident that has me a bit chapped is related to the check-in/check-out procedure. I was asked to provide a $200 damage deposit for the room. I did so on my credit card and was promised that providing there was no damage to the room, my card would be refunded in full within 48 hours of checking out.

So, on checkout day I asked the person behind the desk about the timing of the deposit refund, and was again reassured that I'd see it on my credit card within two days.

Five days later I'd seen no refund. I called the desk and spoke to the representative, and was again assured that I'd see it soon. On the seventh day after check-out I still hadn't seen the refund. I called the front desk and was told by a man who identified himself as the manager, that the refund had been worked from the hotel's end, and that their computer showed the credit card transaction as "pending."

So, I called my bank and asked where the money was. The bank told me that all they saw in their system was the $200 charge to my credit card, and that no refund had yet been made. So I asked the representative if the hotel had sent a transaction to refund my money and their computer showed it "pending," if that activity would be visible from the view of the credit card company. The representative told me that they should see that kind of transaction within minutes of the hotel sending it in. But they saw no "pending" refund. So now, after more than a week the deposit still has not been refunded.

I understand that the hotel has a process they have to follow to protect themselves. But what I don't understand is how they can promise a full refund within 48 hours of check-out, and be so unconcerned that a customer still hasn't had their account credited seven days later.

Now I understand that I could hit the "submit" icon and find out a few minutes later that the refund had been made. But at this moment I'm beyond the one-week point after check-out, and still no refund.

So take this for what it's worth. I recommend that if you stay at the Sandpiper that you make your deposit in cash, so the hotel has to give it to you at check-out. Moreover, I recommend that you take any promise the staff makes with a huge "grain of salt."

In my own experience they haven't lived up to the promise they made. But worse, they don't seem all that disturbed by it.

7  Thank RavenATB
Reviewed March 24, 2014

First the good....
Stayed during spring break with a group of 18 people in two rooms and enjoyed our balcony, beautiful beach, and pools. There were beds for us to sleep on and a beach steps away.

THE BAD!
THE STAFF ARE HORRIBLE! I hate to group all of them into one colossal mess because there were a few kind people on staff but they were far out numbered. They nickel and dimed us for absolutely everything it was absolutely horrendous. We called weeks and days before to make sure we understood everything including a noon check in time for two rooms that sleep 8 people(we had some sleeping on the floor) next to each other so that we could all mingle and hang out. Upon arrival at 2pm we waited in line for SIX HOURS to check in and not in some air conditioned room it was on the side walk in the blaring heat! Finally after arrival at the front desk they said they could have our rooms ready for an extra 10$ each which is 180$ and they could provide rooms next to each other for an extra 20$ each which is 360$!!! We called weeks in advance as stated to insure this problem didn't arise but they insisted! Our group refused and waited long after the sun went down to receive our rooms finally. The rooms are alright but nothing special a burner on the stove didn't work and the chairs at our table felt very wobbly and loose. We reported both and were told they would be replaced which never happened... Towels and toilet paper are available but not enough for eight people and the room cleaning happened every other day which is fine but required us to constantly run to the front desk to grab more towels and toilet paper because they refused to supply more than 4 towels or 2 rolls of toilet paper for Nine people in a room! There is more but I will let your imagination run wild!

READ THIS IF NOTHING ELSE! After arriving home around 11:30pm one night my group of eighteen people in two separate rooms started to play cards and cook a late night snack. We left our doors unlocked but not ajar because we were in the rooms and had a corner on the 3rd floor right next to each other so friends could walk in and out between our two rooms. Soon after we started to hang out a member of the staff who if I read his name tag right GEEREL entered our room without consent!!!!! You read that correctly he opened our unlocked door and entered our private residence that we were paying for unlawfully! No one had given him permission to enter and upon inside he demanded that everyone in the room show us our resort wrist bands which we had been hounded over all week long. When I asked him why he was in our private residence he took extreme offense to it and I quote "you are a real dick for questioning me". NO ONE SHOULD EVER TALK TO A GUEST LIKE THAT! A half hour after he left I opened the door and stepped 3ft in front of my open door to pay a pizza delivery man when Geerel walked by again and mocked me that my door was open and he had permission to enter my room. Absolutely the most horrific experience I have ever had with hotel staff! I did not report Geerel right away because of fear that the staff would retaliate in some way.

I will be leaving a formal complaint with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and HIGHLY recommend no one stays here until they get there act together. Its not even worth it for college kids on spring break who don't mind lowering their standards.

12  Thank kevin w
SandpiperBeacon, Manager at The Sandpiper Beacon Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2016

We apologize for such a late response to your feedback. 2 years have now passed since you visited us, and we have been continually making changes and improvements since then. We are deeply sorry that you didn't enjoy your last stay more. We'd like to invite you to visit us again. We're confident that you'll be pleasantly surprised. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

if you wanna hang out at a super lame bar with high school students and get kicked out for no reason than this is the tiki bar for you!!! The drinks are weak and there's an 8 dollar minimum on one order so have fun buying a drink and a shot to go with that because you can't just buy one drink!! Lame!!!

• Stayed: March 2014
5  Thank Amandalp14
Reviewed March 5, 2014

We paid $800 for the week and have the crappiest room on the top floor facing the road. The rooms are decent but there has been absolutely no hot water since we arrived. The water pressure also is non existent, where it trickles out. After complaining about the hot water multiple times, they still have not offered a solution or any compensation for us. They have been ignoring out complaints and treating us like we are unimportant which is highly unacceptable.

• Stayed: March 2014
13  Thank Jerseygirl1993
SandpiperBeacon, Guest Relations Manager at The Sandpiper Beacon Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2014

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. We are saddened to read that you had unresolved issues during your stay. It is always our goal to make sure our guests have a fun and comfortable visit and we apologize for any problems you may have encountered. We are passing this review along to management and will look into this further. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention and will take steps to improve for future stays. We hope to have you back again in Panama City Beach! :)

Reviewed March 4, 2014

This is a beautiful property and great for Spring Breakers, but be sure to lock up personal items. Cash and other personal items went missing from the room after housekeeping staff cleaned. Be sure to lock up belongings or bring important items with you to the beach.

Room Tip: Lock up belongings
18  Thank Cathy L